Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will reopen on Monday.

#1 2014-01-05 22:21:00

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Fukishima Developments

Worrying patches through SE Asia, Vietnam and Malaysia and looks like Thailand could soon be having problems (more so than current overfishing).

FukushimaPlume-tiff-e1388798404766.jpg?zoom=1.5&w=584
Source: Man's Idiocy

Last edited by JulieW (2014-01-05 22:21:50)

#2 2014-01-05 22:24:02

The Road Home
Trades :   

Re: Fukishima Developments

http://deutsche-wirtschafts-nachrichten … tabletten/

Last edited by The Road Home (2014-01-05 22:25:03)

#3 2014-01-05 22:26:40

Shaddam IV
Silver Stacker

JulieW wrote:

Worrying patches through SE Asia, Vietnam and Malaysia and looks like Thailand could soon be having problems (more so than current overfishing).

http://i0.wp.com/deutsche-wirtschafts-n … =1.5&w=584
Source: Man's Idiocy

What is the picture actually showing?

#4 2014-01-05 22:38:44

CriticalSilver
No longer active

The spread of marine plastics actually.

http://adrift.org.au/map?lat=38.8&lng=142&center=131.9

But with application to the flow of radioactive particles apparently.

From the FAQ at that site:

Q: How does the pathway of marine plastics shown on this site relate to the plume of the radioactive material from the Fukushima disaster?

A: The drifting buoys used as input for this website track the currents in the upper ocean. This site can therefore be used to study the pathways of the debris from the Fukushima tsunami itself. The plume of radioactive material, however, will not only stay at the surface. As we showed in a scientific study (see also here), much of the material will actually move to greater depths. Nevertheless, the fastest pathways of radioactive material will be near the surface, where current speeds are greatest, and so the animation of the Fukushima fallout shows the route of that part of the radioactive material that reaches the US coast first.

http://adrift.org.au/map?lat=38.8&lng=1 … =131.9#faq

Last edited by CriticalSilver (2014-01-05 22:43:45)

#5 2014-01-05 23:08:56

Load of Bullion
Trades :   

For further clarity. Here are some screen shots from the Adrift.org.au website
14_plastics1.png

14_plastics_.png
This image shows the theoretical spread of marine plastics from Japan after 10 years from the time of the tsunami.
The tsunami occurred March 11, 2011. This image projects a theoretical distribution for March of  2021.
Various intermediary images are shown on the website via a progressive video display.

Source: http://adrift.org.au/map?lat=38.8&lng=1 … 133.3#what

Last edited by Load of Bullion (2014-01-05 23:11:33)

Reminder to self: Buy Ag <$20 & Au <$1100 only

#6 2014-01-06 01:50:51

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Here is a link to on the ground reports that are not MSM

http://fukushima-diary.com/category/dnews/

e.g.
The "steam" has been observed at least since this July. Since then, it has been observed almost everyday. From the frequency of the "steam", I assume it is the evaporated coolant water leaking out of primary containment vessel (I don't think it's evaporated rainwater retained on the top of PCV because it was observed even if it doesn't rain for a long time.). We got to see it because Tepco removed the major debris from the top of reactor3. Probably it has been coming up since just after 311. Sure it's extremely radioactive. Nobody can stand on the top of reactor3, and it's harmful for west coast. However, it's been so for these 3 years.

#7 2014-01-06 02:49:51

bordsilver
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

House wrote:

Tepco admitted that an estimated 20 to 40 trillion becquerels* of tritium** may have flowed into the Pacific Ocean since the nuclear disaster.  (A sample emitting radiation from one hundred decays per second would be said to have a radioactivity of 100 becquerels.)

*wtf is a becquerel? The becquerel (symbol Bq) is the SI-derived unit of radioactivity. One Bq is defined as the activity of a quantity of radioactive material in which one nucleus decays per second. The Bq unit is therefore equivalent to an inverse second, s−1.

