Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will open again next Wednesday.

#26 2012-01-18 20:54:23

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny
Trades :   31 

Re: Today I found (while detecting)...

Great photos... smile

The lunar tiger got out of the cage, man.

The following user says thank you for this post: Eureka Moments

#27 2012-01-19 00:00:14

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker
Trades :   62 

2939_dscf7093.jpg

These 2 nuggets have been weathered into round balls by Mother Nature.

I took the foam padding out of a small display case and inserted a piece of cardboard with 2 small holes in it.

Now I have a puzzle which has provided a lot of entertainment to both myself and family and friends. Its a great party game to see who can get the balls in the holes the quickest. Particularly tricky when you have had a few drinks.

2939_dscf7095.jpg

And some people reckon Gold is a useless and inanimate object!? smile

Last edited by Eureka Moments (2012-01-19 00:00:47)

Disclosure:  Sheep are silly baaaaastards. 

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: SilverPhoenix, auspm, Dynoman

#28 2012-01-19 04:54:41

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Today while detecting on the beach... I found about 4 Bobby pins, a bit of an aluminium can and a sinker with two swivels and two fish hooks attached. The missus found a dollar coin..and she didn't even have a detector! Ha!

... I'm thinking to hit the park where the tables and chairs are.. Picked up some signals there.

Last edited by PrettyPrettyShinyShiny (2012-01-19 04:58:22)

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Eureka Moments, SilverMark

#29 2012-01-19 04:56:51

Naphthalene Man
Silver Stacker
Trades :   101 

did you mean aboat?

''Up ahead they's a thousand' lives we might live, but when it comes, it'll only be one''
- Ma in John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath.

#30 2012-01-19 08:20:51

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny wrote:

Today while detecting on the beach... I found about 4 Bobby pins, a bit of an aluminium can and a sinker with two swivels and two fish hooks attached. The missus found a dollar coin..and she didn't even have a detector! Ha!

... I'm thinking to hit the park where the tables and chairs are.. Picked up some signals there.

You win post of the day PPSS.

Ive spilled me can of JW reading your missus got the prize of find of the day. You poor bastard. smile

Its bad enough when someone detecting next to you gets a nice find and your right nearby. And your thinking "I was just about to do that spot. Bugger." But when youve got the rig and your doing the swing thing and your missus just goes and snatches a dollar of the surface is an image I can totally relate to.

You better get some winners next time out or she will be lording it over you. smile

#31 2012-01-19 08:37:36

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Apart from that PPSS im rapt to hear your results. (got normal cap back on now).

Hows the snoop going? Are your finds very deep or mainly near the surface?

When I started out I dug all sorts of things for the first six months. I used to try and predict what an object would be based on the type of signal and its pitch. Different metals give different signal tone responses, but the shape and size also plays a large part as well. also the way an object is laying in a hole can create different to normal responses.

Keep plugging away. The more you go at it the more rewarding it can be. You and the missus sound like your having some fun.

Beach, sun and treasure = feel the serenity.

#32 2012-01-19 16:57:40

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Eureka Moments wrote:

Apart from that PPSS im rapt to hear your results. (got normal cap back on now).

Hows the snoop going? Are your finds very deep or mainly near the surface?

When I started out I dug all sorts of things for the first six months. I used to try and predict what an object would be based on the type of signal and its pitch. Different metals give different signal tone responses, but the shape and size also plays a large part as well. also the way an object is laying in a hole can create different to normal responses.

Keep plugging away. The more you go at it the more rewarding it can be. You and the missus sound like your having some fun.

I had a giggle to here that you enjoyed my misses finding that dollar..damnit. I asked her if it was going in our 'treasure pile' and she said well it's not really treasure (i think she was alluding to the fact it was on the surface..and she wanted to spend it haha). We both pretty much agreed that anothing of value we would keep in our treasure pile indefinitely as it was the physical evidence of our labours searching. I think I'll get a little treasure chest to put the goodies in at some point.

