Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-06 13:16:35

1for1
Member++
From: NSW, Australia
Registered: 2011-05-03
Posts: 3,100
Trades :   179 
Website

BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

REASON ITS FLAWED...

Who gets the profit from each bitcoin born into existence? AHA!

If this automatic generation of coins was given out free (ie: each person in earth gets a turn at recieving a bit coin based on a equal allocation system) similar to the current system (except the current system only beneifts the creator who sells each!) then this would actually work.. as the current set-up sees private hands profiting each time a bit-coin is born into the system bit coin is no better than any other privately created money.

The whole idea with Fiat money in a working system is that the money is born into the system debt free at benefit of society..

Anyone here who has purchased bit-coins want to explain how a private indivual making digital currency and selling it at the current PRICE for it is a good working monetary system? To me its just another flawed system designed to benefit the creator (much like the problem with current IMF issued through debt fiat folly).

1for1

Last edited by 1for1 (2012-08-06 13:17:56)


Bullion is Bullion, Numismatics are Old and Circulated

A huge range of collectibles from cards (trading and post), gems, spoons, cufflinks, stamps, medals, regalia - email me if you are looking
Silver News at Galeforcesales.com

Offline

#2 2012-08-06 13:24:17

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

1for1 wrote:

REASON ITS FLAWED...

Who gets the profit from each bitcoin born into existence? AHA!

If this automatic generation of coins was given out free (ie: each person in earth gets a turn at recieving a bit coin based on a equal allocation system) similar to the current system (except the current system only beneifts the creator who sells each!) then this would actually work.. as the current set-up sees private hands profiting each time a bit-coin is born into the system bit coin is no better than any other privately created money.

The whole idea with Fiat money in a working system is that the money is born into the system debt free at benefit of society..

Anyone here who has purchased bit-coins want to explain how a private indivual making digital currency and selling it at the current PRICE for it is a good working monetary system? To me its just another flawed system designed to benefit the creator (much like the problem with current IMF issued through debt fiat folly).

1for1

Bitcoins work on the same principle as mining.   You can mine gold and all it costs you is time and resources, not everyone goes out and mines gold because they put their time and resources into something the see as more worthwhile.  The price of gold represent the time and resources originally put in and the amount of time and resources it would take to put in now.  Bit coins cost time and resources to mine, every one that gets mined makes the next one harder to mine so you need more time and resources to get it.

But even given all that G&S bitchslap bitcoin IMHO


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

#3 2012-08-06 13:29:34

1for1
Member++
From: NSW, Australia
Registered: 2011-05-03
Posts: 3,100
Trades :   179 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

thatguy wrote:
1for1 wrote:

REASON ITS FLAWED...

Who gets the profit from each bitcoin born into existence? AHA!

If this automatic generation of coins was given out free (ie: each person in earth gets a turn at recieving a bit coin based on a equal allocation system) similar to the current system (except the current system only beneifts the creator who sells each!) then this would actually work.. as the current set-up sees private hands profiting each time a bit-coin is born into the system bit coin is no better than any other privately created money.

The whole idea with Fiat money in a working system is that the money is born into the system debt free at benefit of society..

Anyone here who has purchased bit-coins want to explain how a private indivual making digital currency and selling it at the current PRICE for it is a good working monetary system? To me its just another flawed system designed to benefit the creator (much like the problem with current IMF issued through debt fiat folly).

1for1

Bitcoins work on the same principle as mining.   You can mine gold and all it costs you is time and resources, not everyone goes out and mines gold because they put their time and resources into something the see as more worthwhile.  The price of gold represent the time and resources originally put in and the amount of time and resources it would take to put in now.  Bit coins cost time and resources to mine, every one that gets mined makes the next one harder to mine so you need more time and resources to get it.

But even given all that G&S bitchslap bitcoin IMHO

I dont buy that for a second... why is each bit coin harder to mine, what are the costs of mining bit coin... answer... my guess... .00001 c   basically nothing, it is only as scarce as they want to make it, they could make one trillion in one second if it served there purposes.

Silver and Gold cost real money to mine, with real resources .. bitcoin is FREE with ZERO resources once the program is written.. ie: some start up cost, virtually no ongoing except managing all the free money the are getting selling nothing to suckers for something. Fiat is at least backed by a govt who declare its worth.

