Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is temporarily disabled due to a spam attack.

#1 2015-10-01 22:58:58

Bullion Baron
Silver Stacker
Trades :   139 
Website

Bullion Baron: Defining a Housing Bubble

61_bullion_baron_header_ss.gif

A lot of people have been using the term 'bubble' to describe the Australian housing market, others say we don't have one and Former Treasury secretary Martin Parkinson recently suggested it was the wrong question to be asking (i.e. do we have a bubble?), a comment I recently agreed with.

The problem with debating whether or not we have a bubble is that, like the term affordability, it's definition is subjective... Read More

CONTINUED: Defining a Housing Bubble

#2 2015-10-01 23:25:12

aleks
Silver Stacker
Trades :   21 

Re: Bullion Baron: Defining a Housing Bubble

What I find most interesting at the moment is the Australian city growth comparisons, I haven't looked at much of the data, but in a healthy market I get the impression that the averages should confirm each other. Seeing that Brisbane growth has barely moved, while Perth and Darwin in negative grow does not look good. However my comments are only really based on the ABS june 2015 end of quarter data and the post GFC city growth data that you posted so not really conclusive.

Only you have your best financial interest at heart, be your own guru

The following user says thank you for this post: Bullion Baron

#3 2015-10-02 00:40:14

silversearcher
Silver Stacker
Trades :   11 

Re: Bullion Baron: Defining a Housing Bubble

Good article...The trouble is Australia has some of the highest populated cities per capita the on planet.  Melbourne and Sydney's combined population is over 8 million respectively. So if there was a "bubble" in those two major cities,  it could severely impact the entire country economically and sociologically. As for many larger regional towns or cities you would expect no impact. As many have had high unemployment and no housing growth for 5 years. So you would expect that to remain unchanged and impervious to any housing bubble. In the past the Fed would lift rates to cool a bubble, but that scenario looks out of the question....

Cheers.

The following user says thank you for this post: Bullion Baron

Board footer