Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will reopen on Monday.

#1 2016-11-24 06:48:43

southerncross
Silver Stacker

Who broke the law the Cop or the Freeman ?

Due in court soon, be interesting to see the outcome.

A SUNSHINE Coast driver has gone viral after posting a video to Youtube where he fights the law and appears to win.

In the video a man identified as "Mr Summers" refuses to take a breath test, throwing all manner of arguments at a clearly frustrated police officer.

"Am I under arrest or am I free to go?" Summers asks the officer repeatedly as he attempts to tell him he has been stopped for the purpose of a road side breath test,

After a heated discussion about the validity of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act the driver continues to argue the point. 

"Really? You're going to be serious about this? You're going to play this game? You're going to arrest me when I've broken no law, I've done nothing wrong," Summers says.

The police officer appears to back down in the video saying: ""Mr Summers, we'll be seeing you later on. Have a nice day."

However that's not the full story with police now confirming they did indeed see the man later.

"Police stopped a driver on Elm Street Cooroy at about 5pm on November 10," a police spokesman said today. 

"The driver failed to supply a specimen of breath.

"On November 14 police served a 33-year-old Pomona man with a notice to appear for failing to supply a specimen of breath and he is expected to appear at the Noosa Magistrates Court on December 13."

http://www.qt.com.au/news/driver-refuse … w/3112582/

Why did the copper let him on his way ?

#2 2016-11-24 07:11:58

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Re: Who broke the law the Cop or the Freeman ?

The following user says thank you for this post: fishtaco

#3 2016-11-24 07:15:10

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Copper let him on his way because the game wasn't worth the candle. He had the number plate and probably a good image. Why go dramatic and cause a fuss when the boys at the station can follow it up.

#4 2016-11-24 09:42:49

southerncross
Silver Stacker

So the cop thinks he has the law on his side, but then lets a person pass by a supposed legal stop and breath test ?
He had a radio and the full force of the law behind him, but let him go on his way when challenged by somebody who respectfully asked legitimate questions about the actual due process and the legality of it ?
How many times have you ever seen that happen without backup being called and a person dragged from their vehicle ?

I doubt the result would of been the same if it was not being filmed at the time. The cop let him go, did not place him under arrest for refusing a breath test then and there, so what charge is the guy now facing ?

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: bordsilver, dragafem, radiobirdman

#5 2016-11-24 12:11:52

Jim4silver
Trades :   

I don't know the law in Oz, but some states in the US have made it a criminal offense to refuse a breath test.  However, before they can ask you to take the test, a person must be under arrest for DUI, and that arrest must be based on probable cause.  In my state, it is not a crime to refuse the test but you will receive a revocation of driving privileges if you refuse and were at the time under arrest for DUI and said arrest is found to be proper.

In the US they also allow DUI traffic checkpoints.  Although facially unconstitutional (police stop and detain without any probable cause of crime committed or even reasonable suspicion of a crime committed - enough to trigger a Terry stop and frisk), the courts have upheld them in many states as long as the cops use certain pre-selected criteria to stop the vehicle, ex, stop every car, every other car, etc.  In other words they can't just pick out cars based on the car or driver's appearance.  The criteria need to be set up ahead of time and put in writing.  If the cops deviate from the criteria, the driver's case can be thrown out (if handled properly by counsel) under the exclusionary rule.

The checkpoint is supposed to be done quickly and the cop will talk to the driver to see if they smell booze or the driver otherwise looks drunk.  I don't think the checkpoints should be allowed personally but I don't make the laws.

PS  An interesting situation occurs if a person refuses to roll down their window.  Some jurisdictions have separate laws that make it an offense to "fail to obey a lawful command by a police officer", so the guy who refuses to roll down his window at a checkpoint could be arrested for refusing to cooperate in a sense.

Jim

Last edited by Jim4silver (2016-11-24 12:16:28)

#6 2016-11-24 16:33:35

boneyard
Silver Stacker
Website

http://www.carr.org.au/self-incrimination.htm

an interesting read on SELF INCRIMINATION.

comments welcome...

