who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-04-23 14:23:07

wrcmad
Silver Stacker
Trades :   88 

Re: Coin bags to store .999

Nik wrote:

If your after an air-tite solution, I guess you could store your silver in a paper bag, and then in a large sandwitch zip-lock bag, but what a hassle.

Don't store silver in paper, as the chemicals can leach and damage the metal.

It is also well known that PVC will damage silver. When heat and light act upon PVC, it breaks down chemically and hydrochloric acid is released. This, in turn, can cause chemical damage to the surface of the coins that the holders are supposed to be protecting.

Often, plasticizers are used to enhance the chemical properties of PVC holders, and these can ooze out and form an oily film upon the coins, greasing the skids for still further damage.

There is a simple test you can perform to find out for sure, although you will probably need a spare tube or flip, as the test is destructive.

This test determines whether a plastic contains PVC or polyvinylidene chloride, both chlorine-containing plastics. To carry out the test you will need a small propane torch and a copper wire.

1. Heat the copper wire in the flame of the torch until it burns cleanly. (Make sure you are not holding the wire in your hand or it will burn!) This serves to burn off any unwanted residues that might be on the wire.

2. Touch the hot wire to the coin tube so that some of the tube melts and sticks to the wire.

3. Put the wire back into the flame.

If the flame burns yellow or clear, no PVC present. If the flame burns bright green, then some PVC is present.

Copper by itself burns cleanly,  but produces a green flame (copper chloride) when combined with a compound containing chlorine ( e.g., PVC)

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable.  wink

Manipulation..... If you want to continually subscribe to this idea then get out of precious metals. Only a fool would play a game that is completely rigged. As you still are in the game, I would say that you are not completely convinced of the manipulation ...

The following user says thank you for this post: Nik

#27 2013-04-23 14:27:41

Nik
Banned

Thanks, wrcmad. That was an interesting post. I'll definatly look further into what you have said when I get time.

#28 2013-04-23 15:16:58

dcl
Trades :   

I've got some silver stored in plastic sandwich bags, I'm guessing this is bad?

I figured air tight in a dark place would be good, but perhaps I can find a better container for it.

#29 2013-04-23 15:30:25

Austacker
Member++
Trades :   52 
Website

I am led to believe anything Food grade is Poly something ? which is safe for storage and doesn't leech. Sandwich bags fit into this option.

#30 2013-04-23 15:31:25

wrcmad
Silver Stacker
Trades :   88 

Austacker wrote:

I am led to believe anything Food grade is Poly something ? which is safe for storage and doesn't leech. Sandwich bags fit into this option.

+1

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable.  wink

Manipulation..... If you want to continually subscribe to this idea then get out of precious metals. Only a fool would play a game that is completely rigged. As you still are in the game, I would say that you are not completely convinced of the manipulation ...

#31 2013-04-23 18:07:02

DanielM
Silver Stacker
Trades :   29 

Nik wrote:
DanielM wrote:

dont let some high maintenance people such as this one ruin your experience here

Wanting a capsule that fits the coin it is intended for isn't 'high maintainance', its called wanting the right product. Its like when your buying new clothes - you want something that fits you, and not something two sizes smaller than what you need. Same applies with capsules. Think before you talk.

ok like i SAID, i have personally got all the coins he mentioned and have put them in either air-tite H39 or H40.6 capsules and they fit great

9212_img_1948.jpg

the guy brought the wrong airtites

Air-Tites website states that the I model case has an inside depth of 2.92mm, and that the silver coins I bought them for will fit in them, however, all the silver coins are thicker than the inside depth:

instead of buying the H model

this forum doesnt need high maintenence new members like you guys giving attitued to people trying to help

so yeah like you said about the thinking

Don't be shy....Stack it high!!

#32 2013-04-23 18:36:18

Nik
Banned

DanielM wrote:

ok like i SAID, i have personally got all the coins he mentioned and have put them in either air-tite H39 or H40.6 capsules and they fit great

air-tites.com says the coins I listed will fit into the I model captules, but the dimensions of the capsules are smaller than the coins claimed the capsules are mean't for. Your opinion that they are 'great' is based on your tollerance of quality. Your obviously squashing them in or putting coins in them that are much smaller and as a result get rattling. Maths doesn't lie.

DanielM wrote:

Air-Tites website states that the I model case has an inside depth of 2.92mm, and that the silver coins I bought them for will fit in them, however, all the silver coins are thicker than the inside depth:

If you bothered to do you research, you would know that air-tites.com states that I model cases are suitable for the coins I specified, and would realise their website his wrong.

DanielM wrote:

this forum doesnt need high maintenence new members like you guys giving attitued to people trying to help

No, what this forum doesn't need is people like you going around talking shit and giving innacurate informtion about products you don't even bother researching. Unlike you, I research everything I say and make sure to the best of my ability that I what I say is correct, and I don't go around insulting people because I disagree with them.

#33 2013-04-23 18:39:51

DanielM
Silver Stacker

Nik wrote:
DanielM wrote:

air-tites.com says the coins I listed will fit into the I model captules, but the dimensions of the capsules are smaller than the coins claimed the capsules are mean't for. Your opinion that they are 'great' is based on your tollerance of quality. Your obviously squashing them in or putting coins in them that are much smaller and as a result get rattling. Maths doesn't lie.

