Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is temporarily disabled due to a spam attack.
  • Index
  • » Bullion Baron
  • » Bullion Baron: Adam Carr Wrong on Australia's Housing Affordability

#26 2015-06-20 23:12:05

[email protected]
Trades :   

Re: Bullion Baron: Adam Carr Wrong on Australia's Housing Affordability

mmm....shiney! wrote:
Bullion Baron wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:

Who the turtle cares????? Just get over it. It's expensive, no one is forcing anyone to buy a house

The government controls basically every aspect of the market, from the cost of debt, rules for banks, allocation of land, tax policies that push and pull demand, fees and costs associated with development, what you can and can't build and where... so yes constant articles are important to sway opinions and push for policy changes.

The title's on my threads give you a pretty good idea of content... if you're bored with it, don't read smile

Not a criticism of your article as such, just that anyone would think there is only one housing market in Australia - Sydney.

Thats immaterial since whatever's wrong in Sydney is also wrong everywhere else in Australia.
The whole country's RE market is rotten to the core - controlled by the same anti-competitive govermment meddling/stranglehold which makes ALL Australian capital cities grossly overpriced by world standards.

NOT just Sydney...

Last edited by [email protected] (2015-06-20 23:13:01)

"The roots of liberalism – and its associated madness – can be clearly identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs of the liberal mind. When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."  www.wnd.com/2008/11/56494/

#27 2015-06-20 23:36:13

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Trades :   101 
Website

[email protected] wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:
Bullion Baron wrote:

The government controls basically every aspect of the market, from the cost of debt, rules for banks, allocation of land, tax policies that push and pull demand, fees and costs associated with development, what you can and can't build and where... so yes constant articles are important to sway opinions and push for policy changes.

The title's on my threads give you a pretty good idea of content... if you're bored with it, don't read smile

Not a criticism of your article as such, just that anyone would think there is only one housing market in Australia - Sydney.

Thats immaterial since whatever's wrong in Sydney is also wrong everywhere else in Australia.
The whole country's RE market is rotten to the core - controlled by the same anti-competitive govermment meddling/stranglehold which makes ALL Australian capital cities grossly overpriced by world standards.

NOT just Sydney...

I agree to some point.

But BB's post was about affordability, which seems to have only become a major issue in the MSM since property prices in Sydney have moved against the national trend and risen dramatically, and also since the MSM's focus on Chinese buyers.

What is happening in Sydney is not indicative of what is happening in other parts of this country, eg in Qld regional centres that have been hit by the beginning of the downturn in coal mining, housing prices have fallen 30%.

People (not most forum members here) are bleating about the property prices in Sydney because they want in and can't afford it, not because of the fundamental flaw in managed economies. So my position is if you want to buy a property then look elsewhere where they are affordable.

If you hate hills, cold winters, don't care if you don't have a job then you could try here: http://www.realestate.com.au/buy/in-mac … 740/list-1  tongue

Last edited by mmm....shiney! (2015-06-20 23:37:39)

3<

"Every day is ordinary, until it isn't."

#28 2015-06-20 23:37:27

Stoic Phoenix
Silver Stacker
Trades :   129 
Website

bordsilver wrote:

It means we'll have more dwarfs due to the weight of debt stunting their growth? Didn't NR call them "fiscal pygmies" or something tongue

Won't this then impact such industries that employ jockeys and carnie folk with a glut of labour available hence creating competition for positions with a reduction in wages and further making housing unattainable to more individuals?

www.searchnstay.com    ....for all your accommodation needs worldwide

#29 2015-06-20 23:47:08

bordsilver
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

Stoic Phoenix wrote:
bordsilver wrote:

It means we'll have more dwarfs due to the weight of debt stunting their growth? Didn't NR call them "fiscal pygmies" or something tongue

Won't this then impact such industries that employ jockeys and carnie folk with a glut of labour available hence creating competition for positions with a reduction in wages and further making housing unattainable to more individuals?