**wtf is tritium? Tritium (/ˈtrɪtiəm/ or /ˈtrɪʃiəm/; symbol T or 3H, also known as hydrogen-3) is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen.

bordsilver wrote:

Let's look at this a different way because a trillion units of anything tends to sound scary.

According to good old wikipedia, the volume of the pacific ocean is 2.8 billion cubic kilometres, which is equivalent to 2.8 billion trillion kilograms (or 28 with 20 zeroes). So the dilution of the 40 trillion becquerels of radiation is one part per billion kilograms of water on average. Obviously the vast size and the slow turnover of the water in the pacific will mean that it is significantly more concentrated but if we assume only a millionth of the ocean is actually affected, then the added radiation is one becquerel per thousand kilograms (assuming I've done my maths correctly).

What does that mean? According to these guys, the amount of radiation in a standard bag of 20-27-5 NPK fertiliser you may use on your home garden is between 8 and 179 becquerels (i.e. 1 to 22 becquerels per kilogram).

6824_fertilizer.jpg

As previously discussed in this thread, the tritium isn't the only element being released and there are various accumulation effects etc in animals that means caution still needs to be taken in our food chain, but as scary as 40 trillion becquerels sounds, it isn't really that scary in context and readily explains why the fish (excepting a couple of specific local species which aren't allowed to be sold into the food chain) have shown to continue to have radiation levels significantly below any levels of concern.

IAEA wrote:

Q: Which radionuclides could present problems for food production?
- Experience so far has shown that radioactive iodine and caesium are the main radionuclide of concern following emergencies where large amounts of radionuclides have been released from nuclear power plants.
- Radioactive I-131 has a half-life of eight days and decays naturally within weeks. So although it is of concern, it may only be present in the environment for several weeks after the release has occurred.
- Radioactive caesium has a half-life longer than that of radioactive iodine (Cs-134 has a half-life of approximately 2 years and Cs-137 has a half-life of approximately 30 years) and because of this, radioactive caesium can persist in the environment for longer time. For example traces of caesium-137 have been found in the environment for several years after the accident at the power station at Chernobyl and this is also the case following the accident at the Fukushima Daiichi Power Plant.

World Health Organisation wrote:

2. Radionuclides in the marine environment
To date, mainly iodine 131, Cs-134 and Cs-137 have been measured in the marine environment.

No long-term impact is to be expected from I-131. It rapidly decays, (I-131 has a half-life of 8 days) and will soon no longer be detectable and is not expected to be transported over long
distances by ocean currents.

The two longer lived caesium-isotopes (Cs-134, 2 years half-life and Cs-137, 30 year half-life) could be transported over long distances by ocean currents, mainly eastwards by the
Kuroshio current system. The great quantity of water in the Pacific Ocean, however, will rapidly disperse and dilute these radioactive materials. Testing of marine water 30 km off the
coast of Japan has shown that the concentrations of radionuclides have dropped rapidly to very low levels.

3. Radionuclides in seafood
(a) Seafood in Japan
The Japanese regulatory authorities have imposed provisional regulation limits for radionuclides and other restrictions (http://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/topics/2011eq/index.html)
for food, including seafood, and are monitoring fish caught in the prefectures surrounding the damaged nuclear power plant. The Japanese sand lance is the only fish for which levels of
radionuclides exceeding their provisional regulation limits have been measured to date. This fish is not exported and contaminated products will not enter the local market. Results of the
inspection in fisheries products are published by the Japanese Fisheries Agency (http://www.jfa.maff.go.jp/e/inspection/index.html).

(b) Migratory fish from Japanese waters
Migratory fish, such as the Juvenile North Pacific albacore tuna or the Alaska salmon, spend most of their transoceanic migration period outside of Japan's coastal or offshore waters.
Moreover, because of the time required for the fish species to migrate, be harvested and sold on the market, the level of short-lived radionuclides such as I-131 would drop significantly
through natural radioactive decay. Radioactive caesium will also decline when fish leaves contaminated waters as caesium is not bound in the body and will gradually be excreted. The
biological half-life of caesium in sea fish is typically between 5 to 100 days.
To date no elevated levels of radioactivity have been reported. Hence there are no health concerns at this
point from this food source.

