Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will reopen on Monday.

#1 2012-12-02 21:25:58

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Trades :   102 
Website

Richest Man in Babylon

I'll start, a really simple one, from "the Richest man in Babylon":

Save 1/10th of your wage before you pay anything else. This means, pre-tax income.

The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.
"The Woolgrower's Companion", 1906.

The following user says thank you for this post: revlisify

#2 2012-12-02 21:39:27

ozcopper
Administrator
Website

Re: Richest Man in Babylon

It's a great book with lots of gold talk smile

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

#3 2012-12-02 22:32:43

Captain Kookaburra
Silver Stacker
Trades :   147 

I only read about 1/10th of it... wink

Metal or Nothing ...... Fiats belong in garages, not money paper clips.

The following 8 users say thank you for this post: ozcopper, mmm....shiney!, fishball, bellinvest, Clawhammer, Apollo, Auspm, Dogmatix

#4 2012-12-02 22:41:00

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

Captain Kookaburra wrote:

I only read about 1/10th of it... wink

Well, as long as you saved the best bits you're on a winner.

The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.

#5 2012-12-03 00:03:02

Sargeant Argent
Trades :   

An old addage my folks always told me this growing up.

#6 2012-12-03 00:48:32

Ernster
Trades :   

I love "real" books now!

I read Rich Dad Poor Dad last week.

and I started Mike Maloneys book and have read over half the book in 1 night!

Might have to give Richest man in Babylon another go. I find with some of the real old books the language just doesn't motivate me to keep reading.

Damn I'm turning into a nerd:(

#7 2012-12-03 01:53:58

petey
Silver Stacker

For those with kids getting into the workforce, suggest what my dad did to me:

Save half of your income in one account (in hindsight, PM's?), and the rest is your spending money. When you come out of school, even a few hundred a week is a massive amount of money. Teach them to live with half of stuff all and they will always be resourceful.

I did this until I was around 23 (saved half of my wage). Never felt like I was poor or missing out and when it came time to buy some land it really helped out (no mortgage insurance).

Thanks for the book recommendation, I'll be checking it out.

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, Auspm, Dogmatix

#8 2012-12-03 02:15:31

House
Moderator/ Legend
Trades :   232 

Ernster wrote:

I have to give Richest man in Babylon another go. I find with some of the real old books the language just doesn't motivate me to keep reading.

There's a recent edition that's been updated and revised for the 21st century, I found it much easier to read and comprehend than the old one with all it's fuddy duddy language. Try give that a go this time round

WBI- 41.16

"There's no point in paying a mortgage on an asset that is going to fall by 40 per cent or so in the next few years". Steve Keen, 2008.
Stacker FAQ'S. New threads welcome- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … faq-s.html

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, Ernster, Dogmatix

#9 2012-12-06 19:41:26

gcsun
Trade awaiting resolution
Trades :   14 

@silver stacker.

Link to the modern day version???

#10 2012-12-06 20:41:07

Auspm
Banned
Trades :   

r0dman wrote:

Save half of your income in one account (in hindsight, PM's?), and the rest is your spending money. When you come out of school, even a few hundred a week is a massive amount of money. Teach them to live with half of stuff all and they will always be resourceful.

I did this until I was around 23 (saved half of my wage). Never felt like I was poor or missing out and when it came time to buy some land it really helped out (no mortgage insurance).

Amazing that back 'in the day' you're told savings is the key to wealth creation.

What do you get told nowadays about saving?

#11 2012-12-06 20:52:09

JulieW
Silver Stacker

House wrote:
Ernster wrote:

I have to give Richest man in Babylon another go. I find with some of the real old books the language just doesn't motivate me to keep reading.

There's a recent edition that's been updated and revised for the 21st century, I found it much easier to read and comprehend than the old one with all it's fuddy duddy language. Try give that a go this time round

Methinks thou doth protesteth too much.
smile

The following user says thank you for this post: purplefunkything

#12 2012-12-06 21:17:21

House
Moderator/ Legend
Trades :   232 

JulieW wrote:
House wrote:
Ernster wrote:

smile

Now think of the poor people with lisps who had to say that!

WBI- 41.16

"There's no point in paying a mortgage on an asset that is going to fall by 40 per cent or so in the next few years". Steve Keen, 2008.
Stacker FAQ'S. New threads welcome- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … faq-s.html

The following 4 users say thank you for this post: Auspm, RhythmDoctor, bordsilver, Dogmatix

#13 2012-12-07 01:39:04

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

Auspm wrote:
r0dman wrote:

Amazing that back 'in the day' you're told savings is the key to wealth creation.

Saving is the first of Arkad's cure for a lean purse.

"For every ten coins thou placest within thy purse take out for use but nine....

Surely it is a law of the Gods that unto him who keepeth and spendeth not a certain part of all his earnings, shall gold come more easily."

Arkad, from "The Richest man in Babylon".

The second of Arkad's cures are hinted at in the following quotes:

"Study thoughtfully thy accustomed habits of living. Herein may be most often found certain accepted expenses that may wisely be reduced or eliminated. Let thy motto be one hundred percent of appreciated value demanded for each coin spent.