"We should know where we're going, so we know when we get there..."

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: sammysilver, southerncross, radiobirdman

#7 2016-11-24 17:03:59

Court Jester
Silver Stacker
Trades :   41 

he will be found guilty and have his licence suspended for a number of months.

<--------------------------------------------------------- SIDEWAYS --------------------------------------------------------->
quote=sammysilver 25/10/13  ----- PMs will drive silver to over $30 by Christmas with the GSR dropping to sub 50. I've overextended myself at sub $24 but will keep buying up to $30 then sell half my stack at Easter at $36 and buy up on the next dip if there is one.
Running Telly of incorrect to correct Predictions by SammySilver -- 7:1 as of 10/08/16

#8 2016-11-25 05:40:58

fishtaco
Silver Stacker
Trades :   59 

Jim4silver wrote:

I don't know the law in Oz, but some states in the US have made it a criminal offense to refuse a breath test.  However, before they can ask you to take the test, a person must be under arrest for DUI, and that arrest must be based on probable cause.  In my state, it is not a crime to refuse the test but you will receive a revocation of driving privileges if you refuse and were at the time under arrest for DUI and said arrest is found to be proper.

In the US they also allow DUI traffic checkpoints.  Although facially unconstitutional (police stop and detain without any probable cause of crime committed or even reasonable suspicion of a crime committed - enough to trigger a Terry stop and frisk), the courts have upheld them in many states as long as the cops use certain pre-selected criteria to stop the vehicle, ex, stop every car, every other car, etc.  In other words they can't just pick out cars based on the car or driver's appearance.  The criteria need to be set up ahead of time and put in writing.  If the cops deviate from the criteria, the driver's case can be thrown out (if handled properly by counsel) under the exclusionary rule.

The checkpoint is supposed to be done quickly and the cop will talk to the driver to see if they smell booze or the driver otherwise looks drunk.  I don't think the checkpoints should be allowed personally but I don't make the laws.

PS  An interesting situation occurs if a person refuses to roll down their window.  Some jurisdictions have separate laws that make it an offense to "fail to obey a lawful command by a police officer", so the guy who refuses to roll down his window at a checkpoint could be arrested for refusing to cooperate in a sense.

Jim

Jim in Australia every driver is liable to be stopped and breath/drug tested at any time, there does not need to be probable cause of DUI or any traffic offence. We have booze busts where every driver is pulled over along a section of road and breath tested, if you blow over the limit 0.05 you are taken to a bus (coach) where they do a more thorough breath test. we do not have sobriety roadside tests police can breathalyse you whenever they please and for no cause. Failing to give a random roadside breath test even if you have not had a single drink will result in a drink drive conviction.

In Australia it is called "random breath tests"

Gold is what you desire! if silver is all you can afford consider cheese its tastier.

#9 2016-11-25 06:11:28

fishtaco
Silver Stacker

Court Jester wrote:

he will be found guilty and have his licence suspended for a number of months.

I agree! he failed to give a random breath test and the court magistrate will fine him and suspend his licence to drive for 3 to 12 months depending on his attitude before the magistrate.

This of course may mean nothing to him as he will dispute the legality of the driving ban and fine issued even though the idiot accepted to be a licensed to drive participant to a state divers test  in the first instance and has continued to pay for the renewal of a state issued license to drive.

Gold is what you desire! if silver is all you can afford consider cheese its tastier.

The following user says thank you for this post: millededge

#10 2016-11-25 06:25:09

millededge
Trades :   16 

Done like a dinner.

Police are typically prosocial, in spite of current media brainwashing.

Times are changing, though. Breath and saliva testing seems reasonable, but no way is the present grey legal scenario regarding police recording equipment

From a civil rights view and anti-totalitarian view too, there is no way recording should be conducted without informing the filmed.

If this becomes norm, it will extend elsewhere. It already has in phone contact with government agencies as sound signatures for voice are highly specific, better than Shazam.

#11 2016-11-25 06:35:12

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

millededge wrote:

Done like a dinner.