Downward spiral.

Anyone who lobbies a government in order to get the government to ban something is in my view an undesirable person. And I mean anyone. - Kris Sayce

#30 2015-06-21 00:41:23

[email protected]
Trades :   

mmm....shiney! wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:

NOT just Sydney...

I agree to some point.

But BB's post was about affordability, which seems to have only become a major issue in the MSM since property prices in Sydney have moved against the national trend and risen dramatically, and also since the MSM's focus on Chinese buyers.

Anybody with an IQ larger than their shoe size and who doesnt jst follow the herd have known since way before then that Aus's RE market is terminally ill and up for the largest price crash in  history!

Last edited by [email protected] (2015-06-21 00:43:12)

"The roots of liberalism – and its associated madness – can be clearly identified by understanding how children develop from infancy to adulthood and how distorted development produces the irrational beliefs of the liberal mind. When the modern liberal mind whines about imaginary victims, rages against imaginary villains and seeks above all else to run the lives of persons competent to run their own lives, the neurosis of the liberal mind becomes painfully obvious."  www.wnd.com/2008/11/56494/

#31 2015-06-21 01:08:10

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

[email protected] wrote:

Anybody with an IQ larger than their shoe size and who doesnt jst follow the herd have known since way before then that Aus's RE market is terminally ill and up for the largest price crash in  history!

And for how long have we been reading that? lol

But that's beside the point, the "affordability" issue that has reached fever pitch in the MSM is only about entitleism.

Sydneycentricism. roll

3<

#32 2015-06-21 02:44:37

[email protected]
Trades :   

Last edited by [email protected] (2015-06-21 02:49:49)

#33 2015-06-21 02:47:00

[email protected]
Trades :   

mmm....shiney! wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

And for how long have we been reading that? lol

But that's beside the point, the "affordability" issue that has reached fever pitch in the MSM is only about entitleism.

Sydneycentricism. roll

Actually i've been reading about it in the msm only.very recently.

Before that the only lne voice f reason in aus has.been Kris Sayce and his pals at the Daily Reckoning along with Steve Keen.

So actually NO - we havent been hearing it for very long at all.
Which is besides the point anyway.

Yet we have intelligent ppl like yourrself who iare still denying the obvious and trying to make out its only a 'Sydney' issue!

lol

Just cos u're living in Timbuk2 which may not have the same issues ito pricing which our capital cities most certainly have still doesnt explain yiour ignorance on this topic.

"And for how long have we been reading that?" had gotta be one of the dumbest retorts on the subject i've heard lol

Last edited by [email protected] (2015-06-21 02:51:24)

#34 2015-06-21 05:11:33

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

[email protected] wrote:

Actually i've been reading about it in the msm only.very recently.

Precisely, because as I said before, Sydney is bucking the trend and has a problem with Chinese buyers. Just like the Japs in Qld in the 80's the bogans and rdnecks can't get their heads around the fact that Asians are buying property. OMFG!!! The Yellow peril!!!

[email protected] wrote:

Before that the only lne voice f reason in aus has.been Kris Sayce and his pals at the Daily Reckoning along with Steve Keen.

So actually NO - we havent been hearing it for very long at all.

Sayce has been on about it for years. Eventually, he'll get the call right. You could always ask yippie about following Kris Sayce's property advice, poor bastard sold his house and bought silver when it was above $30.

[email protected] wrote:

Yet we have intelligent ppl like yourrself who iare still denying the obvious and trying to make out its only a 'Sydney' issue!

lol

Just cos u're living in Timbuk2 which may not have the same issues ito pricing which our capital cities most certainly have still doesnt explain yiour ignorance on this topic.

I'll try and put it in simple terms.

Kris Sayce and most of the members of this forum know that the underlying problem of housing affordability is to do with the attempts by governments to manage the economy.

