Announcement

Forum registration is open.

#1 2015-07-30 06:52:57

Chubbsng
Silver Stacker
Trades :   22 

Is anyone investing in art?

Is anyone here investing in art?

I've just started and similar to buying PMs, it becomes addictive quick and money gets spent rapidly.

Party time is anytime and anytime is party time

WTB: Any ASEs & silver pandas. 1/10 gold pandas. Any interesting or well priced Pamp gear.

#2 2015-07-30 06:55:33

willrocks
Silver Stacker
Trades :   29 

Re: Is anyone investing in art?

I had a painting bequeathed to me. A NZ landscape piece from the mid 1800s. Worth 5-10K, but would never sell it.

"You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

#3 2015-07-30 07:17:10

ozcopper
Administrator
Website

There is a big art auction in Bowral this weekend.

#4 2015-07-30 07:45:27

wrcmad
Silver Stacker
Trades :   118 

Chubbsng wrote:

I've just started and similar to buying PMs, it becomes addictive quick and money gets spent rapidly.

I have a handful of Picasso's (yes really), but none of them are oils.
My real fetish is semi-modern Asian ceramics (yes, no shit again) - or more precisely one particular niche market of Asian ceramics. smile

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable.  wink

Manipulation..... If you want to continually subscribe to this idea then get out of precious metals. Only a fool would play a game that is completely rigged. As you still are in the game, I would say that you are not completely convinced of the manipulation ...

#5 2015-07-30 08:34:26

hiho
Silver Stacker
Trades :   270 

Have been looking at this space recently myself, lots of aussie art out there, picking the artist,niche and period is key

#6 2015-07-30 08:40:00

Naphthalene Man
Silver Stacker
Trades :   101 

I looked at it a while ago. Wanted an artist who was old, well known and likely to die in the relative near future. Decided on Rolf Harris - now look at what he's gone and done!

''Up ahead they's a thousand' lives we might live, but when it comes, it'll only be one''
- Ma in John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.

The following 8 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, col0016, sterling-nz, Jislizard, Revils, Rick SA, Ipv6Ready, Sneakypeen

#7 2015-07-30 08:43:13

willrocks
Silver Stacker
Trades :   29 

Naphthalene Man wrote:

I looked at it a while ago. Wanted an artist who was old, well known and likely to die in the relative near future. Decided on Rolf Harris - now look at what he's gone and done!

Look at the bright side ... he's now behind bars, where he belongs.

"You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

#8 2015-07-30 09:00:01

Chubbsng
Silver Stacker

Naphthalene Man wrote:

Ha that's great. Is there any value in his infamy?

If mein kampf can still be getting printed then infamy counts for heaps.

Then again, killing millions of people is probably better than touching kids or whatever old mate Rolf did.

Party time is anytime and anytime is party time

WTB: Any ASEs & silver pandas. 1/10 gold pandas. Any interesting or well priced Pamp gear.

#9 2015-07-30 09:32:29

SilverKendo
Trades :   

I've recently gotten interested in religious prints by the Jewish artist Hermann Fechenbach (http://www.hermannfechenbach.com/) and the Mexican print artist José Guadalupe Posada (http://publicdomainreview.org/collections/the-calaveras-of-jose-guadalupe-posada/ most famous for his political art and turning politicians into Day of the Dead skeletons/sugar skulls). These are more for collecting and display not investing but I still like it. I am also commissioning a prominent local painter to do a graduation portrait of my wife since she will be graduating with her master's degree from Johns Hopkins this month (http://patrickkluga.com/). I have a few interesting Dutch oils from the 19th cen. as well as some interesting bronzes. Again not so much as an investment but because I liked the subject matter.

#10 2015-07-30 09:42:17

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Trades :   122 
Website

wrcmad wrote:
Chubbsng wrote:

Honestly, oils don't really go well in the Bentley anyway. A few sketches for the chaps to peruse is the better choice.

wrcmad wrote:

My real fetish is semi-modern Asian ceramics (yes, no shit again) -

I was with you up until "ceramics".

Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

The following user says thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!

#11 2015-07-30 15:51:11

wrcmad
Silver Stacker
Trades :   118 

SilverPete wrote:

wrcmad wrote:

My real fetish is semi-modern Asian ceramics (yes, no shit again) -

I was with you up until "ceramics".

Yeah... weird hey? lol

Last edited by wrcmad (2015-07-30 15:58:43)

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable.  wink

Manipulation..... If you want to continually subscribe to this idea then get out of precious metals. Only a fool would play a game that is completely rigged. As you still are in the game, I would say that you are not completely convinced of the manipulation ...

#12 2015-07-30 19:18:34

ozcopper
Administrator
Website

26_art_auction.jpg

#13 2015-07-30 22:35:05

Jislizard
Silver Stacker
Trades :   57 

I have some paintings up around the place, Gloria Petyarre, Louise Numina, Koonarang Nunuccal, Abie Loy Kemarre, Mitjili Napurrula and a few odds and ends.

There doesn't seem to be much interest abroad for the paintings and there are so many over here that I don't think of them as an investment, just something nice to look at on the wall.

I would like to get hold of some pochoir paintings of the Blue Mountains by Mel Jones but that would involve tracking them down and I think she has moved on to other subjects now.

You can probably make a bit of money doing it but you would need to really be in to it, not just taking advice from a gallery owner or going on personal preference.

I did look into buying art and then leasing it to companies wanting to put it up in their offices but I am not sure that anyone would bother renting art, it is cheap enough as it is.