Police are typically prosocial, in spite of current media brainwashing.

Times are changing, though. Breath and saliva testing seems reasonable, but no way is the present grey legal scenario regarding police recording equipment

From a civil rights view and anti-totalitarian view too, there is no way recording should be conducted without informing the filmed.

If this becomes norm, it will extend elsewhere. It already has in phone contact with government agencies as sound signatures for voice are highly specific, better than Shazam.

Breath and spit tests seem reasonable, no fcking way is that reasonable its an invasion of common law rights, have never given a sample of meself to the pigs ever the tnuc's are lucky I even stop occasionally to give them shit

The following user says thank you for this post: southerncross

#12 2016-11-25 06:44:22

fishtaco
Silver Stacker

boneyard wrote:

comments welcome...

This is true for any arrest situation not just motoring offences!

You cannot be arrested or convicted for saying "nothing" other than the required "correct" name address and date of birth if asked.

In court it cannot be used against you the fact that you failed to respond to questions put to you by police or arresting/interviewing officers other than the required name address and date of birth.

Most people "convict themselves" either at the police interview level or by making the mistake of telling their legal representative the truth if they are in fact guilty.

Those people knowingly guilty of a crime and arrested for it need to lie to their legal representative because the legal representative cannot defend as innocent a confessed guilty person unless they themselves do not abide by the law.

Although a motorcycle helmet and a thick phone book usually has most silent interviewee answering all police questions put to them to secure an arrest!  smile

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: southerncross, radiobirdman

#13 2016-11-25 06:47:20

millededge
Trades :   16 

It (voice print) will extend given it is in effect the audiographic parallel of the fingerprint. It is even better in some ways, very sensitive, specific, cheap and immediately transmissible across the globe.

The issue is consent. Does anyone bat an eyelid when the shame-spotlight is focused on a drunken or drugged driver on TV? There are TV shows on this every evening.

Does it make any difference?

I see it in terms of a progressive encroachment by an opaque bureaucratic executive which is increasingly unaccountable in the ways that other public servants are mandated, ethically and legally to behave in a way which serves the public good.

Also in terms of what the law actually is:

Legislated Force

Since it is that, an agreed action by a group of people, forcefully against another, then we better ensure it is for our good.

#14 2016-11-25 06:49:38

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

fishtaco wrote:
boneyard wrote:

comments welcome...

This is true for any arrest situation not just motoring offences!

You cannot be arrested or convicted for saying "nothing" other than the required "correct" name address and date of birth if asked.

In court it cannot be used against you the fact that you failed to respond to questions put to you by police or arresting/interviewing officers other than the required name address and date of birth.

Most people "convict themselves" either at the police interview level or by making the mistake of telling their legal representative the truth if they are in fact guilty.

Those people knowingly guilty of a crime and arrested for it need to lie to their legal representative because the legal representative cannot defend as innocent a confessed guilty person unless they themselves do not abide by the law.

Although a motorcycle helmet and a thick phone book usually has most silent interviewee answering all police questions put to them to secure an arrest!  smile

No comment interview is all they get, if they smack you smack them back the pricks give up eventually and treat you like a human

#15 2016-11-25 08:37:58

trew
Silver Stacker
Trades :   

The driver broke the law.

If driving a vehicle on a public road he can be required to provide a breath sample and it is an offense not to provide one.

He can be as freeman as he likes walking or riding a horse

Cop is just doing his job and this dipshit spends 10 minutes arguing the validity of the law and obviously baiting the officer to arrest him with a camera rolling

#16 2016-11-25 08:48:05

adze67
Silver Stacker
Trades :   396 
Website

I don't "drive", so therefore I am not a "driver"...a driver needs to be licenced (eg. taxi driver, bus driver, truck driver etc.) as they are acting in commerce and are therefore under the jurisdiction of the private contractors (policy enforcers) and using government ID for the commercial activity...as a human being I am, by birthright, able to travel anywhere I like across the planet (on the "King's Highways) without molestation by "Pirates"...their "offer to contract" of performing a breath test is just that, an offer...if you don't wish to contract, and are not acting in commerce, then don't...unless they are willing to pay for your time don't give it to them...if you don't know your rights then you don't have any cool

Hope for the Best...but Plan for the Worst ;-)
Tin Foil Hat Brigade Member
WBI : 6.5 hmm

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: radiobirdman, dragafem

#17 2016-11-25 08:53:53

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

trew wrote:

If driving a vehicle on a public road he can be required to provide a breath sample and it is an offense not to provide one.

