Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will open again next Wednesday.

#51 2012-01-23 20:10:28

goldpelican
Administrator
Trades :   153 
Website

Re: Today I found (while detecting)...

If the 305 is anywhere near the 705 in terms of functionality (Minelab is a bit like Apple, they incrementally release functionality in each model, they're generally not mind blowingly different) then it's a great machine for the price.

My posts on Silver Stackers are either personal opinion or acting in the capacity of site administrator. Opinions offered do not constitute professional or financial advice.

#52 2012-01-23 20:38:00

auspm
Banned

The 705 is a lot more adaptable and has a lot more functionality.  You really do get what you pay for concerning coin and relic machines when it comes to minelab.  The 305 is two models above mine, 2 models below the 705.  It's a good beginners' machine and excellent bang for buck to get you going.

The next step up from the 305 (once you've mastered it) would likely be the 705 or if the cashflow allows, the Sov GT or even the Etrac.

But to start with, the 305 is an excellent model to get you in the game and definitely my recommendation for anyone wanting to try detecting for coins & relics, but doesn't want to drop a large amount of cash straight up.

#53 2012-01-23 23:09:35

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker
Trades :   62 

Yesterday one of my prospecting mates had a day off work, so he rang and asked if I wanted to go out for a look around. We decided to try a couple of places we hadnt been to before so had no idea what we might find.

The places we tried had very few target signals. The areas had been "done to death" by many prospectors and detectorists over the years. In 2 and a half hours of prospecting I only got 5 target signals.

Fortunately for me 3 of them were Gold nuggets.

2939_dscf7136.jpg

The biggest weighs 1.11 grams. The two "bridesmaids" weigh 0.30 and 0.25 grams.

Disclosure:  Sheep are silly baaaaastards. 

#54 2012-01-24 00:51:56

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny
Trades :   31 

awesome....

The lunar tiger got out of the cage, man.

#55 2012-01-24 01:05:35

Nedsnotdead
Silver Stacker

Just Curious Ureka. What is the size of the largest nugget you have ever found? And what's it worth roughly?

#56 2012-01-24 04:25:26

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Nedsnotdead wrote:

Just Curious Ureka. What is the size of the largest nugget you have ever found? And what's it worth roughly?

My largest piece found is a gold/quartz combination that weighs 8.4 grams. The specific gravity of gold is around 7.4 times higher than quartz so there is more than 7 grams of gold in it.

Some people only hunt for large nuggets. This is the right thing to do where they are (still) present and the terrain and conditions allow. The areas I frequent generally only have small nuggets left, so that is what I chase.

A mate of mine has found 13 ounces of nuggets in the past 18 months, he also works full-time. His skill far outweighs mine. None are larger than 8 grams but getting a gram or 2 every time out can add up to a valuable stash.The average size of our finds is only around 0.15 grams, but we rarely come home empty handed.

Small, regular finds help your motivation and give you a reason to keep having a crack.

The "worth" of any of my finds is only relevant to me when I sell any of them. The buzz I get when I dig up a nugget of any size is priceless.

Last edited by Eureka Moments (2012-01-24 09:06:53)

The following 4 users say thank you for this post: PowPowCombo, Nedsnotdead, rbaggio, Marty

#57 2012-02-02 22:53:29

Sargeant Argent
Trades :   

So what's up lately guys? Keep this thread going this is the best in a while!

#58 2012-02-02 23:57:53

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Sargeant Argent wrote:

So what's up lately guys? Keep this thread going this is the best in a while!

Hasnt been the best conditions for gold hunting around here lately. Hot weather and lots of biting critters like mosquitos, flies and ants.

Dont know what the park and beach hunters have been doing. Most likely too busy doing other things?

How about you Sarge? Do you do any prospecting at all?

#59 2012-02-03 00:18:00

skipau
Silver Stacker
Trades :   49 

question all... I wondered in regards to gloves and stuff what you are using?

I just have some kinda work gloves... but they aren't really going to save me from a needle or anything I don't think.... more so protection from ants and the likes.

I am still only a one hit wonder.. only having gone out once.. then bloody weeks stuck painting bathrooms and kicking out bad tenants! so I am looking forward to going for a run this weekend... after that I am into the valentines day and wedding anniversary the week after so no chance to go out then!

#60 2012-02-03 02:17:05

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

skipau wrote:

I just have some kinda work gloves... but they aren't really going to save me from a needle or anything I don't think.... more so protection from ants and the likes.

I am still only a one hit wonder.. only having gone out once.. then bloody weeks stuck painting bathrooms and kicking out bad tenants! so I am looking forward to going for a run this weekend... after that I am into the valentines day and wedding anniversary the week after so no chance to go out then!

I used to work at a hospital. There were needle-proof gloves worn by some of the cleaners there. Cost well over $100. I have a high-power magnet stuck in the handle of my pick for picking up ferrous objects. Luckily theres no junkies where I prospect, but it pays to be careful.

