Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will reopen on Monday.

#1 2017-03-08 02:15:54

JulieW
Silver Stacker

I apologise for getting caught

The Melbourne Age:

Penalties for failing to declare assets

In 2015 Cory Bernardi and his wife bought a $1 million commercial property in Kent Town, Adelaide. The building now serves as the headquarters for Bernardi's Australian Conservatives party.

But curiously, you won't find any mention of the building on the now independent senator's parliamentary pecuniary interests register. Under the real estate section of his register he lists only a residential property in Canberra.

http://www.theage.com.au/federal-politi … ut9jo.html

2010  Tony Abbott  Failed to declare a $700,000 mortgage for two years. Apologised
2013  Arthur Sinodinos  Failed to declare directorships of six companies. Apologised
2016  Stuart Robert  Had an undeclared financial stake, through a trustee, in a company run by major Liberal Party donor Paul Marks. Lost his frontbench job
2016  Andrew Hastie  Failed to declare $870,000 house ahead of the election campaign. Apologised
2016  David Feeney  Failed to declare he owned a $2.3 million house in Melbourne. Apologised
2016  Bob Day  Accused of having an indirect pecuniary interest in the Commonwealth due to a complex arrangement around his electorate office. Day has since resigned from the Senate, the case is before the High Court
2016  Nick Xenophon  Failed to declare a directorship of a company run by his father. Apologised
2017  Michaelia Cash  Failed to declare a mortgage on a $1.4 million investment property. Apologised

Before the Westminster System was abolished by self interest and greed, any of the above would have required resignation from Cabinet and most likely resignation of the Prime Minister. Howard broke the system and since then these reptiles have run amok.

Last edited by JulieW (2017-03-08 02:18:09)

The following user says thank you for this post: Greg Williams

#2 2017-03-08 02:44:50

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
Trades :   39 

Re: I apologise for getting caught

could not be bothered watching the full interview, but Michaelia was 8 days late in lodging while she was on holidays.

8 out of 150 ministers so 5%, not stella but I would have thought worse.

WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

#3 2017-03-08 03:11:56

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Trades :   102 
Website

JulieW wrote:

Before the Westminster System was abolished by self interest and greed, any of the above would have required resignation from Cabinet and most likely resignation of the Prime Minister. Howard broke the system and since then these reptiles have run amok.

Just being my usually pedantic self, but the Westminster system hasn't been abolished and has nothing to do with politicians failing to declare pecuniary interests. The Westminster system is a set of procedures, not a moral code. What you are trying to do is point out that modern politicians are somehow less ethical than their predecessors.

Which I also happen to disagree with. wink

The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.
"The Woolgrower's Companion", 1906.

#4 2017-03-08 03:30:15

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
Trades :   39 

Question is should we uphold politicians to a higher code.

If we got 150 active SS members would the numbers be much different better or worse on declaring assets and income to ATO?

WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

#5 2017-03-08 03:37:42

Shaddam IV
Silver Stacker

Bill Shorten hid a $40,000.00 political donation paid to him by a company 6 days before he went there to "negotiate" with that company for the pay and conditions of it's workers that he was representing as a union rep. Needless to say Bill took the money, the workers were shafted and he neglected to fulfill his legal requirement to inform the AEC of the donation for 9 years until 4 days before he had to front a royal commission when he suddenly remembered to declare the donation. Crooked to his very core.

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: ag_n_au_in_oz, fosinator

#6 2017-03-08 04:15:11

JulieW
Silver Stacker

mmm....shiney! wrote:
JulieW wrote:

Just being my usually pedantic self, but the Westminster system hasn't been abolished and has nothing to do with politicians failing to declare pecuniary interests. The Westminster system is a set of procedures, not a moral code. What you are trying to do is point out that modern politicians are somehow less ethical than their predecessors.

Which I also happen to disagree with. wink

Actually the WS is, in part, "the buck stops here", which no longer applies as it was traditionally.  An independent public service is, arguably, no longer in place.

But you're right, the venality and corruption is no worse than in the past, it's just that the consequences, if caught, are so much lessened.

And yes, I should have said "Westminster Tradition".

The following user says thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!

#7 2017-03-08 04:43:02

Stoic Phoenix
Silver Stacker
Trades :   182 
Website

So which ones were traditional??????? I'm saying nil.

The tenets of a Westminster system require:

* Public servants to be committed to the provision of a high standard of independent, evidence-based advice to Government and to the efficient, effective and ethical implementation of Government decisions
*  Public servants to avoid making any statement or action that could lead to perceptions that standards of advice or implementation are affected by political factors
* Levels of mutual respect between public servants and the Government, and between public servants themselves, that permit a free flow of ideas and information without fear of reprisal and that also accept the ultimate responsibilities of ministers and managers to make decisions
* A career structure for public servants that is independent from political and other forms of patronage and that is based on merit
* stakeholder confidence that decisions by public servants are not affected by their personal, financial, political or other interests or those of their relatives or friends.

www.searchnstay.com    ....for all your accommodation needs worldwide

#8 2017-03-08 05:53:58

JulieW
Silver Stacker

The arrival of teams of consultants and Ministers moving their own departments into assist them swatted the Westminster traditions for Public Servants. You don't have to go back awfully far to find a time when Public Servants were zipped up and Ministers were the responsible party.  That has disappeared, along with Ministerial responsibility.

p.s. witness the ducking and weaving over the Pink Batts when the PS basically ignored their own advice, Garrett tried to bluff it out and the end result was nothing much.

Last edited by JulieW (2017-03-08 05:55:20)

Board footer