(c) Seafood in other parts of the world
Levels of radioactivity in seafood collected away from the waters surrounding Japan are expected to remain significantly below levels of any public health concern. Any contamination
will be dispersed and diluted and it will take months, if not years, to reach riparian Pacific countries.

Last edited by bordsilver (2014-01-06 02:50:07)

The only good tax is a repealed tax.

#8 2014-01-06 05:47:04

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Finally:

(but I'm still avoiding pacific fish.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/01/fukushima … -debunked/

Fukushima Radiation Fallout Rumors Debunked

While several "less reputable" websites are doing their Chicken Little impression and telling everyone that the sky is falling, other's have debunked the Fukushima fallout rumors, or at least, they are trying to. In order to get to the bottom of the radiation issue several other websites are publishing their own anti-Chicken Little reports.

Seems like, with several sides of information being represented, things are not quite that bad yet. At the risk of sounding completely pedantic; the devil really is in the details and when all the information is gathered; the world may not be ready to end in a blanket coating of radioactive fallout at this time.

It is a classic case of certain people having the ability to take some information too literally and to disregard other, just as important, information. For example:

Steam is rising from Reactor 3 - yes it is and it has been, rather simply, debunked by at least one website that points out that, in Japan, it is very cold at the moment. Any Fukushima radiation fallout rumors based on the CCTV footage of steam rising is invalid. The same website points out that: "Reactors put out heat. This is the reason that they must be cooled." In a nutshell, when the reactor broke down, remains of the nuclear fuel remained in the wreckage. These "remains" are still hot and reacting to moisture either through the ground or via the air. Ergo, heat plus moisture equals steam.

Just one of several misleading maps being published on the internet.

Higher radiation levels are being reported - sure they are. After the meltdown of the Daiichi's Reactor 3 sales and procurement of geiger counters went through the proverbial roof. As pointed out by one website these radiation readout tools; placed in untrained hands; can give some pretty wild readings. Added to this little fact is the news that radiation levels can fluctuate…a lot. Stand around one area long enough and the levels will go up as well as down.

Unsurprisingly, the world geiger counter supply has dwindled. In order to meet the new demand for these radioactive readers a group of computer hackers have developed Safecast volunteers who have designed/adapted computer hardware to work as special geiger counters. These volunteers are relying on other volunteers to get accurate readings of radioactivity present in the world.

The reactors at the Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant were usually cooled by seawater which mixed with the ocean currents - is completely untrue. The reactors were cooled by fresh water, not the saltwater from the ocean. Saltwater was added as a last ditch attempt to cool the rapidly overheating reactor. The result was a run-off of radioactive seawater which joined the eventual groundwater run-off.

Maps show that the radiation is following currents and will reach the U.S. West Coast in a matter of days - and these maps are wrong. Or at the very least, misleading. According to Deep Sea News none of the maps that purport to show the spread of "deadly" radioactivity have any credence whatsoever. Citing three of the maps on offer to the general public, the website states that most of them do not have explanatory legends and that at least one, is an absolute fabrication. The fallout is not moving that quickly.

Another map which, despite the ominous red color, shows how the Cesium-137 is weaker as it spreads.

The bottom line about the spread of radioactive fallout from Fukushima is that it will reach the western coastline of the U.S. around 2014…in the fall. Not, as shouted from the Chicken Little's of the internet, in a matter of days. Another debunked rumor about the fallout deals with the concentrations of the fallout itself.

Cesium-137, which is the byproduct of nuclear fission is already in the world's oceans at "safe levels." According to another map on the internet, this Cesium is travelling through the ocean in a highly condensed form spreading death in its wake. This is, however, incorrect as well. The fallout, as it travels away from Fukushima, is actually decreasing in its intensity. By the time it reaches the shores of the U.S. the Cesium-137 will be less radioactive, aka dangerous.

