Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is temporarily disabled due to a spam attack.

#1 2015-04-09 04:05:08

Bank Manager
Silver Stacker
Trades :   61 

Buying a detector, what should I start with?

Hi stackers,

I have been toying with the idea of buying a detector to have some fun with on the weekends. Looking for nuggets, coins on beaches etc

Have never really done detecting before, any suggestions on what setup I need are most welcome.

Cheers BM

The following user says thank you for this post: deck-star

#2 2015-04-09 10:16:23

Sa_bogan
Silver Stacker
Trades :   88 
Website

Re: Buying a detector, what should I start with?

hey mate,
normally i would ask the question of what type of detecting will you be doing, as saying you want to find gold nuggets, coin and stuff on the beach pretty much impossible to do with only one detector.
for example if you are looking to find gold nuggets in the bush i would recommend a Pulse Induction detector as the technology is suited to the soil being very mineralised
For beach detecting you could use a pulse induction machine no worries but it doesn't have the ability to discriminate out "crap targets" such as iron etc - in this instance i would recommend something like the minelab sovereign or BBS/FBS tech detectors as they will handle the normal grounds for coins and the beaches as well- i use the CTX 3030 and IMO its the shiz on the beach
However i wouldn't use that type of detector looking for gold as it doesn't have the depth a PI would
My advise would be to join a detecting forum - also if you are not sure weather its something you will continue to do i would by medium priced detector as if you cheapen out you will be disappointed and turned off the hobby

I hope this helps you some what

The following 5 users say thank you for this post: Eureka Moments, Bank Manager, SilverTounge15, deck-star, grajosen

#3 2015-04-10 08:04:38

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker
Trades :   62 

Great post SA. I own a pulse induction that is great for finding nuggets in mineralised ground but completely useless for parks or beaches due to having poor discrimination.

I got my first coin and relic machine last year. After a lot of reading and research I bought a Minelab 3030. A novice can use one straight out of the box and find coins and relics...presets are easy to use which means you can start finding things fairly quickly and then learn as you go around about the target readouts and noises it makes and what they are telling you. Ive only done parks and sporting grounds so far but I know it will work on beaches when I decide to visit.

3030 has a gps which I dont use, this helps bump its price to $2500. Not cheap but it does what it says on the box.

Disclosure:  Even Barnabas Gan has changed his tune!. Last years legend called gold to be $950/oz by this years end on Jan 28 2016 but now expects $1400. 

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Bank Manager, deck-star

#4 2015-04-11 05:49:38

Bank Manager
Silver Stacker
Trades :   61 

Awesome, thanks bogan and eureka,
I figured I would have to buy a couple of different detectors, as the research I've done to date indicated as much, might start with the 3030 and give it a run on the beach before going bush.
What price point am I looking at? as I don't want to buy a shitter first up.
2k ish?

Cheers BM

#5 2015-05-12 19:42:14

SilverTounge15
Silver Stacker
Trades :   18 

Watch some youtube reveiws and buy a mid range one i would suggest that way if you dont do much with it your not losing 1500-2000 when trying to resell

WTT - Silver or gold for physical USD

#6 2015-05-12 21:24:55

sterling-nz
Trades :   

Garret ace250:)
That was my first toy and i still have and use it sometimes.
Great entry level machine for parks and beaches.
It works fine in water but i suspect ot would be pretty crap for your nugget hunts.(may be)
Another benefit is you are not throwing a lot of money at this new hobby.
I got hooked straight away because my first find was a UK silver Florin.
This machine will do plenty for you and you will soon know if this is the hobby for you without the huge cash outlay.

Last edited by sterling-nz (2015-05-12 21:29:23)

#7 2015-05-17 11:11:01

Ghost Story
Trades :   44 

one of my best detectors cost 220 bucks you don't need to spend a lot of money what you need to spend is a lot of time learning what where how and why.