Props to the bitcoins guys for making a product that costs them nothing that they can sell for $20... HAHA to suckers who spend $20 on nothing.

1for1


Bullion is Bullion, Numismatics are Old and Circulated

A huge range of collectibles from cards (trading and post), gems, spoons, cufflinks, stamps, medals, regalia - email me if you are looking
Silver News at Galeforcesales.com

Offline

#4 2012-08-06 13:38:56

scone
Silver Stacker
From: Under Downunder
Registered: 2012-03-16
Posts: 1,535
Trades :   50 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

if your not holding it,  it doesn't exist.

its as good as facebook money

Last edited by scone (2012-08-06 13:39:43)

Online

#5 2012-08-06 13:43:13

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

1for1 wrote:

Silver and Gold cost real money to mine, with real resources .. bitcoin is FREE with ZERO resources once the program is written.. ie: some start up cost, virtually no ongoing except managing all the free money the are getting selling nothing to suckers for something. Fiat is at least backed by a govt who declare its worth.

Props to the bitcoins guys for making a product that costs them nothing that they can sell for $20... HAHA to suckers who spend $20 on nothing.

1for1

It is a free market.. no one forces people to buy Bitcoins... if someone is willing to pay $20 for a bitcoin by my definition a bit coins is worth $20

Over the years, the rewards (currently 50 coins per block) get smaller, and the incentive to mine switches to collecting small transaction fees and keeping the network secure by verifying network transactions. Also over time, the difficulty level of the mathematical problem re-adjusts based on the addition or subtraction of network power. This figure is, for reasons unsure, called "the difficulty level" – which started at 1 and is now 1.89 Million.

In the beginning, miners were able to solve blocks easily with any normal computer. With the difficulty level so low, it was common to produce hundreds or thousands of coins weekly, although they traded at a penny or less each. Since the coins had little value, they were freely given away as tips and experimented with. In May 2010, one miner actually struggled to get someone to send him two pizzas delivered to his door for 10,000 bitcoins, then worth $40. At the recent price of $9/BTC, those coins are now worth $90,000.

Apparently bit coins are mathematically limited to 21million units.

Last edited by thatguy (2012-08-06 13:45:51)


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

#6 2012-08-06 13:43:27

salty lemon
Silver Stacker
From: Melbourne
Registered: 2011-05-16
Posts: 2,872
Trades :   

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.


Versace on feather

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: SilverPhoenix

#7 2012-08-06 13:47:28

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

geewiz wrote:

I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.

Why are people so deliberately confused about such a simple system???  Seriously ppl I do not and have not owned a single bitcoin, but 2 seconds worth of research will prevent you from looking uneducated

Last edited by thatguy (2012-08-06 14:41:26)


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

The following 5 users say thank you for this post: TofuAttack, trav, silvertorrent, Clawhammer, Perth Bullion Company

#8 2012-08-06 13:51:09

1for1
Member++
From: NSW, Australia
Registered: 2011-05-03
Posts: 3,100
Trades :   179 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

thatguy wrote:
geewiz wrote:

I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.

Why are people so deliberately confused about such a simple system???  Seriously ppl I do not and have not owned a single bitcoin, but 2 seconds worth of research will prevent you from looking like a moron


Hi, what costs are involved in producing.. i dont see any legitimate reason why they would be capped at that quantity stated, as they are a law unto themselves with no government backing id assume as profit maximisers.. they will just keep the free money rolling..

These guys remind me of diamond traders.. drip feed the supply and claim scarity.

I have read about all i can.. to me this is worse than a ponzi as no-one benefits except those that PRODUCE the coin (albeit with ZERO overheads)!


Bullion is Bullion, Numismatics are Old and Circulated

A huge range of collectibles from cards (trading and post), gems, spoons, cufflinks, stamps, medals, regalia - email me if you are looking
Silver News at Galeforcesales.com

Offline

#9 2012-08-06 13:53:11

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

1for1 wrote:
thatguy wrote:
geewiz wrote:

I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.

Why are people so deliberately confused about such a simple system???  Seriously ppl I do not and have not owned a single bitcoin, but 2 seconds worth of research will prevent you from looking like a moron


Hi, what costs are involved in producing.. i dont see any legitimate reason why they would be capped at that quantity stated, as they are a law unto themselves with no government backing id assume as profit maximisers.. they will just keep the free money rolling..