In essence, the radiation fallout from Fukushima rumors have been debunked by not just one website but several. The hysteria being propagated by a few "end of the world" websites is far from the reality of the situation. For a rational, and much more educated discourse, on the subject of the dangers of radiation fallout from the Daiichi power plant, Kim Martini – a Physical Oceanographer – has written a very indepth debunking of the Chicken Little scenario.

By Michael Smith
United Kingdom

Sources:

Fairewinds

Motherboard

Deep Sea News

The following user says thank you for this post: bordsilver

#9 2014-01-06 05:58:17

scone
Silver Stacker
Trades :   50 
Website

Australian fish is still good to eat Julie, just avoid the imported fish as I imagine you have always tried to do.

#10 2014-01-06 06:11:28

JulieW
Silver Stacker

I've been avoiding Northern Hemisphere fish for quite a while except for Alaskan salmon which is in my larder. At least that was purchased a few years ago so as clean and sustainable as it could be. I woke up to Gulf of Siam fish products a long time ago along with Vietnamese fish products.
I used to really like Japanese products too but haven't been eating those since Fukushima.

So it's Southern Ocean and Tasmanian salmon! Many aren't so lucky and the famous seafood of Thailand and Vietnam and Cambodia will soon be a rarity I'm afraid.

#11 2014-01-06 07:39:31

hiho
Silver Stacker
Trades :   270 

Typical leftist propoganda to ensure the bludgers keep getting sponsorship

#12 2014-01-06 08:26:55

millededge
Trades :   16 

hiho wrote:

Typical leftist propoganda to ensure the bludgers keep getting sponsorship

that's right

the truth is that is actually a huge swarm of lefties in the pacific! - easily spotted by the green exterior and red centre

The following user says thank you for this post: hiho

#13 2014-01-06 23:55:46

Lovey80
Trades :   29 

I think you guys would call me anything but a leftie. Having had a little bit of experience with radioactive materials, I am more than concerned with Fukishima. Not so much with what's already been spewed into the ocean and atmosphere (even though that's bad enough). More so with potential future developments.

This isn't even close to being contained, not in the slightest. The amount of stored nuclear material that is still on site at Fukishima, which was never ever designed to be stored on site, is massive. Worst case scenarios are still hugely catastrophic. And those "worst case" scenarios aren't linked to hugely unlikely events like another earthquake like the one that caused all this. A simple small earthquake enough to make one of these structures, that's already badly damaged, collapse, could have world wide ramifications.

Don't blow this off as leftie propaganda. This is a real deal environmental threat.

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: bordsilver, Load of Bullion, fosinator

#14 2014-01-07 02:40:20

Load of Bullion
Trades :   

Lovey80 wrote:

Don't blow this off as leftie propaganda. This is a real deal environmental threat.

It is surely seems to be concern to the Japanese Government and the nuclear industry.
It provides a platform for them to ideally demonstrate openly how efficiently they can solve the ongoing issue.

It is the position of America's EPA that radiation can cause cancer.
http://www.epa.gov/radiation/understand … tml#cancer

I'm scratching my head at the original post on this thread.
I view it as symbolic of problems from the left when it comes to propaganda/biased reporting (correct me if I'm wrong).
The 'right' is just as compliant given the chance. I remember a member on this
forum stating the Fukushima plant would be brought under control with ease
due to authorities being equipt to deal with the situation.
Left and right = poison, IMO.

If I cared for the welfare or organisms that could be at risk or are potentially suffering already, I would have concern.
If I could not care less for organisms that could be at risk or are potentially suffering, I would have no concern.
Humans do not necessarily care about the welfare of other life. Sometimes they care little for their own welfare. That is life.

Reminder to self: Buy Ag <$20 & Au <$1100 only

#15 2014-01-07 06:50:54

hecate
Silver Stacker

Fukushima: Adhesive Tape Used To Stop Radioactive Leaks

#16 2014-02-02 23:51:05

hecate
Silver Stacker

50 Reasons To Fear the Worst from Fukushima   Harvey Wasserman | [This is the first in a two part series]

Fukushima's missing melted cores and radioactive gushers continue to fester in secret.

