Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

• Index
  • » Silver
  • » Russia invading Ukraine --- Silver/Gold Implications?

#51 2014-03-03 17:43:38

leo25
Member+
Trades :   

Re: Russia invading Ukraine --- Silver/Gold Implications?

Goldrush wrote:

Wars are expansive and extremely destructive, China has witnessed this first hand on a number of occasions and I would hope they don't go down this path after all as I have previously stated war is just an extension of economic warfare which China is currently doing well at.

I guess China has caused enough environmental destruction on their own land, I don't thing they can handle much more.... But seriously i don't think China gives a crap about being destructive, just like any other super power.

#52 2014-03-03 18:47:26

Cheepo
Member+
Trades :   

Goldrush wrote:

I agree that China is backing itself, but I don't really see China trying to emulate the other previous super powers in trying to acquire direct control over nation states.   In my opinion china is doing the smart thing and investing in natural resources throughout the world and position itself to be an economic power.  Wars are expansive and extremely destructive, China has witnessed this first hand on a number of occasions and I would hope they don't go down this path after all as I have previously stated war is just an extension of economic warfare which China is currently doing well at.

You are contradicting yourself. "china is doing the smart thing and investing in natural resources throughout the world", "war is just an extension of economic warfare", it follows that China will become as aggressive and blood thirsty as the US.

China is buying up all the natural resources it can buy (it has enough US$ reserves to do that...). Once it has all the natural resources, it will need a strong army to "defend" them from theft. And then it will figure out that 1) it's easier to steal than to buy, and 2) it won't have enough money to buy natural resources, because it all went in weapons. So 3) it will go around stealing all the natural resources it wants. This is the history of the British empire and US imperialism. China will do the same.

And I don't think that the USSR was much better than the US. Not worse probably, but not better either. sad

#53 2014-03-03 20:19:47

worldbubble
Member++
Trades :   13 
Website

Foreign Ministry spokesman Qin Gang said "There have been reasons for today's situation in Ukraine," said the spokesman, without detailing the reasons."

that's the position of China

My coins for sale: silvernumiz.com
on eBay: goo.gl/Q2Ghaj

#54 2014-03-03 20:50:42

swoydaz
Silver Stacker
Trades :   283 
Website

Original question was?

My answer is ...

I don't know what effect this or any other actual war or potential war will have on spot.

I'd prefer not to profit from the death of innocent people.

That's all I'd like to say.

Last edited by swoydaz (2014-03-03 21:21:07)

What is human?

#55 2014-03-03 21:18:00

Cheepo
Member+
Trades :   

Byron wrote:

Hey if the Albanians can carve Kosovo away from Serbia so should the Russians take crimea, a land they have more than a valid claim too.

I congratulate v Putin for taking back what always belonged to Russia.

Exactly. A territory should belong to the people who live on it, and the people who live in Crimea feel Russians and want to be part of Russia, so I salute Putin for doing the same thing.

I'd prefer not to profit from the deaths of innocent people.

And who died in Crimea? As long as Kievians (or what are the people who live in Kiev called??) stay out of it, everybody is safe.

#56 2014-03-03 21:19:35

tolly_67
Member+
Trades :   

The location of Ukraine is such that there isn't really a lot that can be done which does not involve terrible consequences..
The effect on gold will be at best temporary....it will not change the overall trend.
If gold is destined to fall further then so it will be....using the example of the u.s. and its ongoing wars and you will see that the influence of war is temporary.
It is the breakdown in Europe we need to focus on....it is the u.s. dollar we need to watch....it will begin its big move forward soon enough and gold will follow with it or soon after....
The movement in gold will be a function of a breakdown in governments.........not inflation....not war...not manipulation...not chinese buying...

The following user says thank you for this post: mmissinglink

#57 2014-03-03 22:31:03

rbaggio
Silver Stacker

President Obama has threatened to withdraw from G8 talks and move to revoke Russia's access to the prestigious economic club.

Russian official to Obama: "There is a saying in Russia: You can't scare a hedgehog with a naked ass."

The following 5 users say thank you for this post: boston, wrcmad, Argentum, lucky luke, motorbikez

#58 2014-03-03 23:21:44

lucky luke
Member++
Trades :   17 

mmissinglink wrote:

.........US could wipe Russia off face of the earth in like 1.2 seconds if U.S. wanted to...Russia is no military threat to U.S...............

The reverse could easily be stated similarly as fact.

In the world of perception management "Beliefs are stronger than facts".

#59 2014-03-03 23:48:29

dccpa
Member++
Trades :   

mmissinglink wrote:
dccpa wrote:
mmissinglink wrote:

Might be a bump in prices over the next couple of weeks but not much more. Putin will not escalate beyond chest beating for he knows if he does, US will impose economic sanctions. US could wipe Russia off face of the earth in like 1.2 seconds if U.S. wanted to...Russia is no military threat to U.S.