Cop is just doing his job and this dipshit spends 10 minutes arguing the validity of the law and obviously baiting the officer to arrest him with a camera rolling

Its against the law supposedly to ride a horse or a push bike pissed

Nothing wrong with being free and respecting common law principles.
I was born a British subject and will die one as far as the law is concerned

Always have a traveller when going for a long drive or when I was coming home from work, tis an on the spot fine now , but that is there problem not mine.
F%ck  I'm probably 301 on the list

#18 2016-11-25 09:10:58

adze67
Silver Stacker
Website

Not sure if anybody realises it but "Statutes" (all the BS "regulations" they make up on a near daily basis) only have the effect of Law if you consent to them...Consent of the Governed?? hmm
Don't be a slave of the corporation masquerading as the "de-jure" government (which is in fact a de-facto government)...if you cause no harm, and there is no victim to bring claim against you, then there is no crime merely a "rule breach"...as football rules apply to football players and cricket rules apply to cricket players so too do government rules apply to government players (if you don't play for the government, their "rules" don't apply to you smile )

Definition of statute
:  a law enacted by the legislative branch of a government
an act of a corporation or of its founder intended as a permanent rule
:  an international instrument setting up an agency and regulating its scope or authority

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/statute

Biblical terminology
In biblical terminology, statute (Hebrew chok) refers to a law given without any reason or justification.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute

Fun fact - I can't tell you what to do and you can't tell me what to do...so how can either of us delegate a power, that neither of us has, to "government??  roll

The following user says thank you for this post: radiobirdman

#19 2016-11-25 09:33:07

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

Maybe slaves should ask their masters why they become citizens as well as British subjects in the late 40s
while your at it ask why we stopped being British subject and become only citizens/slaves in the 80s

And who the F*CK is the queen of Australia

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: adze67, dollars

#20 2016-11-25 10:06:39

southerncross
Silver Stacker

trew wrote:

Not according to the Constitution and Common Law, I highly recommend you read the link posted above by boneyard .
There are statute laws passed by legislature, but under both common and constitutional law they do not stand up to scrutiny and have no force as proved by LEGAL precedent in this regard.
If you are not under arrest the police have no real right to stop you at all, you are not even required to answer any of their questions,
nor are you required under law to incriminate yourself in any way at all.   

My bet on this one is that the police prosecutors will drop this if he attempts to fight it in court as they will not want a legal precedent proved in the court for others to use in future.

15.89 The Common Law privilege against self-incrimination entitles a person to refuse to answer any question, or produce any document, if the answer or the production would tend to incriminate that person.[123] Although broadly referred to as the privilege against self-incrimination, the concept encompasses three distinct privileges: a privilege against self-incrimination in criminal matters; a privilege against self-exposure to a civil or administrative penalty (including any monetary penalty which might be imposed by a court or an administrative authority, but excluding private civil proceedings for damages); and a privilege against self-exposure to the forfeiture of an existing right (which is less commonly invoked).

Verbal statements
    Documents
    Books
    Magazines
    Personal notes
    Computer data files
    Mobile phone data
    Breath alcohol samples
    Blood alcohol samples
    DNA samples
    Hair and tissue samples
    Saliva samples
    Semen samples

"There is no Common Law power vested in police giving them the unfettered right to stop or detain a person and seek identification details. Nor, is s.59 of the (Road Safety) Act a statutory source of such power."
Magistrate Duncan Reynolds - Melbourne - July 2013

"It is an ancient principle of the Common Law that a person not under arrest has no obligation to stop for police, or answer their questions. And there is no statute that removes that right. The conferring of such a power on a police officer would be a substantial detraction from the fundamental freedoms which have been guaranteed to the citizen by the Common Law for centuries."
Judge Stephen Kaye – Melbourne Supreme Court ruling - 25 November 2011

Police are Public Servants and while upholding the law must actually follow it to the letter of the Law as well. They are paid from Taxes taken from every working Australian.
They are to Serve and Protect. Not revenue raise and harass.