These guys remind me of diamond traders.. drip feed the supply and claim scarity.

I have read about all i can.. to me this is worse than a ponzi as no-one benefits except those that PRODUCE the coin (albeit with ZERO overheads)!

Anyone can mine the coins... YOU can mine the coins.  IF YOU think the coins costs 0.00001c to mine, go mine a million and sell the for $20 and go live on some tropical Island in a mansion

Last edited by thatguy (2012-08-06 14:18:32)


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: trav, 1for1, silvertorrent

#10 2012-08-06 13:59:08

grinners
Silver Stacker
From: Australia
Registered: 2011-03-19
Posts: 1,187

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

The cost is running a computer for weeks on end to mine a coin.

The people who criticise BitCoins seem to know the least about it :S

*I do not, nor have ever, owned a single BitCoin, but I think the idea is interesting.

Difficulty
Nakamoto compared the generation of new coins by expending CPU time and electricity to gold miners expending resources to add gold to circulation.[4]. Without a means of limiting production, however, blocks could be generated more and more easily as computing power increased or more clients tried to mine bitcoins. In order to throttle the creation of blocks, the difficulty of generating new blocks is adjusted over time. If mining output increases or decreases, the difficulty increases or decreases accordingly.

The adjustment is done by changing the threshold that a hash is required to be less than[14]. A lower threshold means fewer possible hashes can be accepted, and thus a higher degree of difficulty. The target rate of block generation is one block every 10 minutes, or 2016 blocks every two weeks. Bitcoin changes the difficulty of finding a valid block every 2016 blocks, using the difficulty that would have been most likely to cause the prior 2016 blocks to have taken two weeks to generate, according to the timestamps on the blocks. Technically, this is done by modeling the generation of bitcoins as Poisson process. All nodes perform and enforce the same difficulty calculation.

In addition to the pending transactions confirmed in the block, a generating node adds a generate transaction, which awards new bitcoins to the operator of the node that generated the block. The system sets the payout of this generated transaction according to its defined inflation schedule. The miner that generates a block also receives the fees that users have paid as an incentive to give particular transactions priority for faster confirmation.

Difficulty is intended as an automatic stabilizer allowing mining for bitcoins to remain profitable in the long run for the most efficient miners, independently of the fluctuations in demand of Bitcoin in relation to other currencies.

Proof-of-work problems are especially suitable to GPUs and specialized hardware. Bitcoin users often pool computational effort to increase the stability of the collected fees and subsidy they receive[citation needed].

The network never creates more than 50 BTC per block and this amount will decrease over time towards zero, such that no more than 21 million will ever exist.[15] As this payout decreases, the incentive for users to run block-generating nodes is intended to change to earning transaction fees.

Last edited by grinners (2012-08-06 14:01:41)

Offline

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: trav, 1for1

#11 2012-08-06 14:03:18

1for1
Member++
From: NSW, Australia
Registered: 2011-05-03
Posts: 3,100
Trades :   179 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

Its NOT a commodity, its a paper promise except its not backed by any government.. a private citizen has set up a computer system to cronologically create bit-coins.

I would be VERY interested to see a Cost of production break down for a bit-coin.

Again, i actually think this system would work if the bitcoins were distributed to EVERYONE for FREE in an equitable way... but as its a for profit its a complete con.

Example... SScoin ... every week i send a unique code SScoin to EVERY SINGLE SS member... after 10 weeks we could all have 10 bitcoins.. WE would decide what these SScoins would have as trade/fiar/silver value... every week we would each recieve the same... some people may save, others may spend or trade, eventually there would be enough supply we could trade for whole ounces etc..

In an aggregate way this culd actually work... BIT... only because i am issuing them FREE and disctributing them EQUALLY ... if i kept all of them every week and only SOLD them the system would not be FAIR as its not free.. Also why would someone trust my system when they know im Selling these for profit and you know i have paid nothing for them?

MY point ... this system COULD be AWESOME.. but we would need it to be EVENLY DISTRIBUTED and not backed by a for-profit individual.

1for1

ie: every week

1for1


Bullion is Bullion, Numismatics are Old and Circulated

A huge range of collectibles from cards (trading and post), gems, spoons, cufflinks, stamps, medals, regalia - email me if you are looking
Silver News at Galeforcesales.com

Offline

#12 2012-08-06 14:09:00

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

grinners wrote:

The cost is running a computer for weeks on end to mine a coin.