Not such deadly critters in Vic. as other States. Bullants, centipedes, small spiders maybe a scorpian are the main worries.

Avagoodweekend....dont forget the Aerogard.

Last edited by Eureka Moments (2012-02-03 07:27:52)

#61 2012-02-03 03:06:27

auspm
Banned

skipau wrote:

For the park scene I use :

HiFlex_gloves_tvc.gif

http://www.helpmeclean.com.au/ansell_hyflex.htm

Less than $10 a pair from Coles and you'll get many hunts out of them. 

Highly recommended if you're doing the suburban detecting scene

Last edited by auspm (2012-02-03 03:07:35)

The following user says thank you for this post: Eureka Moments

#62 2012-02-03 03:16:43

Sargeant Argent
Trades :   

I gotta a pan recently but have only been out once. I didn't find anything, Gonna try some different spots in the spring when it isn't so cold!

Last edited by Sargeant Argent (2012-02-03 03:19:00)

The following user says thank you for this post: Eureka Moments

#63 2012-02-03 07:36:23

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Most of the time I wear gumboots. They can be a bit uncomfortable but are great safety against most critters...except maybe crocodiles.

If theres a lot of ants around I spray insect killer surface spray on my gumbys. They soon lose interest in climbing your leg. Spray your holes and wait a minute before you stick your hand in if you are extra worried about nasties.

#64 2012-02-03 08:39:10

SilverSanchez
Trades :   30 

big_smile I love thios thread - since i was a kid i wanted a metal detector - im saving up at the moment for one - cant wait to post my first 1960s matchbox car find and plethora of assorted ring pulls and rivets smile

1 Peter 1
If you call on the Father, He judges without partiality, according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot

#65 2012-02-04 04:48:26

Butch
Silver Stacker
Trades :   17 

SilverSanchez wrote:

big_smile I love thios thread - since i was a kid i wanted a metal detector - im saving up at the moment for one - cant wait to post my first 1960s matchbox car find and plethora of assorted ring pulls and rivets smile

Sanchez, did we disturb your rock. Sorry! roll

I am smiling.

#66 2012-02-04 04:56:50

Au-mageddon

SilverSanchez wrote:

+++++1

I have the sneaking suspicion that was just sarcasm tongue

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Trading stats disabled (but available upon request), with over 55 trades (all green) made with other Silver Stackers.

#67 2012-02-04 05:24:22

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Au-mageddon wrote:
SilverSanchez wrote:

+++++1

I have the sneaking suspicion that was just sarcasm tongue

SilverSanchez is a big PM fan from what Ive seen. I reckon he might be keen on hunting better quality metals like gold perhaps. wink

#68 2012-02-04 05:30:40

purgatori
Trades :   34 

hers some of my silver coin finds from last year
june to december[img][/img]
Source: 271_silver_finds1.jpg

The following 5 users say thank you for this post: Naphthalene Man, rbaggio, Eureka Moments, SilverPhoenix, R1dh0

#69 2012-02-04 05:36:27

purgatori

and one more271_relics_1.jpg

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Eureka Moments, silverstar1

#70 2012-02-04 05:41:12

auspm
Banned

Lurrrrvley finds mate.  Still dunno where you're managing to get all the damn silvers though, the bastards are so elusive here in Suburban Sydney dammit! wink

I can't remember mate, do you use an Etrac at all?

I desperately want one, but can't really afford it right now hmm

#71 2012-02-04 05:43:22

purgatori

i use a garret at pro international im upto 56 silver coin this year already smile

#72 2012-02-04 05:59:59

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

purgatori wrote:

i use a garret at pro international im upto 56 silver coin this year already smile

Excellent work there.

#73 2012-02-04 06:02:35

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

I dont mind hearing about people finding junk. Detecting can be a hit and miss hobby and some days you dont get results. You can still learn from the rubbish you find. Digging everything can be time consuming but can be worth it in the right spots.

I try to find old rubbish. The older the rubbish the better your chances of finding things of value. Old square nails, old bullets and even lumps of rusty crap that you cant identify can mean there may be other, better unfound treasure as well.

If your in a park and you only get modern stuff then concentrate on $1 and $2 coins. If you find any old buttons or bits and pieces there may be some good older coins and stuff as well. Tailor your search to suit.

Looking for gold is similar. The older the junk and the more there is the better your chances of finding gold (if you are on gold bearing ground). Old black rum bottles are a great indicator of 19th century mining activity and if you see any that is a good spot to try and find a nugget or two.

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: lucky luke, SilverPhoenix, House

#74 2012-02-04 06:29:41

goldpelican
Administrator
Trades :   153 
Website

$6.40 in the park this afternoon. Was like the frikking pied piper - couldn't get kids to piss off. I would pinpoint a target and about six hands would dive in trying to dig it up. Caused some arguments over 5c pieces!

My posts on Silver Stackers are either personal opinion or acting in the capacity of site administrator. Opinions offered do not constitute professional or financial advice.

Board footer