#26 2015-10-17 15:16:25

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker
Trades :   228 

Re: Is anyone investing in art?

Skyrocket wrote:
spannermonkey wrote:
Skyrocket wrote:

I seen her (Divinyls) play at the Palais Theatre in St Kilda in late 90s when I was in my 20s. I remember she was being dirty on stage!  big_smile

She looks Japanese in that painting.

Thanks for paying my wages big_smile

Did you work at the Palais Theatre?

Yes & most venues in Melbourne

EXIT STAGE LEFT

The following user says thank you for this post: Skyrocket

#27 2016-01-10 21:40:32

JNS
Trades :   

I bought few paintings from everywhere I travelled, but my friend who owns a gallery once told me that they are always looking for some promising artist/painter. They are buying their pieces most especially those who won in local art competition. Those paintings that they bought 10 years after really appreciate ten-fold. They also host many local competition. He had been successful now a days owning a big gallery branches in the biz high streets, he was my classmate in high school and been together in art club of the school for 4 years. He always inviting me to invest my spare money on those art pieces. smile Well, i buy only for some purpose and afraid to put more.

"If passion drives you, let reason hold the reins." Benjamin Franklin

#28 2016-01-10 23:12:30

CFP

I have dabbled in art. My biggest piece of advice is buy something you personally like to look at because if you cannot move it you could be staring at it for a while.

The following user says thank you for this post: Ipv6Ready

#29 2016-04-18 04:37:27

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
Trades :   39 

CFP wrote:

I have dabbled in art. My biggest piece of advice is buy something you personally like to look at because if you cannot move it you could be staring at it for a while.

Unless you are buying a recognised or widely known up and comer, make sure you like it as CFP says, because you could be the only person who ever paid for it.

Last edited by Ipv6Ready (2016-04-18 04:38:01)

WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

#30 2016-04-18 21:53:10

Kooka
Trades :   

To me art is a bit like the fable about the emperors new clothes.

I remember when the "great" Geoff Whitlam was prime minister in 1973 and authorized the purchase of an abstract called Blue Poles......I guess it is still hanging in Canberra. I saw it  years ago and to me it looked like something my daughter did at kindy. I think about $6 mill was wasted on that rubbish.....

The following user says thank you for this post: BuggedOut

#31 2016-04-18 22:16:11

BuggedOut
Trades :   37 

Yep, I remember seeing Blue Poles as a teenager and it left me with the impression that art was total BS.  I just couldn't get my head around it and probably still can't (though I haven't really tried recently if I'm being honest)

Value in art as an investment is so subjective it does not make sense to my logical, analytical brain.  I'm sure that people make money from investing in art but those are probably the same people who could make money selling ice to eskimos.

#32 2016-04-18 22:19:14

BuggedOut
Trades :   37 

I also think art is a perfect racket for money laundering, because it is so subjective art "purchases" at ANY inflated price can be used as cover for any kind of illegal transaction.

I wonder if old Osama had any art collections next to his gold!?  lol

#33 2016-04-19 01:39:21

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Kooka wrote:

To me art is a bit like the fable about the emperors new clothes.

I remember when the "great" Geoff Whitlam was prime minister in 1973 and authorized the purchase of an abstract called Blue Poles......I guess it is still hanging in Canberra. I saw it  years ago and to me it looked like something my daughter did at kindy. I think about $6 mill was wasted on that rubbish.....

There is a true story about an art teacher in New York who asks his first year students to write a critique on a 'Pollock' which they dutifully do, exploring the post modern concepts inherent in one's interpretation of colour and mayhem. The 'Pollock' is actually a closeup of his work apron.

When Whitlam approved the Blue Poles purchase, they paid around $1.3mill. Current valuation is from 20-100 million. But that's like saying Italy has 500 million worth of Mona Lisa hanging on the wall.

Roll on QE 5,6,7......

#34 2016-08-03 10:34:59

Earline Daugherty
Trades :   

I have a few art pieces at home, though they say it's a good investment I would like to just stare at them when I go home after a long day at work smile

#35 2016-08-03 18:44:08

Golightly
Silver Stacker
Trades :   22 
Website

wrcmad wrote:
Chubbsng wrote:

Is anyone here investing in art?

I've just started and similar to buying PMs, it becomes addictive quick and money gets spent rapidly.

I have a handful of Picasso's (yes really), but none of them are oils.
My real fetish is semi-modern Asian ceramics (yes, no shit again) - or more precisely one particular niche market of Asian ceramics. smile

Yeah I have a few Picasso's to, some of those vinyl presses of mostly naked birds... I like em but would sell in another few years perhaps.

If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever.