The people who criticise BitCoins seem to know the least about it :S

*I do not, nor have ever, owned a single BitCoin, but I think the idea is interesting.

Step 1:
Approach IBM and ask them hire this for a day
800px-IBM_Blue_Gene_P_supercomputer.jpg
Step 2:
Hire software engineers to write a decoder to work on the bit coin encryption
Step 3:
Work out how many bitcoins can be mined in the 1 day, work out how much the rent the super computer and the write the program will cost.  Divide one by the other and if lower the what a bitcoins is selling for at the moment proceed
Step 4:
Sell bit coins and pay over heads and invest profit 

OR

buy some 1oz kooks tongue


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

#13 2012-08-06 14:17:41

Agauholic
Member+
From: Australia
Registered: 2010-09-20
Posts: 880
Trades :   

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

1for1 wrote:
thatguy wrote:
geewiz wrote:

I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.

Why are people so deliberately confused about such a simple system???  Seriously ppl I do not and have not owned a single bitcoin, but 2 seconds worth of research will prevent you from looking like a moron

Hi, what costs are involved in producing.. i dont see any legitimate reason why they would be capped at that quantity stated, as they are a law unto themselves with no government backing id assume as profit maximisers.. they will just keep the free money rolling..

These guys remind me of diamond traders.. drip feed the supply and claim scarity.

I have read about all i can.. to me this is worse than a ponzi as no-one benefits except those that PRODUCE the coin (albeit with ZERO overheads)!

Q: Hi, what costs are involved in producing..
A: Calculations, and costs of running equipment to perform them.

Q:  i dont see any legitimate reason why they would be capped at that quantity stated
A: It is embedded into the mathematics... as more hashes are generated it becomes hard to generate them. begin reading https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Block_hashing_algorithm

Q:  as they are a law unto themselves with no government backing id assume as profit maximisers
A: No, it is open. You may calculate your own block-hashes as you wish. anyone is free to. But you will meet economic restrictions, price of energy etc. Wow, thats a neat idea.

Q: I have read about all i can
A: Some of us get past the cover.


thatguy wrote:

    geewiz wrote:

        I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.

    Why are people so deliberately confused about such a simple system???  Seriously ppl I do not and have not owned a single bitcoin, but 2 seconds worth of research will prevent you from looking like a moron

LOL spot on... economic darwinsism perhaps?

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: silvertorrent

#14 2012-08-06 14:17:43

Lovey80
Member++
From: Sunshine Coast, QLD
Registered: 2011-05-09
Posts: 2,170
Trades :   28 

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

Snake oil.

Offline

#15 2012-08-06 14:18:19

salty lemon
Silver Stacker
From: Melbourne
Registered: 2011-05-16
Posts: 2,872
Trades :   

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

thatguy wrote:
geewiz wrote:

I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.

Why are people so deliberately confused about such a simple system???  Seriously ppl I do not and have not owned a single bitcoin, but 2 seconds worth of research will prevent you from looking like a moron

Me moron? You rude!


Versace on feather

Offline

#16 2012-08-06 14:26:54

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

geewiz wrote:
thatguy wrote:
geewiz wrote:

I have SMS coin. Pay me and I'll send you a genuine SMS with numbers and dollar signs in it.

Why are people so deliberately confused about such a simple system???  Seriously ppl I do not and have not owned a single bitcoin, but 2 seconds worth of research will prevent you from looking like a moron

Me moron? You rude!

Sorry I did not mean to be rude.  Again sorry

Last edited by thatguy (2012-08-06 15:03:02)


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: salty lemon

#17 2012-08-06 14:41:46

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker
From: Vic
Registered: 2011-04-26
Posts: 1,350
Trades :   59 

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

BIT of a CON what a ffn joke , at least if I mine gold ive got gold not some worthless peice of bitcon

a sucker born every minute

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: spannermonkey

#18 2012-08-06 14:47:51

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

radiobirdman wrote:

BIT of a CON what a ffn joke , at least if I mine gold ive got gold not some worthless peice of bitcon

a sucker born every minute

chart.png?width=940&m=btcexUSD&SubmitButton=Draw&r=360&i=&c=0&s=&e=&Prev=&Next=&t=S&b=&a1=&m1=10&a2=&m2=25&x=0&i1=&i2=&i3=&i4=&v=1&cv=0&ps=0&l=0&p=0&


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

#19 2012-08-06 14:50:26

RetardedMonkey
Silver Stacker
From: Brisbane, Australia
Registered: 2011-04-13
Posts: 4,085
Trades :   75 

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

thatguy wrote:

Approach IBM and ask them hire this for a day

Blue Gene's are so sexy.