DanielM wrote:

If you bothered to do you research, you would know that air-tites.com states that I model cases are suitable for the coins I specified, and would realise their website his wrong.

DanielM wrote:

No, what this forum doesn't need is people like you going around talking shit and giving innacurate informtion about products you don't even bother researching. Unlike you, I research everything I say and make sure to the best of my ability that I what I say is correct, and I don't go around insulting people because I disagree with them.

ok then, buying the products from the company mentioned, owning the coins mentioned and then putting them together to realise that hey the fit great doesnt compare to your research, then i guess you MUST win

#34 2013-04-23 18:45:08

DanielM
Silver Stacker

ok show me where it says 'I' fits these coins please?

http://www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm

give me a link

#35 2013-04-23 18:53:12

Nik
Banned

I model specification states it has an inner depth of 2.92mm.
Source: http://www.air-tites.com/air-tite_capsu … XY78NfT2kA

air-tites.com coin size chart says the following coins fit in the I model:

Austria Philharmonic; Britannia; Panda; Mexican Libertad; American Eagle

Source: http://www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm

Here are the dimensions of the above coins in thickness:

Austria Philharmonic - 3.2mm
Britannia - 3.1mm
Panda - 3.42mm
Mexican Libertad - 3.6-4mm
American Eagle - 2.98mm

So, seing the I model capsule depth is only 2.92mm, how are these coins going to fit in the I model capsule? They can't!

I don't know what your doing to get your coins into your capsules, but according to the official dimensions, it is impossible - at least in a way of using the capsules on how their intended to be used.

#36 2013-04-23 18:55:15

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker
Trades :   212 

lol lol lol
I see what the problem is wink

AND I"M NOT TELLING tongue
lol lol lol

I don't have an attitude problem.
You have a problem with my attitude, and that's not my problem.

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

#37 2013-04-23 19:02:49

DanielM
Silver Stacker

spannermonkey wrote:

lol lol lol

lol lol lol

So do I, the whole I/H thing, I just still cannot find where it says the I model is good

#38 2013-04-23 19:04:35

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker

DanielM wrote:
spannermonkey wrote:

lol lol lol

lol lol lol

So do I, the whole I/H thing, I just still cannot find where it says the I model is good

I think his now a " QUALIFIED IDIOT " sad

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

#39 2013-04-23 19:05:55

DanielM
Silver Stacker

Nik wrote:

I model specification states it has an inner depth of 2.92mm.
Source: http://www.air-tites.com/air-tite_capsu … XY78NfT2kA

air-tites.com coin size chart says the following coins fit in the I model:

Austria Philharmonic; Britannia; Panda; Mexican Libertad; American Eagle

Source: http://www.air-tites.com/coin_size_chart.htm

Here are the dimensions of the above coins in thickness:

Austria Philharmonic - 3.2mm
Britannia - 3.1mm
Panda - 3.42mm
Mexican Libertad - 3.6-4mm
American Eagle - 2.98mm

So, seing the I model capsule depth is only 2.92mm, how are these coins going to fit in the I model capsule? They can't!

I don't know what your doing to get your coins into your capsules, but according to the official dimensions, it is impossible - at least in a way of using the capsules on how their intended to be used.

I didn't say they would fit in the I model, I said the H model is good and I STILL cannot find where it says the I model IS FOR those coins

#40 2013-04-23 19:06:13

Nik
Banned

Its not directly said, I had to figure it out myself (hence my reference to this website being a shit dump)

I.E: If you go down to the 1 oz. Philharmonic Silver coin and click on the matching capsule "Ring Type Air-Tite - 37mm" URL, you will see it takes you to the I model capsule:

http://www.air-tites.com/Air-Tite_Ring_ … tm#I_Model

Last edited by Nik (2013-04-23 19:06:58)

#41 2013-04-23 19:08:40

Nik
Banned

pwnd?

#42 2013-04-23 19:20:34

DanielM
Silver Stacker

F@&)!

Ok that part is stupid, and you are right, but it still doesn't say it fits it

If the guy looked at the dimensions first he'd know

#43 2013-04-23 19:21:20

DanielM
Silver Stacker

spannermonkey wrote:
DanielM wrote:
spannermonkey wrote:

lol lol lol

lol lol lol

Who is

#44 2013-04-23 19:23:51

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker

DanielM wrote:
spannermonkey wrote:
DanielM wrote:

Who is

Who's the only person who's had issues with capsules
He sounds like he doesn't even have any coins to start with .

#45 2013-04-23 19:24:40

Nik
Banned

Yes it does, it links to the matching capsule, which is an I model capsule.

Don't blame the guy in this case mate. You clearly didn't bother to look into it yourself, instead, come here vomitting up your gut feeling and insulting me, when all I did was say how it is.

I've got things to do and I'm not talking about it anymore.

#46 2013-04-23 19:46:09

DanielM
Silver Stacker

Nik wrote:

Yes it does, it links to the matching capsule, which is an I model capsule.

Don't blame the guy in this case mate. You clearly didn't bother to look into it yourself, instead, come here vomitting up your gut feeling and insulting me, when all I did was say how it is.

I've got things to do and I'm not talking about it anymore.

Ok its my fault you cannot read but can follow links I'm sorry

Board footer