The Policeman's/Woman's Oath.
I……………………DO SWEAR – THAT – I WILL WELL AND TRULY SERVE – OUR SOVEREIGN LADY THE QUEEN – AS A POLICE OFFICER WITHOUT FAVOUR OR AFFECTION – MALICE OR ILL-WILL – UNTIL I AM LEGALLY DISCHARGED – THAT I WILL SEE AND CAUSE – HER MAJESTY'S PEACE TO BE KEPT AND PRESERVED – AND THAT – I WILL PREVENT TO THE BEST OF MY POWER – ALL OFFENCES AGAINST THAT PEACE – AND THAT – WHILE I CONTINUE TO BE A POLICE OFFICER – I WILL – TO THE BEST OF MY SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE – DISCHARGE ALL THE DUTIES THEREOF – FAITHFULLY – ACCORDING TO LAW.
SO HELP ME GOD.

Australian Law has it's roots in British Common Law going all the way back to Magna Carta, The Australian Constitution passed by British Parliament in 1900 and enacted in 1901 along with Common Law is the basis of our legal rights as citizens of Australia.

We, You, Me have inalienable rights in both Common Law and the Constitution that can not be overridden by any statute law unless specifically amended or via set precedent in law, other than a proclamation by the Queen herself.

I have a decent amount of respect for Police Officers and the work they perform, most are very decent people and do serve and protect, but they must also abide by the law and not become one unto themselves, or just become plain old revenue raisers for the state, and that unfortunately for both us and them seems to be their major role in this day and age.

You and others can call the guy a dipshit, idiot, whatever but he is infact absolutely right in what he said, and is obviously well researched and knows the law as it stands better than the copper himself. People have been continually conditioned to not question, obey assumed authority, cop it sweet, pay their fines and not raise a fuss over many decades.

The LAW actually has an origin and a purpose, and it is not what the majority actually think, It has been developed and designed over century's to enshrine the rights of the individual against tyranny, not to make the individual the milking cow of the state and subject them to undue restraint and control measures. 

Feel free to give away your personal legal rights and that is what will happen time and again, especially when it comes to the lucrative source of income that the states roads raise every month year on year.

The increase in the number of issued speeding tickets and removal of 'Speed camera in use' warning signs comes just two years after tolerance of Queensland's speed cameras dropped from 10 per cent over the limit before June 2013 to 3km/h in late 2013 (no official tolerance figure has ever been publicly revealed, but sources inside Queensland Police have told CarAdvice that it's set at 3km/h).

The net effect saw tickets for 'low-level speeding' increase by 47 per cent in 2014, majority of which were previously under the tolerance. The difference netted the Queensland Government $5.7 million in additional revenue in that year alone.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/416913/qld- … naffected/
And that is ADITTIONAL revenue:

How much are we paying in fines?
The amount of revenue collected from traffic fines is not always clearly discernible from other non-traffic statutory and court fines in State/Territory budgets. In NSW, $339 million in revenue was collected from fines during 2011-12iv. In Queensland, the government is expecting to raise $300 million in revenue from fines and forfeitures in 2011-2012v. In Victoria, it was revealed that road safety camera fines, police on-the-spot fines and toll road evasion fines generated $256.9 million, $125.7 million and $109.7 million in revenue respectively, in 2011-12vi.

https://www.allianz.com.au/car-insuranc … e-assessed

And that happened when nearly all vehicles speedos have an inbuilt 10% variance, and that none of this revenue increase has dropped road casualty's at all.

The third tier of "Local Gov't", via council regulations is another matter all together, but I wont go there right now.