Japan's harsh dictatorial censorship has been matched by a global corporate media blackout aimed—successfully—at keeping Fukushima out of the public eye.

But that doesn't keep the actual radiation out of our ecosystem, our markets … or our bodies.

Speculation on the ultimate impact ranges from the utterly harmless to the intensely apocalyptic .

But the basic reality is simple: for seven decades, government Bomb factories and privately-owned reactors have spewed massive quantities of unmonitored radiation into the biosphere.

The impacts of these emissions on human and ecological health are unknown primarily because the nuclear industry has resolutely refused to study them.

Indeed, the official presumption has always been that showing proof of damage from nuclear Bomb tests and commercial reactors falls to the victims, not the perpetrators.

And that in any case, the industry will be held virtually harmless.

This "see no evil, pay no damages" mindset dates from the Bombing of Hiroshima to Fukushima to the disaster coming next … which could be happening as you read this.

Here are 50 preliminary reasons why this radioactive legacy demands we prepare for the worst for our oceans, our planet, our economy … ourselves.

1. At Hiroshima and Nagasaki (1945), the U.S. military initially denied that there was any radioactive fallout, or that it could do any damage. Despite an absence of meaningful data, the victims (including a group of U.S. prisoners of war) and their supporters were officially "discredited" and scorned.

2. Likewise, when Nobel-winners Linus Pauling and Andre Sakharov correctly warned of a massive global death toll from atmospheric Bomb testing, they were dismissed with official contempt … until they won in the court of public opinion.

3. During and after the Bomb Tests (1946-63), downwinders in the South Pacific and American west, along with thousands of U.S. "atomic vets," were told their radiation-induced health problems were imaginary … until they proved utterly irrefutable.

4. When British Dr. Alice Stewart proved (1956) that even tiny x-ray doses to pregnant mothers could double childhood leukemia rates, she was assaulted with 30 years of heavily funded abuse from the nuclear and medical establishments.

5. But Stewart's findings proved tragically accurate, and helped set in stone the medical health physics consensus that there is no "safe dose" of radiation … and that pregnant women should not be x-rayed, or exposed to equivalent radiation.

6. More than 400 commercial power reactors have been injected into our ecosphere with no meaningful data to measure their potential health and environmental impacts, and no systematic global data base has been established or maintained.

7. "Acceptable dose" standards for commercial reactors were conjured from faulty A-Bomb studiesbegun five years after Hiroshima, and at Fukushima and elsewhere have been continually made more lax to save the industry money.

8. Bomb/reactor fallout delivers alpha and beta particle emitters that enter the body and do long-term damage, but which industry backers often wrongly equate with less lethal external gamma/x-ray doses from flying in airplanes or living in Denver.

9. By refusing to compile long-term emission assessments, the industry systematically hides health impacts at Three Mile Island (TMI), Chernobyl, Fukushima, etc., forcing victims to rely on isolated independent studies which it automatically deems "discredited."

10. Human health damage has been amply suffered in radium watch dial painting, Bomb production, uranium mining/milling/enrichment, waste management and other radioactive work, despite decades of relentless industry denial.

11. When Dr. Ernest Sternglass, who had worked with Albert Einstein, warned that reactor emissions were harming people, thousands of copies of his Low-Level Radiation (1971)mysteriously disappeared from their primary warehouse.

12. When the Atomic Energy Commission's (AEC) Chief Medical Officer, Dr. John Gofman, urged that reactor dose levels be lowered by 90 percent, he was forced out of the AEC and publicly attacked, despite his status a founder of the industry.

13. A member of the Manhattan Project, and a medical doctor responsible for pioneer research into LDL cholesterol, Gofman later called the reactor industry an instrument of "premeditated mass murder."

14. Stack monitors and other monitoring devices failed at Three Mile Island (1979) making it impossible to know how much radiation escaped, where it went or who it impacted and how.