I'm not saying I like this fact and I certainly am against any wars....just stating the facts as I see them.

Why would Putin escalate, he has already won? Putin just bitchslapped Obama and exposed him as a weak leader. The UN is toothless against any major power and Europe, can't win either way. Support Ukraine and Russia cuts off their gas. Support Russia and Ukraine cuts off their gas. Ask Georgia about the might and support of the US & Europe when facing Russia in Russia's own back yard.

Economic sanctions would only work if China agrees and I am betting that they won't. They will extract Russian support for their territorial issue with Japan. Russia and Ukraine will likely sign some long term agreement for Russia to use Sevastapol and Russia will leave some troops on Ukrainian soil. Putin to Europe and Obama, suck it dudes.

The Russia - Georgia war was anything but a victory for Russia. Not even high ranking Russian military leaders like Colonel Ivan Petrik, the peacekeeper's Chief of Staff were safe from Georgian attacks. The US's role in aiding Georgia was political - the US didn't even have to get involved militarily because Russia wasn't seen as a real threat to Georgia.

Putin won't escalate more than the U.S. allows him to. Obama was not bitchslapped....it was the other way around. Obama bitchslapped Putin by warning Putin when Obama had no horse in this race at all....and still he warned Putin. That's a bitchslap. Putin will NOT militarily force the new Ukrainian gov't out of power....I am telling you this fact that I'm convinced of. Anything else that Putin does other than overthrow the cureent Ukraine gov't shows just how weak and feckless Putin is and shows the seriousness of Obama's bitchslapping Putin.

ML, your version of reality does not match the facts. Obama is toothless, especially on Russia's home turf. The US has a horse in this race because we helped create the revolt and then, as in Georgia, abandoned the natives when they needed our support. If the US didn't see Russia as a threat to Georgia, then our military intelligence were idiots. Everyone knows Putin wants to put the old Soviet Union back together.

If you think Russia taking Ukrainian soil is Putin being bitchslapped by Obama, I have some ecologically sensitive property in the Everglades I would like to interest you in.

Again, Putin doesn't need to escalate anything, he already has what he wants. And the US & Europe will only shake their fingers at Russia and say naughty, naughty. Putin knows the West will not risk war and Russia is now allying with the Saudi Arabia that Obama has alienated. So, a large portion on the world's energy supplies will be on Russia's side. Obama is an intellectual, elitist and has no concept of reality and Putin is slaughtering Obama on the world chess board. I consider that Obama being bitchslapped and I expect the rest of the world does too.

America is the greatest nation in the world and fracking is giving us a second chance to undo the economic damage of the last several administrations. We shall see if the US government will get out of the way long enough for the citizens to revitalize America.

#60 2014-03-04 00:05:25

lucky luke
Member++
Trades :   17 

Goldrush wrote:
ozcopper wrote:
Goldrush wrote:

Russia is basically a mafia run state now and there is very little protection from the law.  If you make enemies of the wrong people you will either end up dead or broken and imprisoned with little chance of escape.

Exactly like the USSA, Drones, detainment without legal representation, suspension of habeas corpus, Executive orders,  they invade and its just, some one else invades and its an act of war... blah blah blah...

..............  The problem is that we are facing an Ideological enemy who isn't constrained by the rules of war or morals for that matter either.  They are brain washed from the young age and believe ....................

What nation or people were you talking about again???

In the world of perception management "Beliefs are stronger than facts".

#61 2014-03-04 03:39:11

Goldrush
Member+
Trades :   

lucky luke wrote:
Goldrush wrote:
ozcopper wrote:

Exactly like the USSA, Drones, detainment without legal representation, suspension of habeas corpus, Executive orders,  they invade and its just, some one else invades and its an act of war... blah blah blah...

..............  The problem is that we are facing an Ideological enemy who isn't constrained by the rules of war or morals for that matter either.  They are brain washed from the young age and believe ....................

What nation or people were you talking about again???

In the first instance I'm talking about Russia being a Mafia state ruled essentially by a Don.

The enemy which we are fighting though is not Russia it is fundamental Islam.

Never argue with an idiot.  They will just drag you down and beat you with experience.

#62 2014-03-04 03:56:24

tolly_67
Member+
Trades :   

off on a tangent now................another topic degenerating into complete garbage.