Go ahead , give up your own individual rights under Sovereign law, but don't snipe at others when they feel like holding onto them.

Last edited by southerncross (2016-11-25 10:28:33)

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: radiobirdman, adze67, renovator

#21 2016-11-25 10:22:07

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

Have little to no respect for the police since I seen the way they harassed me old man and other truck owner drivers after Whitlam got in
The pigs along with all the little hitlers in there new public so called service jobs set about socializing the shit out of the place for big business at the expense of all the small ones

The following user says thank you for this post: adze67

#22 2016-11-25 10:29:19

adze67
Silver Stacker
Website

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin
https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/14/how-t … -security/

*oh, and when you think of "service", such as Telstra or any government department (subsidiary), think of the farmer getting a Bull in to "service" his cows...then you'll understand the "service" you're being provided lol

#23 2016-11-25 10:33:39

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

adze67 wrote:

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Benjamin Franklin
https://techcrunch.com/2014/02/14/how-t … -security/

*oh, and when you think of "service", such as Telstra or any government department (subsidiary), think of the farmer getting a Bull in to "service" his cows...then you'll understand the "service" you're being provided lol

hahahaha So f#cking true,  I am starting to think the slaves are starting enjoy getting serviced by the bull of late, snowflakes anyone

The following user says thank you for this post: southerncross

#24 2016-11-25 10:49:14

southerncross
Silver Stacker

radiobirdman wrote:

Have little to no respect for the police since I seen the way they harassed me old man and other truck owner drivers after Whitlam got in
The pigs along with all the little hitlers in there new public so called service jobs set about socializing the shit out of the place for big business at the expense of all the small ones

I actually have quite a bit of sympathy for the decent ones amongst them, in a very difficult job. There are quite a few really.
The bloke in the vid above did an excellent job and carried himself with the attitude and decorum you would want to see in a Police Officer.
Some might of dragged the bloke out of the vehicle by his hair, smashed his phone and destroyed the memory card, deleted their own footage and given him a phonebook makeover.
I've personally run into quite a few Pig's in my time, but also seen some really decent human beings just doing their job as well as.
Some of the crap they put up with is unbelievably horrific and tragic, endless domestic violence and just plain old drunken dickheads and flookwits day in day out.

For people to want to do this for a living, and still act with respect to a citizen, is reason for me to still give them respect.
Until they prove otherwise of course, but I don't tar them all with the with the same brush.

Last edited by southerncross (2016-11-25 10:51:34)

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: adze67, bordsilver

#25 2016-11-25 11:06:46

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

southerncross wrote:
radiobirdman wrote:

I actually have quite a bit of sympathy for the decent ones amongst them, in a very difficult job. There are quite a few really.
The bloke in the vid above did an excellent job and carried himself with the attitude and decorum you would want to see in a Police Officer.
Some might of dragged the bloke out of the vehicle by his hair, smashed his phone and destroyed the memory card, deleted their own footage and given him a phonebook makeover.
I've personally run into quite a few Pig's in my time, but also seen some really decent human beings just doing their job as well as.
Some of the crap they put up with is unbelievably horrific and tragic, endless domestic violence and just plain old drunken dickheads and flookwits day in day out.

For people to want to do this for a living, and still act with respect to a citizen, is reason for me to still give them respect.
Until they prove otherwise of course, but I don't tar them all with the with the same brush.

If they earn my respect, and a few have they get it back, not if they still try and charge me tho unless I am really doing something that I feel was wrong and decide to accept the punishment(this happens very rarely),even met a few that will admit to being British subjects  while they proceed to let me off for hassling me un needlessly

I do get the odd little lady copper pulling a gun on me when I get a bit rude and offensive to them as there trying to get me to comply a few blokes as well, goes with the job I suppose

Edit to add, have not got a criminal record of any sort , have never been charged for assaulting the cops and have never whinged copping a flogging of a few of them.
As far as I know most cops are bigger crims than me and they know it

Last edited by radiobirdman (2016-11-25 11:31:15)

The following user says thank you for this post: Silver bullitt

Board footer