15. But some 2,400 TMI downwind victims and their families were denied a class action jury trial by a federal judge who said "not enough radiation" was released to harm them, though she could not say how much that was or where it went.

16. During TMI's meltdown, industry advertising equated the fallout with a single chest x-ray to everyone downwind, ignoring the fact that such doses could double leukemia rates among children born to involuntarily irradiated mothers.

17. Widespread death and damage downwind from TMI have been confirmed by Dr. Stephen Wing, Jane Lee and Mary Osbourne, Sister Rosalie Bertell, Dr. Sternglass, Jay Gould, Joe Mangano and others, along with hundreds of anecdotal reports.

18. Radioactive harm to farm and wild animals downwind from TMI has been confirmed by the Baltimore News-American and Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture.

19. TMI's owner quietly paid out at least $15 million in damages in exchange for gag orders from the affected families, including at least one case involving a child born with Down's Syndrome.

20. Chernobyl's explosion became public knowledge only when massive emissions came down on a Swedish reactor hundreds of miles away, meaning that—as at TMI and Fukushima—no one knows precisely how much escaped or where it went.

21.  Fukushima's on-going fallout is already far in excess of that from Chernobyl, which was far in excess of that from Three Mile Island.

22.  Soon after Chernobyl blew up (1986), Dr. Gofman predicted its fallout would kill at least 400,000 people worldwide.

23. Three Russian scientists who compiled more than 5,000 studies concluded in 2005 that Chernobyl had already killed nearly a million people worldwide.

24.  Children born in downwind Ukraine and Belarus still suffer a massive toll of mutation and illness, as confirmed by a wide range of governmental, scientific and humanitarian organizations.

25. Key low-ball Chernobyl death estimates come from the World Health Organization, whose numbers are overseen by International Atomic Energy Agency, a United Nations organization chartered to promote the nuclear industry.

26. After 28 years, the reactor industry has still not succeeded in installing a final sarcophagus over the exploded Chernobyl Unit 4, though billions of dollars have been invested.

27. When Fukushima Units 1-4 began to explode, President Obama assured us all the fallout would not come here, and would harm no one, despite having no evidence for either assertion.

28. Since President Obama did that, the U.S. has established no integrated system to monitor Fukushima's fallout, nor an epidemiological data base to track its health impacts … but it did stop checking radiation levels in Pacific seafood.

29. Early reports of thyroid abnormalities among children downwind from Fukushima, and in North America are denied by industry backers who again say "not enough radiation" was emitted though they don't know how much that might be.

30. Devastating health impacts reported by sailors stationed aboard the USS Ronald Reagan near Fukushima are being denied by the industry and Navy, who say radiation doses were too small to do harm, but have no idea what they were.

31. While in a snowstorm offshore as Fukushima melted, sailors reported a warm cloud passing over the Reagan that brought a "metallic taste" like that described by TMI downwinders and the airmen who dropped the Bomb on Hiroshima.

32. Though it denies the sailors on the Reagan were exposed to enough Fukushima radiation to harm them, Japan (like South Korea and Guam) denied the ship port access because it was too radioactive (it's now docked in San Diego).

33. The Reagan sailors are barred from suing the Navy, but have filed a class action against Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco), which has joined the owners at TMI, the Bomb factories, uranium mines, etc., in denying all responsibility.

34. A U.S. military "lessons learned" report from Fukushima's Operation Tomodachi clean-up campaign notes that "decontamination of aircraft and personnel without alarming the general population created new challenges."

35. The report questioned the clean-up because "a true decontamination operations standard for 'clearance' was not set," thereby risking "the potential spread of radiological contamination to military personnel and the local populace."

36. Nonetheless, it reported that during the clean-up, "the use of duct tape and baby wipes was effective in the removal of radioactive particles."

37. In league with organized crime, Tepco is pursuing its own clean-up activities by recruiting impoverished homeless and elderly citizens for "hot" on-site labor, with the quality of their work and the nature of their exposures now a state secret.

38. At least 300 tons of radioactive water continue to pour into the ocean at Fukushima every day, according to official estimates made prior to such data having been made a state secret.