Now stacking: World Junk Silver Coins.
Swap your older, worn, dirty fractional silver coins for fiat, .999 rounds or legal tender. 
Individual coins, mixed lots or bulk. 
Not looking for Australian, bent, holed or damaged coins, thanks!

#14 2015-07-30 22:43:06

dragafem
Silver Stacker
Trades :   439 

I heard that aboriginal paintings are getting more and more interest overseas...art is nice to look at but when-if-the [email protected] comes what are you gonna do with it?

#15 2015-07-30 23:00:35

Jislizard
Silver Stacker
Trades :   57 

dragafem wrote:

I heard that aboriginal paintings are getting more and more interest overseas...art is nice to look at but when-if-the [email protected] comes what are you gonna do with it?

Every now-and-then there is a trip over to Europe with some aboriginal art and it goes down well at the time but the acrylics painted on canvas in every colour under the Sun and reproduced over and over again is not what they are looking for overseas. They want the earth tones on wood bark, or woven baskets from native plants that don't actually hold anything.

For fun, every time we go to Sydney we pop into the art shops around the tourist areas and look at what is available.  There is alway Gloria Petyarre in whatever size and colour combination you want, and if they don't have it, just go to the one next door.  Anyway, when I first went back in 2005 the Petyarre and Mitjili's were all going for $10,000 (I got smaller versions from ebay for about $200) went back this year and you can pick up the same things for $5,000. Maybe they have saturated the markets or maybe the tourists don't have so much to spend or maybe art in general is not doing so well but if you were buying as an investment you would be in a bad mood, might as well have wasted your money on silver.

I intend to enjoy life until the SHTF, after all, it may never actually happen.

In which case being surrounded by nice things will be better than constantly living in fear of something bad happening.

I haven't spent a lot of money on canvases so I could happily walk away from them, the walls on which they are hanging are worth far more value.

Now stacking: World Junk Silver Coins.
Swap your older, worn, dirty fractional silver coins for fiat, .999 rounds or legal tender. 
Individual coins, mixed lots or bulk. 
Not looking for Australian, bent, holed or damaged coins, thanks!

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: dragafem, Rick SA

#16 2015-07-31 03:09:51

Revils
Silver Stacker
Trades :   53 

I have a friend who is an artist in Adelaide, I'm happy she's not that well known because it means I can still afford to buy her work.

#17 2015-10-16 04:30:48

milkyspot
Trades :   

i am in art, mostly asian and european.

The following user says thank you for this post: spannermonkey

#18 2015-10-16 05:17:32

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker
Trades :   228 

Tomorrow I'm picking up a 5ft tall painting of
Chrissie Amphlett in her most famous position
Pulling her skirt up yikes
I'll post pics as soon as I get her home
Last sold at auction in 1992 for $2500 cool
Can't remember the artist roll

EXIT STAGE LEFT

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: screaming eagle, Skyrocket

#19 2015-10-16 23:30:27

Golightly
Silver Stacker
Website

wrcmad wrote:
Chubbsng wrote:

My real fetish is semi-modern Asian ceramics (yes, no shit again) - or more precisely one particular niche market of Asian ceramics. smile

Me too actually, Are they the Heliograuves? I got 4 of them a while back, done some swaps and other BS but still own Two, with others in the family.
I will probably be selling them in next few years though. while still free money for rich people can inflate the price more

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

The following user says thank you for this post: wrcmad

#20 2015-10-17 01:54:18

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker

cool
Artist is Marcel Cousins
Title "Nougat"

IMAG0962_zpsrsgyybyw.jpg~original

EXIT STAGE LEFT

The following 8 users say thank you for this post: Skyrocket, wrcmad, screaming eagle, mmm....shiney!, Golightly, ironwood, precious roar, kramer

#21 2015-10-17 03:08:40

Skyrocket
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

I seen her (Divinyls) play at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda in late 90s when I was in my 20s. I remember she was being dirty on stage!  big_smile

She looks Japanese in that painting.

#22 2015-10-17 05:39:58

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker

Skyrocket wrote:

I seen her (Divinyls) play at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda in late 90s when I was in my 20s. I remember she was being dirty on stage!  big_smile

Thanks for paying my wages big_smile

EXIT STAGE LEFT

#23 2015-10-17 06:14:03

SilverDJ

Naphthalene Man wrote:

Decided on Rolf Harris - now look at what he's gone and done!

Just wait. Same thing happened to Wacko Jacko. He auctioned his stuff after the whole kiddie scandal and no one wanted to touch them, not even for a pittance.
Now he's dead all is forgotten, and how much would his stuff be worth now?

#24 2015-10-17 08:32:31

JulieW
Silver Stacker

SilverDJ wrote:
Naphthalene Man wrote:

Decided on Rolf Harris - now look at what he's gone and done!

Just wait. Same thing happened to Wacko Jacko. He auctioned his stuff after the whole kiddie scandal and no one wanted to touch them, not even for a pittance.
Now he's dead all is forgotten, and how much would his stuff be worth now?

Russell Brand does a very nuanced deconstruction of fame and the consequences of criminality in his show Messiah Complex - viewable on YouTube - and he makes the point that at a certain point, fame and the money business erases all crimes, comparing Elvis and Michael Jackson in the same breath as Gary Glitter (from memory), but it could easily have been Jerry Lee Lewis or any of those pre 70s stars.

It was a very different world back then, so perhaps best to stick to pre 70s rock and roll memorabillia and art.:P

#25 2015-10-17 15:14:52

Skyrocket
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

spannermonkey wrote:
Skyrocket wrote:

Thanks for paying my wages big_smile

Did you work at the Palais Theatre?

Board footer