The MSM, The Greens, the Opposition, all the other whingers in the world and the link Bullion Baron provided make no mention of the underlying economic problems caused by government interference in the economy. Their sole concern is that houses are expensive and young people can't afford them, so instead of suggesting that young people buy somewhere else, move out of Sydney, get a realistic grip on life, a job that pays more or that the government abolish itself and let everyone live under a free market etc etc, they want the government to interfere. roll

How dare the great Australian dream be beyond the reach Sydnesiders? - don't you know that its God's Own City. lol

There is definitely a problem, but the media and all the yuppies in Sydney think everyone is entitled to own a home.

My advice - if you want to buy a home, get a job that pays well or move somewhere where the houses are cheaper.

3<

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: bordsilver, hawkeye

#35 2015-06-21 05:50:50

[email protected]
Trades :   

I see. So your beef then is that these articles somply complain about prices but dont ever show any insight.into naming and shamng the source of gbe problem - namely all three levels of government!!

Instead, most want the barstads causing the problem to somehow fix the problem through more meddling instead of ejecting themselves totally from the entire system - which is the only way to fix the problems!

Sound about right?

The following user says thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!

#36 2015-06-21 05:53:04

[email protected]
Trades :   

Whose yippie?  lol

#37 2015-06-21 07:43:14

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

[email protected] wrote:

Whose yippie?  lol

I wonder?  cool

3<

#38 2015-06-21 07:45:48

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

[email protected] wrote:

I see. So your beef then is that these articles somply complain about prices but dont ever show any insight.into naming and shamng the source of gbe problem - namely all three levels of government!!

Instead, most want the barstads causing the problem to somehow fix the problem through more meddling instead of ejecting themselves totally from the entire system - which is the only way to fix the problems!

Sound about right?

Yes, and because it's become a problem for those living in Sydney, it is now a national problem.

3<

#39 2015-06-22 04:46:02

hawkeye
Silver Stacker
Trades :   25 

mmm....shiney! wrote:

My advice - if you want to buy a home, get a job that pays well or move somewhere where the houses are cheaper.

My advice is start thinking about why you are so desperate to buy a home.  Do you really need to own one?  Is it that important that you must own one?  I have come to the conclusion that it's not.   Granted it's mostly because of the ridiculous prices that I started to even consider this as an option, but once I had, it started to make more and more sense.  It's not for everyone obviously, people are in different life situations, but it turns out it works for me.  Not to say it won't ever happen.  Maybe it will reach some affordable point in the future and I will change my mind, but I don't care that much at this point.  I'm more worried about possible banking and financial crises.

Of course, the property industry, banking industry, government and property investors at large don't want people to think this way, that they might not need to buy.  Maybe that's a good reason to contemplate the possibility.  Maybe the obsession is actual unhealthy.  Just something being pushed by vested interests.

#40 2015-06-22 04:54:20

whinfell
Silver Stacker
Trades :   42 

mmm....shiney! wrote:

Are you sure your name isn't Joe Hockey? lol

#41 2015-06-22 06:09:03

hawkeye
Silver Stacker

hawkeye wrote:

Of course, the property industry, banking industry, government and property investors at large don't want people to think this way, that they might not need to buy.

Just think about the wealth and power represented by these groups.  Is it any wonder our media is awash with Real Estate propaganda?   People sometimes speak about Australian's obsession with property.     Mass-brainwashing, perhaps?  I don't mean in a conspiratorial way.  I just mean when a population gets blasted with clever marketing messages over and over, hour after hour, day after day, almost everywhere they go,  with essentially no counters then you shouldn't be surprised to see a near-complete obsession.  That's why I say, people need to stop and think for themselves and do a little deprogramming first.  Maybe buying is right for you anyway, but make sure it is your choice and not what you have been programmed with.