39. To the extent they can be known, the quantities and make-up of radiation pouring out of Fukushima are also now a state secret, with independent measurement or public speculation punishable by up to ten years in prison.

40. Likewise, "There is no systematic testing in the U.S. of air, food and water for radiation," according to University of California (Berkeley) nuclear engineering Professor Eric Norman.

41. Many radioactive isotopes tend to concentrate as they pour into the air and water, so deadly clumps of Fukushima's radiation may migrate throughout the oceans for centuries to come before diffusing, which even then may not render it harmless.

42. Radiation's real world impact becomes even harder to measure in an increasingly polluted biosphere, where interaction with existing toxins creates a synergy likely to exponentially accelerate the damage being done to all living things.

43. Reported devastation among starfish, sardines, salmon, sea lions, orcas and other ocean animals cannot be definitively denied without a credible data base of previous experimentation and monitoring, which does not exist and is not being established.

44. The fact that "tiny" doses of x-ray can harm human embryos portends that any unnatural introduction of lethal radioactive isotopes into the biosphere, however "diffuse," can affect our intertwined global ecology in ways we don't now understand. 

45. The impact of allegedly "minuscule" doses spreading from Fukushima will, over time, affect the minuscule eggs of creatures ranging from sardines to starfish to sea lions, with their lethal impact enhanced by the other pollutants already in the sea.

46. Dose comparisons to bananas and other natural sources are absurd and misleading as the myriad isotopes from reactor fallout will impose very different biological impacts for centuries to come in a wide range of ecological settings.

47. No current dismissal of general human and ecological impacts—"apocalyptic" or otherwise—can account over time for the very long half-lives of radioactive isotopes Fukushima is now pouring into the biosphere.

48. As Fukushima's impacts spread through the centuries, the one certainty is that no matter what evidence materializes, the nuclear industry will never admit to doing any damage, and will never be forced to pay for it (see upcoming sequel).

49. Hyman Rickover, father of the nuclear navy, warned that it is a form of suicide to raise radiation levels within Earth's vital envelope, and that if he could, he would "sink" all the reactors he helped develop.

50. "Now when we go back to using nuclear power," he said in 1982, "I think the human race is going to wreck itself, and it is important that we get control of this horrible force and try to eliminate it."

As Fukushima deteriorates behind an iron curtain of secrecy and deceit, we desperately need to know what it's doing to us and our planet.

It's tempting to say the truth lies somewhere between the industry's lies and the rising fear of a tangible apocalypse.

In fact, the answers lie beyond.

Defined by seven decades of deceit, denial and a see-no-evil dearth of meaningful scientific study, the glib corporate assurances that this latest reactor disaster won't hurt us fade to absurdity.

Fukushima pours massive, unmeasured quantities of lethal radiation into our fragile ecosphere every day, and will do so for decades to come.

Five power reactors have now exploded on this planet and there are more than 400 others still operating.

What threatens us most is the inevitable next disaster … along with the one after that … and then the one after that …

Pre-wrapped in denial, protected by corporate privilege, they are the ultimate engines of global terror.

http://ecowatch.com/2014/02/02/50-reaso … fukushima/

#17 2014-02-03 00:40:10

hiho
Silver Stacker
Trades :   270 

Amazingly the thousands of people killed by the tsunami in the neighbouring areas who were in shops, offices, schools, at the airport, in the harbour and elsewhere are essentially ignored while there is this strange continuing phobia about warning people of 'the dangers of Fukushima.'

#18 2014-02-03 01:24:48

Old Codger
Silver Stacker

August 1945,    TWO near ground burst atomic explosions within a few days.

Millions dead along the US west coast! (??)

About 1000 above ground nukes set off over 15 years around the world. About half in Russian Siberia etc. Another 1000 or so underground blasts.

About 2000 miners killed in coal mines EVERY YEAR!

OC

"The Australian Labor Party is a democratic socialist party and has the objective of the democratic socialisation of industry, production, distribution and exchange, to the extent necessary to eliminate exploitation and other anti-social features in these fields."   -  ALP Constitution.