Haha yeah all is going well. Last night I was 'snooping' along the grass near Port Kembla pool which is right next to the beach and the guy came out and politely told me he'd prefer if I didnt dig up the grass. I explained how I had dug the holes out as plugs and they fit back in nicely, but promised him I wouldn't dig any more. I have a feeling there was just a lot of nails, bottle caps and junk there as the holes I had dug were mainly those things (including chip wrappers)

The snoop is a pretty good little machine - especially for fast scanning of the beach. It's very light and at the beach you can quickly and easily dig up every target. The deepest I went was about 15-20cm when I dug up the match box car from under the grass/dirt. I thought that was a very cool find.

Still getting the hang of trying to discriminate.. but those foil tops from juice bottles show up as gold (highest setting on discrimination) and that's a pain because you start second guessing yourself.

I'm stuck between digging everything and being thorough (in parks, that is) and not wanting to dig so many holes (even though I cut them properly..they are still ever so noticeable)

The following user says thank you for this post: Eureka Moments

#33 2012-01-19 17:00:36

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

Eureka Moments wrote:

Serenity indeed. I'll be going out tomorrow morning when I go back home. I'll post more results tomorrow. Hopefully I can find my decent camera and cord and get some decent photos up.

#34 2012-01-20 04:43:29

SilverSurfer77
Silver Stacker
Trades :   194 

Eureka Moments wrote:

http://forums.silverstackers.com/upload … cf7093.jpg

These 2 nuggets have been weathered into round balls by Mother Nature.

I took the foam padding out of a small display case and inserted a piece of cardboard with 2 small holes in it.

Now I have a puzzle which has provided a lot of entertainment to both myself and family and friends. Its a great party game to see who can get the balls in the holes the quickest. Particularly tricky when you have had a few drinks.

http://forums.silverstackers.com/upload … cf7095.jpg

And some people reckon Gold is a useless and inanimate object!? smile

Looks like gold panda poo !!  smile

Silver!!!!! Get it while you can

#35 2012-01-20 07:50:27

Philski
Trades :   41 
Website

My first real detector gold nugget find was eventually made into our wedding rings. Its a wonderful feeling finding it. in an old workings that looks just like Eureka Moments. Awesome hematite you get too. Mine was at Bell Mountain in Moina, Tas. a 22 oz nugget was the biggest in its day.

I lost 20% of my hearing with that detector too, I got a minelab XT1700 of a deaf guy down south with a boost button and hit a lump of iron. It sent me to my knees. An old pick head from the 1890's with a dumpy hammer on the back. A very good find regardless. But still deafening

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Austacker, perthsilver

#36 2012-01-22 03:50:31

auspm
Banned

Went for a swing today - hit a couple parks.

2595_p1010886.jpg
2 x Penny & $24.43 in moderns

2595_p1010887.jpg
Junk trinket

2595_p1010888.jpg
Gun shell?  Huge bugger smile

2595_p1010891.jpg
The REAL treasure from the hunt... wink

Not a bad result on moderns, but I go out of my way to try and find the older stuff.  Hit 3 different parks this arvo, but didn't have much luck unfortunately on finding a good pre-decimal hunting ground.

(Pro-tip : if you're swinging and DON'T find any 1c and 2c coins, chances are you're not going to find any earlier coppers or silvers either) hmm

I'm still on the lookout for a new pre-decimal hunting pit!  More research!!! wink

#37 2012-01-22 03:59:21

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny

...nice effort! I went out to Redhead beach and found a million bobby pins and trash as well as an old skeleton key and a cheap non-pm earring. big_smile

#38 2012-01-22 09:00:14

skipau
Silver Stacker
Trades :   49 

nice haul ozpm!

#39 2012-01-22 09:13:39

skipau
Silver Stacker

ok.. took my new baby for a try yesterday afternoon along small local beach.. well actually first I hit up the back yard to give it a bit of test... then it was off to the beach..

still trying to work it out.. but we did dig up a couple of things! 22 cents! woo hoo!

Have a LOT to learn that is for sure...

2742_untitledfinds.jpg

Last edited by skipau (2012-01-22 09:20:42)

#40 2012-01-22 09:18:01

goldpelican
Administrator
Trades :   153 
Website

auspm, that casing looks like it has an unfired primer in it - should be safe but don't go tossing it in any fires.

What are the dimensions on it?

My posts on Silver Stackers are either personal opinion or acting in the capacity of site administrator. Opinions offered do not constitute professional or financial advice.