#63 2014-03-04 04:04:44

Pirocco
Member++
Trades :   
Website

What happens now is doomstalk to make people willing to swap their fiat for gold/silver and receive less due to a price that was driven up by others earlier.
Then, in the highday of the doomstalk, those others will swap the pm back to the fiat.
Then, the doomstalk about Russia/Ukraine will stop.
Instead, it will be about gold/silver, while they're holding ready the fiat to buy back in lower.
In a nutshell! big_smile

Silver won't save you if you act as clueless and careless as with your bank account.
Get in- not disinformed. Last is easiest, visit www.zerohedge.com & Co and hurry to their bullion shops.
Futures: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … ilver.html #9
Central Banks inflict you less gold and fiat: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … tners.html #19

#64 2014-03-04 04:10:32

mmissinglink
Member++
Trades :   
Website

The reason why Obama bitch-slapped Putin and NOT the other way around is because the US has no horse in this race. The US has NO mutual defense treaty with Ukraine. The US is being a bully in my view. For Obama to make threats upon Russia when the US has no horse in this race is a bitch-slap of Putin.

And yes, contrary to the claims by some forum members here, Russia would basically have to overthrow the current Ukraine gov't in order to take full control of Ukraine because the West wouldn't allow Russia to annex Cremia. Russia would basically need to start a war with Ukraine to try to annex Cremia and Russia is not going to risk that. The fact that they have some military vehicles in Cremia is not at all the same as annexing Cremia though military force. The US and the West will not tolerate Russia attempying to militarily rip Cremia away from Ukraine.

This does not at all mean that I feel the US has a right to impose economic sanctions upon Russia. The US has itself engaged in much greater acts of unjustified military attacks upon other nations with no economic sanctions upon it....there's few things worse than double standards.

Last edited by mmissinglink (2014-03-04 04:16:17)

In some ways, we are not that different

#65 2014-03-04 04:21:59

Photonaware
Member++
Trades :   

Markets seem to get spooked by all sorts of events and this is potentially a "big event".
Who knows if PMs will rise or fall but there will be many traders licking their lips at the thought of volatility which makes them huge bonuses whether markets, commodities etc go up or down. Heads I win and tails you loose !!

>>>>  .. The Universe is mostly Dark Energy .. <<<<<

The following user says thank you for this post: mmissinglink

#66 2014-03-04 04:34:16

tolly_67
Member+
Trades :   

Yes...and it becomes a conflict within ones self..........having skin in the game means that a short end to this tragedy unfolding would minimise potential profits............but hoping for a quick end nonetheless for the poor people involved.

#67 2014-03-04 04:56:17

XB
Silver Stacker
Trades :   66 

silvermed wrote:

Could we see this push a potential "war conflict" premium into the metals like silver?

To actually answer the OP, slight increase in prices, which will then dip again or remain level - basically very little change and no, or very little, "war premium" in silver or gold.

My view of the situation: Russia will continue posturing around the borders and increasing presence in it's leased bases in Sebastopol and the Crimea; Ukraine will continue posturing around its "claim" to the Crimea;  Crimea will continue with it's own call for independence from Ukraine, the foreshadowed referendum will be held and overwhelmingly support "independence", and the newly independent Crimea will align with Russia.  There will be minor conflict (aka India/Pakistan style) for a while between the officially unofficial paramilitary groups supporting Kiev and Moscow but no major conflict between Ukraine and Russia.  By the end of this year it will be settled.  It will flare again in around 5 years when new politicians decide it's time to show what "strong" leaders they are.

mmissinglink wrote:

the most powerful imperialist nation on the planet

Which I believe is now China ..... IMO the reign of the USA has ended, it just hasn't realised it yet.

Last edited by XB (2014-03-04 05:22:29)

Every day, give a gift to everyone you meet.

Not a formal, wrapped-up present - make it something personal, something that means something, something genuine. Your gift can be your smile, a word of thanks or encouragement, a gesture of politeness, even a friendly nod.

The following user says thank you for this post: lucky luke

#68 2014-03-04 05:53:12

Pirocco
Member++
Trades :   
Website

I think the price will wobble a week sideways to then be dumped down a dollar, then again a week sideways to then be dumped down a second dollar, and then we're back were we came from, with some regretting their decisions based on this story, and some happy with those decisions, yay we sold at the top to those suckers! Rinse and repeat! big_smile

Silver won't save you if you act as clueless and careless as with your bank account.
Get in- not disinformed. Last is easiest, visit www.zerohedge.com & Co and hurry to their bullion shops.
Central Banks inflict you less gold and fiat: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … tners.html #19

#69 2014-03-04 06:18:27

dccpa
Member++
Trades :   

mmissinglink wrote:

The reason why Obama bitch-slapped Putin and NOT the other way around is because the US has no horse in this race. The US has NO mutual defense treaty with Ukraine. The US is being a bully in my view. For Obama to make threats upon Russia when the US has no horse in this race is a bitch-slap of Putin.