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: aleks, bordsilver

#42 2015-06-22 06:37:00

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

hawkeye wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:

My advice is start thinking about why you are so desperate to buy a home.  Do you really need to own one?  Is it that important that you must own one?  I have come to the conclusion that it's not.   Granted it's mostly because of the ridiculous prices that I started to even consider this as an option, but once I had, it started to make more and more sense.  It's not for everyone obviously, people are in different life situations, but it turns out it works for me.  Not to say it won't ever happen.  Maybe it will reach some affordable point in the future and I will change my mind, but I don't care that much at this point.  I'm more worried about possible banking and financial crises.

Of course, the property industry, banking industry, government and property investors at large don't want people to think this way, that they might not need to buy.  Maybe that's a good reason to contemplate the possibility.  Maybe the obsession is actual unhealthy.  Just something being pushed by vested interests.

That's sound advice as well hawkie. For many though it's just that we like to live in a home we can call our own. It's one of those natural extensions of their human instinct, just as say marriage is and having kids. It's about establishing "place in a space", suits some but not all. I would much rather be paying a mortgage to a bank than paying rent. In fact I hate rent, there's nothing morally reprehensible about it, I just hate dishing out money to a landlord in return for occupying his space, but I do it nonetheless.

Owning a home is important to me, I don't need to own a home but I want to. It's like a boat, a 4WD, a motorbike, a Fender Stratocaster or a Claire Bridge - we don't need any of those things, we just desire them and satisfying desires is one of our basic instincts.

Last edited by mmm....shiney! (2015-06-22 06:42:19)

3<

#43 2015-06-22 06:41:19

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

whinfell wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:

Are you sure your name isn't Joe Hockey? lol

Hang on........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................nope. wink

3<

#44 2015-06-22 07:35:40

hawkeye
Silver Stacker

mmm....shiney! wrote:

That's sound advice as well hawkie. For many though it's just that we like to live in a home we can call our own. It's one of those natural extensions of their human instinct, just as say marriage is and having kids. It's about establishing "place in a space", suits some but not all. I would much rather be paying a mortgage to a bank than paying rent. In fact I hate rent, there's nothing morally reprehensible about it, I just hate dishing out money to a landlord in return for occupying his space, but I do it nonetheless.

Owning a home is important to me, I don't need to own a home but I want to. It's like a boat, a 4WD, a motorbike, a Fender Stratocaster or a Claire Bridge - we don't need any of those things, we just desire them and satisfying desires is one of our basic instincts.

lol, I have my own ideas about marriage and whether it's a good idea or not, not just for myself but in general, which sound like they might be quite divergent from your own, but I won't derail the thread...

I have a desire to own an expensive European sports car, unfortunately that desire is highly unlikely to be realised.  I would say that the vast majority, 99% or so, have a desire for decent shelter and a place to put their things (there's always a few exceptions).  Is there a basic desire also to own said home?  Well, I guess we all prefer to own things rather than borrow whatever it might be, but no-one should ever let that desire come in the way of practical financial sense.  I think in this country there is far too much propaganda trying to override people's common sense in this regard.  Aren't there countries in Europe where you have a significant percentage of the population renting?  See, that's another thing.  I think part of the propaganda here has been towards demonising renting and I think that's where a lot of people's aversion to renting a house comes from.  Of course, there are also the bad landlords, but this brings up another interesting point about Australia.  I had a friend I used to work with who was a great guy, really good to be around and everything.  Funny thing though, he used to laugh and brag about screwing his tenants.  It was quite jarring consider his general demeanour but then I encountered the same kind of thing over and over from otherwise decent people and I wonder if part of the demonisation towards renting in this country is manifested in people not having any respect for their tenants.  Treating renters as almost sub-humans is just part of the culture, it seems and, I think, largely a result of all the propaganda.  If you don't own your home then you are not really worth much, that is what is implied.  I've encountered the same thing quite frequently in different manifestations.

• Index
  • » Bullion Baron
  • » Bullion Baron: Adam Carr Wrong on Australia's Housing Affordability

Board footer