#8 2015-06-30 20:40:43

argyle
Trades :   

Bank Manager wrote:

Hi stackers,

I have been toying with the idea of buying a detector to have some fun with on the weekends. Looking for nuggets, coins on beaches etc

Have never really done detecting before, any suggestions on what setup I need are most welcome.

Cheers BM

How did you go deciding on a detector BM?

As you want hit the goldfields,  parks,  and beaches, the Minelab 705 is easily the best unit on the market today. Multipurpose!

I've owned every Minelab ever made barr two, (and most models from all brands in the last 30 years)and the XTerra range is easily the best pound for pound. The only place a Full Band Spectrum unit, ETrac/CTX unit will beat an XTerra for discrimination or depth, is on wet beach sand.

$850 retail, $680 when on sale at Anaconda every couple of months.

The following user says thank you for this post: deck-star

#9 2016-07-29 02:23:24

Sa_bogan
Silver Stacker
Trades :   88 
Website

BulkCoins15 wrote:

Ok, my 'time' is drawing near. Selling up my gold / silver stack, getting ready to go bush ...

So, if I want to detect 'gold in the bush' ...

What are the recommendations ?

I could spend a few grand, but is there any real benefit to spending MORE than say $3,000. ??

I could go on and on about price and quality, and multi-functions etc. but the PURPOSE of the purchase, is for gold in the bush ....

Any comments from experienced detector users / owners would be appreciated.

I would recommend to you that you speak to the detecting shops around the area you plan on "going bush"
I'm brand specific and use minlab and so does my father, main reason for me is there HQ is here in Adelaide If I need something fixed under warranty and even out of warranty- they are also made for Australian conditions like our soil.  When I comes to price as you said the more money you can spend the better the machine, however if your main area of use is in the bush then forget one that is an all rounder as you will sacrifice power for the ability to excel in 1 area (such as nugget hunting)

I would lean towards sdc 2300 - gpx series above the 3000 model. I would recommend checking out some prospecting forums and see what they are using and what they have found. I hope this helps

#10 2016-07-29 02:35:44

brexitbaby
Banned
Trades :   

Source:

BulkCoins15 wrote:

Ok, my 'time' is drawing near. Selling up my gold / silver stack, getting ready to go bush ...

So, if I want to detect 'gold in the bush' ...

What are the recommendations ?

I could spend a few grand, but is there any real benefit to spending MORE than say $3,000. ??

I could go on and on about price and quality, and multi-functions etc. but the PURPOSE of the purchase, is for gold in the bush ....

Any comments from experienced detector users / owners would be appreciated.

Most of us have dreamed about "finding free gold" but for most people that is all that it will become a dream,spending a lot of money finding nails and bullets.

But you will get plenty of exercise digging lots of holes especially until you can get some minimum experience with your machine on the ground.

You could consider joining another forum like - Prospecting Australia - pretty good advice,suggestions and stuff to read.

But as they say - research - research - and more research.

Good luck  smile

P.S. I have been fossicking not gold detecting for over 2 years now going 3-4 times per week at the beach and in the local parks,I am a coin shooter & jewellery hunter.I have two machine plus all of the other gear that you need which I own paying for it from my finds.

Fossicking is great exercise at the beach or in the park with great company  big_smile

Last edited by brexitbaby (2016-07-29 04:17:31)

FEAR - is the Domain of the Weak and Ignorant.

#11 2016-08-10 19:20:31

brexitbaby
Banned
Trades :   

BulkCoins15 wrote:

Joined PA. ( called myself 'Tracker' )

Just bought a Minelab GPX 5000 ( with bonus additions ).

Also got my 'campervan ' on the weekend, so it's about a month before I'm off to them thar hills ....

About to start living the dream - well done and good luck  smile

Remember that I helped you when you fall over that big nugget  tongue

FEAR - is the Domain of the Weak and Ignorant.

#12 2016-08-10 21:25:22

Kinginthecountinghouse
Trades :   15 

Bulk coins 15 best of luck
Just remember low and slow
And dig every target!  A large nugget sounds like a rubbish target.
King

The following user says thank you for this post: Nugget_Hunter

Board footer