"Therefore, engrave upon the clay each thing for which thou desireth to spend. Select those that are necessary and others that are possible through the expenditure of nine- tenths of thy income. Cross out the rest and consider them but a part of that great multitude of desires that must go unsatisfied and regret them not." (My emphasis, not meant to be a clue, just a piece of sage advice).

Any one out there, if you haven't read it have a guess what Arkad's second cure is, try not to cheat by googling, work it out yourself from the quote lol

#14 2012-12-07 03:09:24

JulieW
Silver Stacker

House wrote:
JulieW wrote:
House wrote:

smile

Now think of the poor people with lisps who had to say that!

It's an age old problem:

The following user says thank you for this post: REDBACK

#15 2012-12-07 06:35:01

goldpelican
Administrator
Trades :   153 
Website

Put this into practice this week.

10% of pre-tax pay straight into unallocated silver. 20% onto the credit card that's got the remains of a holiday balance on it.

My posts on Silver Stackers are either personal opinion or acting in the capacity of site administrator. Opinions offered do not constitute professional or financial advice.

The following user says thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!

#16 2012-12-07 06:50:05

renovator
Trades :   

Auspm wrote:
r0dman wrote:

the same thing  ..If you listen to the right people

i used to be disgusted now im just amused

#17 2012-12-07 08:18:07

honey stacker
Silver Stacker
Trades :   

mmm....shiney! wrote:
Auspm wrote:
r0dman wrote:

Saving is the first of Arkad's cure for a lean purse.

"For every ten coins thou placest within thy purse take out for use but nine....

Surely it is a law of the Gods that unto him who keepeth and spendeth not a certain part of all his earnings, shall gold come more easily."

Arkad, from "The Richest man in Babylon".

The second of Arkad's cures are hinted at in the following quotes:

"Study thoughtfully thy accustomed habits of living. Herein may be most often found certain accepted expenses that may wisely be reduced or eliminated. Let thy motto be one hundred percent of appreciated value demanded for each coin spent.

"Therefore, engrave upon the clay each thing for which thou desireth to spend. Select those that are necessary and others that are possible through the expenditure of nine- tenths of thy income. Cross out the rest and consider them but a part of that great multitude of desires that must go unsatisfied and regret them not." (My emphasis, not meant to be a clue, just a piece of sage advice).

Any one out there, if you haven't read it have a guess what Arkad's second cure is, try not to cheat by googling, work it out yourself from the quote lol

Is it budgeting?

#18 2012-12-07 08:19:07

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

renovator wrote:
Auspm wrote:
r0dman wrote:

the same thing  ..If you listen to the right people

Ooh, a clue into one of Arkad's other cures. Have you read the book reno?

Anyway, back onto to Cure #2:

Does anyone want to play the guessing game and have a stab at what Arkad's second cure is? No googling now, use the quote to guide you. Six free ounces of gold from the Perth Mint to whoever guesses correctly (I haven't confirmed this with the Perth Mint yet).

#19 2012-12-07 08:35:31

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

honey stacker wrote:

Is it budgeting?

Nearly wink

What is on of the aims of budgeting?

#20 2012-12-07 08:38:54

honey stacker
Silver Stacker
Trades :   

1.Seeing where the money is going so you can redirect it to a different place?
2.Spending less on the silly stuff?
3..................................................?

Its 3 isn't it!

#21 2012-12-07 08:49:08

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

honey stacker wrote:

1.Seeing where the money is going so you can redirect it to a different place?
2.Spending less on the silly stuff?
3..................................................?

Its 3 isn't it!

2!!!  Control your expenditure big_smile 6 ounces of gold from the Perth Mint (still to be confirmed) to you honey stacker.

"Now I will tell thee of an unusual truth about men and sons of men. It is this; That what each of us calls our 'necessary expenses' will always grow to equal our incomes unless we protest to the contrary.

"Confuse not the necessary expenses with thy desires. Each of you, together with your good families, have more desires than your earnings can gratify. Therefore are thy earnings spent to gratify these desires insofar as they will go. Still thou retainest many ungratified desires.

"All men are burdened with more desires than they can gratify...

"Therefore, engrave upon the clay each thing for which thou desireth to spend. Select those that are necessary and others that are possible through the expenditure of nine-tenths of thy income. Cross out the rest and consider them but a part of that great multitude of desires that must go unsatisfied and regret them not."

Last edited by mmm....shiney! (2012-12-07 08:49:53)

#22 2012-12-07 08:53:00

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

Arkad's cures so far:

1. Save 1/10 of your gross income
2. Control your expenditure

#23 2012-12-07 09:17:31

long88
Trades :   13 

3. buy pm

mmm....shiney! wrote:

Arkad's cures so far:

#24 2012-12-07 16:18:45

Fykus
Silver Stacker
Trades :   13 

how many sagely advices are there

#25 2012-12-07 18:35:27

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

Fykus wrote:

how many sagely advices are there

long88 wrote:

3. buy pm

mmm....shiney! wrote:

Arkad's cures so far:

The story is set at a time in history when the currency in use was gold, silver and copper - there was no need to by PM's as a hedge, you were paid in them.  wink

Board footer