Offline

#20 2012-08-06 15:07:56

spdz
Member
From: Melbourne, Aus
Registered: 2012-07-21
Posts: 46
Trades :   

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

radiobirdman wrote:

BIT of a CON what a ffn joke , at least if I mine gold ive got gold not some worthless peice of bitcon

a sucker born every minute

Bitcoin exchange roughly $10AU, please define 'worthless' in this context?
People are still handing over 'cash' for USD.... wink

Last edited by spdz (2012-08-06 15:22:01)

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: silvertorrent

#21 2012-08-06 15:21:49

spdz
Member
From: Melbourne, Aus
Registered: 2012-07-21
Posts: 46
Trades :   

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

1for1 wrote:

Hi, what costs are involved in producing.. i dont see any legitimate reason why they would be capped at that quantity stated, as they are a law unto themselves with no government backing id assume as profit maximisers.. they will just keep the free money rolling..

These guys remind me of diamond traders.. drip feed the supply and claim scarity.

I have read about all i can.. to me this is worse than a ponzi as no-one benefits except those that PRODUCE the coin (albeit with ZERO overheads)!


Ok, lets go get rich!

25x Quad-Spartan 6 LX150 FPGA Board @ US$950ea (volume pricing) = US$23,750
..gets us 21.5Ghash/sec. By comparison, deepbit.net (distributed mining effort) is currently running 3,455 Gh/s and claiming to have mined 1m coins in its first year.

Current difficulty of 1155038 allows us to 'mine' 18 bitcoin a day / ~$185 a day.
39W of power per unit x25 = 970W plus control system (probably 1000W total). I'll let someone else do the power costing.


Obvious problems - difficulty change, exchange rate crash, power price hike, hacks....

Offline

#22 2012-08-06 15:46:44

1for1
Member++
From: NSW, Australia
Registered: 2011-05-03
Posts: 3,100
Trades :   179 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

What a Crock of Schitt

If you cant dazzle them with Brilliance, Baffle them with BS...

THere is no reason youd need anything other than your mummas laptop... All i am hearing is hollow strawman shout em down arguments... "the science has been confirmed" the talk is over its legit.. it must be because they use a super computer "calculated Algorithm" to incrementally increase the supply.. like this is a reason to pay for something that has no value... i doubt "there complex" method of feeding the public an electronic coin would fool many when a simply time release would do the same thing.. im sorry but mining for gold has real costs... no ones that are just on papaer to make there scheme seem like something its not.. a finite commodity with actual properties making it useful as a monetray alternative,


things it is not.

1for1


Bullion is Bullion, Numismatics are Old and Circulated

A huge range of collectibles from cards (trading and post), gems, spoons, cufflinks, stamps, medals, regalia - email me if you are looking
Silver News at Galeforcesales.com

Offline

#23 2012-08-06 15:51:06

bron suchecki
Silver Stacker
From: Perth, Western Australia
Registered: 2009-07-10
Posts: 1,099
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

1for1 wrote:

Hi, what costs are involved in producing.. i dont see any legitimate reason why they would be capped at that quantity stated, as they are a law unto themselves with no government backing id assume as profit maximisers.. they will just keep the free money rolling..

These guys remind me of diamond traders.. drip feed the supply and claim scarity.

I have read about all i can.. to me this is worse than a ponzi as no-one benefits except those that PRODUCE the coin (albeit with ZERO overheads)!

You clearly have not read all about it. There are no "these guys" who issue bitcoins (it is a peer to peer system), there are legitimate hard cash costs to the transaction validation process (which "produces" bitcoins) and the maximum limit of bitcoins that can ever be produced is hard coded into the mathematics.