#41 2012-01-22 10:39:45

Aureus
Silver Stacker

skipau wrote:

ok.. took my new baby for a try yesterday afternoon along small local beach.. well actually first I hit up the back yard to give it a bit of test... then it was off to the beach..

still trying to work it out.. but we did dig up a couple of things! 22 cents! woo hoo!

http://forums.silverstackers.com/upload … dfinds.jpg

Some people will tell ya to learn your machine and only dig what sounds good but there are those (like me) that dig up everything, regardless of how it sounds. I have got allot of good stuff digging what my mates dismissed as junk.

On the bright side, looks like you dug up some copper - the poor mans silver smile

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

#42 2012-01-22 17:03:40

auspm
Banned

goldpelican wrote:

auspm, that casing looks like it has an unfired primer in it - should be safe but don't go tossing it in any fires.

What are the dimensions on it?

fkn big smile

I already tossed it, so didn't think to take a snap with something else for scale (my bad).  It was as long as your pinkie, even broken off and the base as big as a thumb nail.  I don't think it was a conventional firearm round, looks almost like a 50mm round by the size of the thing!

Whilst there's areas of Sydney where the local suburban parks were taken over by the military during the war for stationing and training, this little beauty was found only about 6" down and I get the distinct feeling it was brought into the park by a kid or something as a souvenir and dropped rather than dropped during exercises.  I've done a broader sweep around where I found the shell and this place comes up pretty dry other than this find.

Still, it's always interesting when you go metal detecting, you just never know what you're going to get.  That thing rang up the same as a penny!

#43 2012-01-22 17:14:54

auspm
Banned

skipau wrote:

Learning your machine is half the fun.

My very first hunt was this :

2595_ep01-21-09-2011-01.jpg

Very modest, but this was 24 hours after I got my first unit. smile

Keep working with it and experience will teach you a lot!  I had to learn purely from experience, youtube and asking questions of other detectorists but since my particular unit is so 'old', it was hard to find people to talk to about it.

#44 2012-01-22 17:32:31

goldpelican
Administrator
Website

Probably a 7-8mm calibre - it's a belted centrefire rifle cartridge. Not sure of the exact calibre.

My posts on Silver Stackers are either personal opinion or acting in the capacity of site administrator. Opinions offered do not constitute professional or financial advice.

#45 2012-01-22 18:16:29

auspm
Banned

goldpelican wrote:

Probably a 7-8mm calibre - it's a belted centrefire rifle cartridge. Not sure of the exact calibre.

Yep, I had someone on another forum have the same theory about it.

How it ended up in a suburban park though... unfired like that... hmm

#46 2012-01-22 18:23:13

goldpelican
Administrator
Website

Was probably dropped.

Sydney was much more sparse in the 1940s - I remember my grandfather had a neighbour in Peakhurst who used to zero the sights on a hunting rifle (probably an old 303) by setting a target up down the end of the street in the 1930s.

Different times.

#47 2012-01-23 08:27:43

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

skipau wrote:

http://forums.silverstackers.com/upload … dfinds.jpg

What detector are you using?

#48 2012-01-23 08:53:50

SilverSanchez
Trades :   30 

Sorry guys im sure everyone has asked this question on this thread but - what does a good metal detector cost, what is a good brand - are there specified ones tuned differently - or is it just about ground penetration?
PM me if you have any replies

1 Peter 1
If you call on the Father, He judges without partiality, according to each one's work, conduct yourselves throughout the time of your stay here in fear; knowing that you were not redeemed with corruptible things, like silver or gold, from your aimless conduct received by tradition from your fathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot

#49 2012-01-23 08:57:36

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

SilverSanchez wrote:

Sorry guys im sure everyone has asked this question on this thread but - what does a good metal detector cost, what is a good brand - are there specified ones tuned differently - or is it just about ground penetration?
PM me if you have any replies

http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … ector.html

The following user says thank you for this post: SilverSanchez

#50 2012-01-23 17:59:14

skipau
Silver Stacker

I bought the entry level Minelab - X-terra 305. Looking forward to giving it its second run. Can't give any real feedback on it yet as still have no idea! smile

Board footer