#19 2014-02-03 08:53:36

Greg Williams
Silver Stacker
Trades :   175 

Japanese radio commentator quits after being told to shut up about Fukushima nuclear plant

Japanese Prime Minister   Shinzo Abe has claimed that the problems at the Fukushima power plant are under control.

But stories keep percolating out of the country raising questions about the state of the nuclear reactors in the area crippled by a March 2011 earthquake and tsunami.

Russia Today has reported that a commentator on Japan's Radio 1 has quit after he was instructed not to discuss the nuclear accident until after a gubernatorial election.

And this commentator, Toru Nakakita, is an economics professor at the University of Tokyo in Tokyo.

Nakakita quit as a result of the censorship order.

Nuclear energy is reportedly a major issue in the election.

Here's part of the Russia Today report:

In his commentary, the economist intended to discuss the fact that the cost of decommissioning of Japanese nuclear power plants reflects inadequately on the balance sheets of public utility companies. Moreover, he planned to tell about growing operating costs of nuclear power around the world, in the light of the recent surge in insurance premiums and security costs.

Representatives of HNK [sic] company, the owner of Radio 1, argue that they wanted the broadcast to be impartial as well as to observe the principle of saturation coverage. Furthermore, according to them, they simply could not find an expert with the opposite point of view on the issue in time.

SOURCE

#20 2014-02-07 01:20:10

hecate
Silver Stacker

Underground water skyrockets from 'not detected' to 1.7 Million Bq/liter of strontium-90 and other beta radionuclides — Antimony-125 now showing up — Tepco changes measurements from 'under analysis' to 'out of range'

http://enenews.com/underground-water-sk … showing-up

#21 2014-02-10 23:32:44

ozcopper
Administrator
Website

yikes

The following user says thank you for this post: errol43

#22 2016-02-25 07:26:51

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Trades :   122 
Website

I was around 250km from Fukushima when this happened. As soon as the government said everything was under control, the Japanese guy who I worked with said something like "confirmed, definitely a meltdown". We all knew it.

Tepco admits it should have declared meltdowns at Fukushima plant much earlier

FEB 24, 2016

Nearly five years after the nation's worst nuclear accident, Tokyo Electric Power Co. has admitted that its staff failed to follow damage assessment guidelines, according to which they should have reported the meltdowns almost immediately.

Tepco knew the extent of the damage early on. As of March 14, 2011, it estimated that 55 percent of the fuel rod assemblies of the reactor No. 1 and 25 percent of those at reactor No. 3 were "damaged," based on the levels of radiation detected, Tepco spokesperson Yukako Handa told The Japan Times by phone.

Yet, despite widespread public skepticism at that time, the company refused to use the word "meltdown" for a period of about two months.

...Whether to admit a "meltdown" was taking place at the plant was a sensitive topic for both the central government and Tepco from the start.

On March 12, one day after the tsunami knocked out power and cooling facilities, Koichiro Nakamura, a senior official at the now-defunct Nuclear and Industry Safety Agency, told a news conference that a "meltdown of a reactor's core" may be taking place at the Fukushima plant, given the radiation levels detected.

Nakamura was promptly removed from a PR position at the agency, sparking speculation of a government cover-up of something critical underway at the site.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/0 … s4RXZwrLIU

Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

#23 2016-02-25 07:41:06

ozcopper
Administrator
Website

The following user says thank you for this post: tozak

#24 2016-02-29 03:13:02

Peter

Fukushima disaster: Ex-Tepco executives charged with negligence - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35684098

"It is no measure of health to be well-adjusted to a sick society." ~ Jiddu Krishnamurti

#25 2016-02-29 18:11:35

SilverDJ

And what does that "percentage of release tracer in grid cell" actually mean on the image?
Anyone can plot a nasty looking graph that shows anything if the scale it and colour code it and use the resolution of the measuring instrument to your advantage.
The radiation in red could be two fiths of bugger-all.

Board footer