I don't have any problem with those aspects and think it is a very smart design. The issues I have are:

1. all transactions are visible, so you have to use randomising services to mix up bitcoin addresses
2. you have extra risks trying to secure your bitcoin "files" from loss
3. because the costs of validation are high it seems this is becoming limited to "miners" who have the big dollars to set up the hardware, which means over time you may well end up with a limited number of these validators, who then effectively "own" the system and if enough of them with a majority of processing power agree with each other, they can change the rules (and thus I assume the max number of bitcoins).
4. Is electronic, relying on the internet and electricity, without either you can't spend bitcoins.

The first two points I see as a turnoff for average people. There is a tradeoff between ease of use and security/robustness. Unfortunately average person wants ease of use.


Disclosure: I work for the Perth Mint. What I say is done in a personal capacity and is not endorsed by the Mint.

Offline

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: thatguy, hiho, 1for1

#24 2012-08-06 15:55:23

LTEK4NZ
Silver Stacker
From: Perth WA
Registered: 2011-07-14
Posts: 736
Trades :   31 

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

spdz wrote:
1for1 wrote:

Hi, what costs are involved in producing.. i dont see any legitimate reason why they would be capped at that quantity stated, as they are a law unto themselves with no government backing id assume as profit maximisers.. they will just keep the free money rolling..

These guys remind me of diamond traders.. drip feed the supply and claim scarity.

I have read about all i can.. to me this is worse than a ponzi as no-one benefits except those that PRODUCE the coin (albeit with ZERO overheads)!


Ok, lets go get rich!

25x Quad-Spartan 6 LX150 FPGA Board @ US$950ea (volume pricing) = US$23,750
..gets us 21.5Ghash/sec. By comparison, deepbit.net (distributed mining effort) is currently running 3,455 Gh/s and claiming to have mined 1m coins in its first year.

Current difficulty of 1155038 allows us to 'mine' 18 bitcoin a day / ~$185 a day.
39W of power per unit x25 = 970W plus control system (probably 1000W total). I'll let someone else do the power costing.


Obvious problems - difficulty change, exchange rate crash, power price hike, hacks....

and once you've set the system up. you hope you can live off it.
or you can go get a real job and earn real AUD which you then exchange for REAL food and Ag / Au as you see fit.
or you do both at the same time and have a nice little win lose project on your computer system.


SILVER IS SILVER
GOLD IS GOLD
SILVER IS MONEY

Offline

#25 2012-08-06 16:06:12

thatguy
Member+++
From: Brisbane
Registered: 2011-01-18
Posts: 5,642
Trades :   27 
Website

Re: BITCON... WHY its totally FLAWED

bron suchecki wrote:

3. because the costs of validation are high it seems this is becoming limited to "miners" who have the big dollars to set up the hardware, which means over time you may well end up with a limited number of these validators, who then effectively "own" the system and if enough of them with a majority of processing power agree with each other, they can change the rules (and thus I assume the max number of bitcoins).

Currency with Finite Supply
Number of bitcoins over time
Bitcoins are created each time a user discovers a new block. The rate of block creation is approximately constant over time: 6 per hour. The number of Bitcoins generated per block is set to decrease geometrically, with a 50% reduction every 4 years. The result is that the number of Bitcoins in existence will never exceed 21 million[1]. This algorithm was chosen because it approximates the rate at which commodities like gold are mined. Users who use their computers to perform calculations to try and discover a block are thus called Miners.

740px-Total_bitcoins_over_time_graph.png
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_Currency_Supply
From what I have read it would not be possible

Deflation
Because the monetary base of Bitcoins cannot be expanded, the currency would be subject to severe deflation if it becomes widely used. Keynesian economists argue that deflation is bad for an economy because it incentivises individuals and businesses to save money rather than invest in businesses and create jobs. The Austrian school of thought counters this criticism, claiming that as deflation occurs in all stages of production, entrepreneurs who invest benefit from it. As a result, profit ratios tend to stay the same and only their magnitudes change. In other words, in a deflationary environment, goods and services decrease in price, but at the same time the cost for the production of these goods and services tend to decrease proportionally, effectively not affecting profits. Price deflation encourages an increase in hoarding - hence savings - which in turn tends to lower interest rates and increase the incentive for entrepreneurs to invest in projects of longer term.

Kick Keynes where it hurts.  Still prefer G&S but when bitcoins crash again I may be tempted smile


I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB