Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will open again next Wednesday.

#26 2016-02-27 17:54:18

Skyrocket
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

Re: War on Cash continues

And we're supposed to have one of the hardest notes in world to fake?

#27 2016-02-27 18:03:56

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Trades :   122 
Website

Skyrocket wrote:

And we're supposed to have one of the hardest notes in world to fake?

Massively counterfeiting of the most advanced notes provides an excellent pretext for calls to eliminate cash or even for adding RFID tech to new circulating notes so each can be identified and tracked individually. It's such an excellent pretext that I'm surprised governments haven't already thought of a black flag op against their own currencies.

Last edited by SpacePete (2016-02-27 18:04:38)

Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Skyrocket, James

#28 2016-02-27 18:42:49

willrocks
Silver Stacker
Trades :   29 

Problem = counterfeits
Reaction = demand better currency
Solution = digital currency

"You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

The following user says thank you for this post: Skyrocket

#29 2016-02-27 19:16:38

Skyrocket
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

That could be why. They could be making us an example for rest of the world. If the country with hardest money to fake is faked then all others are not safe.  It's worrying.

They can take my paper money but never my physical silver!  yikes

#30 2016-02-27 19:30:47

kramer
Trades :   40 

Just another reason to stack 5,10,20 dollar notes..

#31 2016-02-27 20:19:56

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

kramer wrote:

Still paper. I think I'll convert all my money to $2 coins.  Also, a bag of $2 coins in your pocket feels good.

#32 2016-02-27 20:32:07

sammysilver
Silver Stacker
Trades :   189 
Website

SilverPete wrote:
kramer wrote:

Still paper. I think I'll convert all my money to $2 coins.  Also, a bag of $2 coins in your pocket feels good.

Because I dress to the left, I need 50 $2 coins in my right pocket to balance the load.

The price we pay for the good life is public servitude.

The following user says thank you for this post: SpacePete

#33 2016-02-27 23:40:27

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Well it might be time to look at this then:

http://banknotes.rba.gov.au/counterfeit … ion-guide/

1 – Is it plastic?

Australian banknotes are printed on plastic and have a distinct feel. A suspect banknote may feel excessively thick or thin compared to a genuine banknote. It is difficult to start a tear along the edge of a genuine banknote. You can also try scrunching the banknote in your hand – a genuine banknote should spring back.

2 – Look for the Coat of Arms

If you hold the banknote to the light, you should see the Australian Coat of Arms.

3 – Look for the star

Diamond-shaped patterns are printed inside a circle on both sides of the banknote. If you hold the banknote up to the light, the patterns should line up perfectly to form a seven-pointed star.

4 – Check the clear window

The clear window should be an integral part of the banknote and not an addition. Check that the white image printed on the window cannot be easily rubbed off. Also look for the embossing – there is a wave pattern in the window of the $10 banknote, and the value of the banknote in the windows of $20, $50 and $100 banknotes.

Other security features

Other security features to check if you suspect a banknote might be counterfeit:

5 – Feel the dark printing
It is produced with a special raised ink that can be felt with your finger.

6 – Check the print quality
The background printing should be sharp. Check for irregularities such as less clearly defined patterns, thicker or thinner lines, or colour differences.

7 – Look for the microprinting
Under a magnifying glass you will see tiny, clearly defined words on the top left corner of the $5 banknote and near the portraits on the other banknotes.

8 – Look at the banknote under UV light

Most of the banknote should not fluoresce. The exceptions are the serial numbers, a patch on the $5 banknote and a patch on the $20, $50 and $100 banknotes that also shows the value (e.g. 50).
Common myths about banknotes

Myth

Banknotes without the printed name below the portrait are counterfeit.

Fact

A banknote without the name of the person below the portrait is not necessarily counterfeit. Printed names were added to Australian banknotes from 2002. This was done to help the public identify the people that our banknotes feature.

To determine the year a banknote was produced, look at the first two numerals of the serial number e.g. 99 means the banknote was printed in 1999, while 03 means the banknote was printed in 2003.

Myth

The Governor's signature is always above the Secretary to the Treasury's.

Fact

The order of the signatures on Australian banknotes was changed in 2002. Since then, the Governor's signature has been printed above that of the Secretary to the Treasury.

Dealing with suspect banknotes

It is an offence to knowingly possess counterfeit banknotes. Suspect banknotes should be given to State or Federal police.

If they prove to be genuine banknotes, you will receive full value for them.

If you come across a banknote that you suspect is counterfeit:

Handle the suspect banknote as little as possible and store it in an envelope.
    Note any relevant information, such as how it came into your possession.
    Report the matter immediately to State or Federal police.

You are well within your rights to refuse to accept a banknote if you have concerns about it.

(my emphasis)

The easiest way of course is to go to your local moneychanger and ask them to test them.

(p.s. Be careful in Thailand. It is an offence to hold counterfeit money and if you go to a bank to report it and hand it in you may be arrested for holding counterfeit currency.)

Last edited by JulieW (2016-02-27 23:45:23)

#34 2016-02-27 23:43:24

JulieW
Silver Stacker

On a philosophical note, if the counterfeit money is so good it passes detection, is it really a counterfeit, considering currency's provenance?

#35 2016-02-28 00:05:05

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Trades :   102 
Website

http://banknotes.rba.gov.au/counterfeit … ion-guide/

8 – Look at the banknote under UV light

Most of the banknote should not fluoresce. The exceptions are the serial numbers, a patch on the $5 banknote and a patch on the $20, $50 and $100 banknotes that also shows the value (e.g. 50).

When you did the cut and paste you accidentally left one out Jules:

9 - Sniff it. If it stinks then it is genuine fiat.

3<

"Every day is ordinary, until it isn't."

The following user says thank you for this post: JulieW

#36 2016-02-28 00:59:48

Gilligan
Trades :   22 

Nice to be able to remove all current 50's from circulation, replace with new ones and only replace with smaller notes?

#37 2016-02-28 06:46:26

projack
Silver Stacker
Trades :   143 

SilverPete wrote:

Massively counterfeiting of the most advanced notes provides an excellent pretext for calls to eliminate cash....

Counterfeiting your bank cards is far more rewarding.
What you do then? Eliminate bank cars?

The US dollars and Treasury debt called "risk off" because the global fiat system can only survive as long as that remains the case.

#38 2016-02-28 06:52:47

HoldMeTender
Silver Stacker
Trades :   12 

sammysilver wrote:

Because I dress to the left, I need 50 $2 coins in my right pocket to balance the load.

Can't have you toppling over can we?

All that glitters is not gold...
...but all that is gold glitters!

Windbag in Spandex

#39 2016-02-28 07:17:34

HoldMeTender
Silver Stacker
Trades :   12 

JulieW wrote:

On a philosophical note, if the counterfeit money is so good it passes detection, is it really a counterfeit, considering currency's provenance?

That way  s e d i t i o n  lies...

All that glitters is not gold...
...but all that is gold glitters!

Windbag in Spandex

#40 2016-02-28 09:00:44

systematic
Trades :   

Maybe the RBA instead should think twice before doing dirty deals with Nigeria ....

http://www.smh.com.au/national/slush-fu … 18110.html

http://www.smh.com.au/national/investig … -hbfl.html

if everyone is thinking the same, we aren't thinking very much ...

The following user says thank you for this post: James

#41 2016-02-28 09:30:54

smk762
Silver Stacker
Trades :   15 

systematic wrote:

Maybe the RBA instead should think twice before doing dirty deals with Nigeria ....

http://www.smh.com.au/national/slush-fu … 18110.html

http://www.smh.com.au/national/investig … -hbfl.html

nigeria-spam-seemikedraw-comics-1063024.jpeg

Note: No view / opinion I express is to be construed in any way as representative of entities which I may be associated with, including but not limited to employers, clubs, or charitable organisations. All commentary is made as a private citizen, regardless of the method of creative expression, and in accordance with personal integrity and my perception of the public interest. This disclaimer is to be applied perpetually and retroactively.Hi ASIO roll

#42 2016-02-28 09:45:56

systematic
Trades :   

Nigeria isnt the problem ...

#43 2016-02-29 08:06:18

systematic
Trades :   

LONDON'S rich kids have set up their own Instagram and Facebook accounts where they refer to their 50,000 followers — who are mostly amused "normal" people — as peasants.

331_kids_dough.jpg
http://www.news.com.au/technology/onlin … 34397d3f31

Many adults accept a corrupt system ... these rich brats lord over their kids today ... but will those kids thank their parents for posting inane comments online and be told get a job that's the way it is ... instead of championing their futures and selling out on them as slaves to a cashless system tomorrow ...

Last edited by systematic (2016-02-29 09:29:48)

#44 2016-03-01 07:51:15

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

Cash Is The Currency Of Freedom
As Fed inflates away dollar's value, government gains more control to manipulate taxpayers and savers
Governments want to get rid of cash for two reasons. First, it gives them more control over citizens: They justify it in the name of fighting terrorists and organized crime, but what they really care about is making sure that nobody escapes their scrutiny, for purposes of taxes, regulation and political finagling. Second, if you're stuck putting your money in a bank, they can force you to spend it (and thus "stimulate" the economy) by subjecting you to negative interest rates, in which money that just sits in the bank shrinks away, providing an incentive to spend.

Cash has a lot of virtues. One of them is that it allows people to engage in voluntary transactions without the knowledge or permission of anyone else. Governments call this suspicious, but the rest of us call it something else: Freedom.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-02-2 … cy-freedom

The following user says thank you for this post: bordsilver

#45 2016-03-01 08:05:27

Bullion Baron
Silver Stacker
Trades :   139 
Website

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: smk762, jnkmbx, FortySeven

#46 2016-03-04 02:50:36

DanielM
Silver Stacker
Trades :   31 

Ha! Just had the best laugh. Listening to the radio and they were talking about cashless society and one person said we should get rid of cash so that the windscreen washing junkies don't bother us for change.

Then another retard said we should get rid of cash so hyperinflation doesn't happen. Wtf does he think will happen to his digital dollars? And the radio presenter was agreeing will all the crap. So naturally I've lost all respect for this show

Don't be shy....Stack it high!!

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, Skyrocket

#47 2016-03-04 03:07:58

alor
Silver Stacker
Trades :   39 

for EU and US, in particular US, where the cash overseas is too muck compared to within USA.

with such a restrictions, actually there will become more cash available in USA, since the importation of cash will be humongous smile

this is more like a domestic control issue to control its people.

man vs state

Hear Say See -> N o t h i n g
May this stacking hobby be my blessing smile

#48 2016-03-04 04:31:17

JulieW
Silver Stacker

If you're interested, Phillip Adams interviewed Satyajit Das about negative interest rates and the move to abolish cash on Late Night Live last night on Radio National.

The podcast can be grabbed from the abc.net.au website - RN - Late Night Live I'd imagine.

Das had some very astute comments and explanations of the consequences of both. Worth a listen.

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Aurora et luna, raven

#49 2016-03-05 05:14:48

projack
Silver Stacker
Trades :   143 

There is simply a need between two private individual to conduct cash transaction.

For example I used to buy bottled mineral water for my 80 years old neighbour lady on my shopping trips because it was to heavy for her to carry home. Blocking this kind of transaction is simply inhumane

The US dollars and Treasury debt called "risk off" because the global fiat system can only survive as long as that remains the case.

The following user says thank you for this post: bordsilver

#50 2016-03-06 20:17:22

JulieW
Silver Stacker

and continues:

Toby has noticed a charge of $3.20 on his Telstra bill, just because he pays in cash, and he would like to know if this is allowed?

Q. Toby

I am a pensioner and I recently paid my Telstra account by cash at an Australia Post outlet. On my next account there was an additional fee of $3.20 with a notation 'Fee for your last Non-Electronic Payment'. Can it really do this? I thought cash was legal tender and should be accepted for any payment of any account. What would happen if one didn't have a computer to pay electronically? Extending this theory it could become ludicrous if every shop and gas station, etc., charged extra for paying by cash.

A. Telstra can and do, as you are aware, charge for non-electronic payments. In fact, the charge has just increased from $2 to $3.20.

If you are registered for Telstra's Pensioner Discount, Disability Equipment Program or hold an Australian Government Health Care Card, then you should not be charged this fee.

If you do not have an email address or access to a computer, you can arrange to pay your bill by direct debit to avoid the fee.

https://www.yourlifechoices.com.au/fina … aying-cash

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/cate … ll-options

Last edited by JulieW (2016-03-06 20:20:28)

The following user says thank you for this post: SpacePete

Board footer