#36 2016-10-13 21:08:16

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker
Trades :   228 

Spending most of the day at

Bromley & co
Warehouse

330_img_20161014_111455.jpg

EXIT STAGE LEFT

The following user says thank you for this post: Sa_bogan

#37 2016-10-16 00:49:11

precious roar
Trades :   

^^ Cool.

Been buying for quite a few years now. Not a heap, no Picasso's and not sure if you could call it "investing", because we just buy what we like, but it is certainly enjoyable.

Last edited by precious roar (2016-10-16 00:49:43)

#38 2016-10-16 04:41:18

SilverDJ

wrcmad wrote:
Chubbsng wrote:

I've just started and similar to buying PMs, it becomes addictive quick and money gets spent rapidly.

Ok, how does that work?
Did  the guy just produce so much stuff that Joe Average can afford one, or even a "handful" of Picasso's?
How is that possible when others of his go for $100M?

#39 2016-10-16 05:43:46

wrcmad
Silver Stacker
Trades :   118 

SilverDJ wrote:
wrcmad wrote:
Chubbsng wrote:

Ok, how does that work?
Did  the guy just produce so much stuff that Joe Average can afford one, or even a "handful" of Picasso's?

Yes.

SilverDJ wrote:

How is that possible when others of his go for $100M?

Like I said, I don't own oils.
Only his famous oils go for $miilions.
There is a lot of other stuff available that doesn't cost as much.
My small collection is made up of watercolour paintings, pencil drawings, pen drawings, and even a crayon drawing.

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable.  wink

Manipulation..... If you want to continually subscribe to this idea then get out of precious metals. Only a fool would play a game that is completely rigged. As you still are in the game, I would say that you are not completely convinced of the manipulation ...

The following user says thank you for this post: House

#40 2016-10-16 07:13:42

SilverDJ

wrcmad wrote:

My small collection is made up of watercolour paintings, pencil drawings, pen drawings, and even a crayon drawing.

How do you know they are original?
There is no way this is original for example:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original-Wat … 1907901981
Comes with a COA and all fancy talk, yeah right, that's got to be in the "I've got a bridge to sell you" category.

#41 2016-10-17 03:04:22

wrcmad
Silver Stacker

SilverDJ wrote:
wrcmad wrote:

Comes with a COA and all fancy talk, yeah right, that's got to be in the "I've got a bridge to sell you" category.

No different to coins I suppose - once you look at the stuff enough, there are red flags to non-genuine items - you just showed how easy it is to pick the rubbish from the genuine gear.
Also, like coins, buy from reliable dealers or auction houses (not ebay roll).

Last edited by wrcmad (2016-10-17 03:04:45)

Manipulation..... If you want to continually subscribe to this idea then get out of precious metals. Only a fool would play a game that is completely rigged. As you still are in the game, I would say that you are not completely convinced of the manipulation ...

#42 2016-10-17 04:58:01

SilverDJ

wrcmad wrote:
SilverDJ wrote:

No different to coins I suppose - once you look at the stuff enough, there are red flags to non-genuine items

That might be ok to you, but what about when you go to sell it? Surely provenance is everything?, especially for something like a Picasso

I can't seen to find a single one that has anything Picasso related.
Got any links?

#43 2016-10-17 05:38:11

wrcmad
Silver Stacker

SilverDJ wrote:

That might be ok to you, but what about when you go to sell it? Surely provenance is everything?, especially for something like a Picasso

I didn't spend enough to care less about provenance. Not sure what they are worth now...? I've had them for years.
I hadn't really thought about selling... I just like having Picasso's hanging on my wall - they are great conversation pieces, and not many other have 'em. They have a sort of shits'n'giggles uniqueness about them.
I think that's the attraction to my coin fettish too.

SilverDJ wrote:

I can't seen to find a single one that has anything Picasso related.
Got any links?

Nope, I'll let you do the Google searching... it was that long ago I can't even remember the exact dealers.
I can remember I purchased one in a dealer somewhere in Spain.
Another I bought when I stumbled across a Picasso exhibition in the New York Metropolitan Art Museum, and there was a art dealer selling related stuff in the Museum reception.
I didn't search them out... just stubbled across them and bought on the spur of the moment.

Last edited by wrcmad (2016-10-17 05:38:36)

#44 2016-10-17 06:57:34

House
Moderator/ Legend
Trades :   232 

Picasso's work is in the thousands, plenty available at more 'reasonable' prices. His daughter started selling some of the 10,000 works she has laying around last year.

WBI- 41.16

"There's no point in paying a mortgage on an asset that is going to fall by 40 per cent or so in the next few years". Steve Keen, 2008.
Stacker FAQ'S. New threads welcome- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … faq-s.html

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: spannermonkey, wrcmad

#45 2017-02-18 00:47:58

gemel
Trades :   

This is an excellent post on

https://www.investitin.com/art-investments/

Board footer