And yes, contrary to the claims by some forum members here, Russia would basically have to overthrow the current Ukraine gov't in order to take full control of Ukraine because the West wouldn't allow Russia to annex Cremia. Russia would basically need to start a war with Ukraine to try to annex Cremia and Russia is not going to risk that. The fact that they have some military vehicles in Cremia is not at all the same as annexing Cremia though military force. The US and the West will not tolerate Russia attempying to militarily rip Cremia away from Ukraine.

This does not at all mean that I feel the US has a right to impose economic sanctions upon Russia. The US has itself engaged in much greater acts of unjustified military attacks upon other nations with no economic sanctions upon it....there's few things worse than double standards.

ML, I don't know why this is hard for you to understand, but Putin has Sevastopol and that is what he wants. You write that he is trying to take over the Ukraine and he doesn't have to and has not indicated a desire to do so. The US absolutely will allow Putin to take Crimea if he wants the whole area. If Putin wants the Crimea, a vote will be held and Crimea will either vote to be independent and allied with Russia or become part of Russia. But Putin does not need the Ukraine or the entire Crimea.

ML are you saying that the US lied to Ukraine?

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-11-17/ … lear-power

""We're prepared to offer security assurances to Ukraine once it has acceded to the treaty," Shelly said." What happened to those security assurances?

And the US does have a horse in the race, but its leg is broken. We urged the Ukrainians to revolt and are abondoning them as we did the Georgians. Putin bitchslapped Europe, Obama and the rest of Eastern Europe and took Sevastopol in one master stroke. The other Eastern European countries are learning that Nato/Europe will not help them and they will gravitate back towards Russia.

Remember what I said about China backing Russia? Didn't take long at all.

http://defence.pk/threads/russia-and-ch … ne.302831/

For $24 of beads, we got the Ukrainians to effectively disarm themselves and now they are coming to understand that they are defenseless against Russia. Europe and the US can huff and puff, but they cannot blow Putin's house down. Sevastopol is now in Russian hands and will effectively stay that way.

ML your view of this situation is an extreme minority. Putin is an excellent chess player and he has checkmated the US. Obama only cares about himself and his ego. He will not take any real risks for Ukraine and China has effectively checkmated any upcoming sanctions. If Europe wants to get tough, they will need those thoughts to keep them warm when their energy is cut off.

Where Putin takes all of Crimea or is satisfied with Sevastopol, I don't know or care. But he has won and I am done with this discussion.

The following user says thank you for this post: lucky luke

#70 2014-03-04 06:24:51

sammysilver
Silver Stacker
Trades :   109 
Website

Stock markets all around the world are down today whilst gold is up over US$1,350. There was a gold breakout from December and this situation has sustained and now appears to be accelerating the rise in the price of gold.

This could be the Black Swan moment leading to the SHTF. For a couple of years now we have been talking of the BRIC countries going up against the Dollar and the Euro, it will be interesting to see China's take on this.

Further, if nothing militarily comes of this and it is settled politically, could the final outcome be that the fundamentals we often espouse about PMs, kick in and lead to new maintainable highs?

My stack has my back!

#71 2014-03-04 07:02:22

Pirocco
Member++
Trades :   
Website

Every ounce silver bought as storage of value is bound to be sold in a future, inverting the price change it cause before.
Now look at the stocks silver accumulated during the last 5 years.
Eek?

#72 2014-03-04 09:53:20

Peter
Member++

I think it's possible that the russians will just hold
their position until the elections, and the people
will vote in another pro russian government.
Then the russians will withdraw.
That's the implied offer, no?

Last edited by Peter (2014-03-04 10:02:53)

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

#73 2014-03-04 10:34:54

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker
Trades :   212 

Peter wrote:

I think it's possible that the russians will just hold
their position until the elections, and the people
will vote in another pro russian government.
Then the russians will withdraw.
That's the implied offer, no?

roll
What makes you think the Ukraine's will vote for a Russian backed government ?
If the elections are free and honest without Putin sticking his nose in it , I don't believe a Russian backed stooge will get in
It's only the Crimea that he wants to come back to Russia
IF the Ruski's would have gone into other parts of the Ukraine ,well that would be a totally different ball game wink

I don't have an attitude problem.
You have a problem with my attitude, and that's not my problem.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

#74 2014-03-04 10:43:15

Peter
Member++

thats the implied offer!
the other ballgame.

Vote for a pro russian government and we'll withdraw.
Don't and be invaded.

Last edited by Peter (2014-03-04 17:04:16)

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

• Index
  • » Silver
  • » Russia invading Ukraine --- Silver/Gold Implications?

Board footer