Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is temporarily disabled due to a spam attack.

#51 2011-10-09 01:10:04

yennus
Silver Stacker
Trades :   431 
Website

Re: [PR] Why Pandas Are A Good/Better/Best Investment

Aaaah... passive Pandas... smile sweet smile

#52 2011-10-09 01:58:29

940palmtx
Trades :   

mfm wrote:
yennus wrote:

All dealers aren't expected to buy back silver coins, and it may have nothing to do with 'counterfeiting' - but rather, they just don't buy silver.

I think counterfeiting was mentioned atleast in the shopping video, but I could be wrong. Still they are less liquid than gold pandas.

While not in the PRC, Bank of China HK trades in gold pandas, silver bars and silver maples, but not silver pandas...

And of course anyone questioning anything in this thread must have "pandaphobia", that must be why I bought a bunch of silver pandas in the last weeks, and bought two 1oz gold pandas today...

Pictures next to a newspaper or it didn't happen wink

#53 2011-11-13 10:32:34

Javacoffee
Trades :   

#54 2012-03-04 00:25:18

DoolBrevlis
Trades :   

Pandas IMO display the finest quality artwork you can find in a coin, period.
I own only one, a 2011 ANACS ms70. I restrict myself to buy my silver at my lcs in the USA and these coins are seldom found where I'm at.
Last December I found a deal I could not pass up, as I couldn't afford it at the time. I bought anyway and I will never regret it.

Here is what I got:
17 1oz coins, all ms70...
5 ASEs, including one SF minted and one first release
4 kooks
2 koalas
2 canada cougars
1 grizzly
1 britania
1 year of the rabbit (another beauty and one of my favs)
1 panda

They came in a nice case too. I paid $700 for them. I would have paid more if required, as I stated, very rare coins for me to find.

The following user says thank you for this post: yennus

#55 2012-03-05 01:32:16

comeaux
Silver Stacker
Trades :   23 

Looks like a pretty good start for you bro, nice variety ... congrats !

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing"

#56 2012-03-05 12:48:33

heyimderrick
Trades :   86 
Website

DoolBrevlis wrote:

Here is what I got:
17 1oz coins, all ms70...
5 ASEs, including one SF minted and one first release
4 kooks
2 koalas
2 canada cougars
1 grizzly
1 britania
1 year of the rabbit (another beauty and one of my favs)
1 panda

You bought a zoo. tongue

#57 2012-08-19 13:34:21

TsutoyaRei
Trades :   

I love panda coins, they're fabulous. But the massive counterfeiting made me worried. I only buy those with PCGS/NGC. At least they have more chance to be genuine.

#58 2012-08-21 18:19:52

pandamonium
Trades :   

My prediction is the panda will be the world's #1 demand coin.   If possible, now is a good time to purchase the early years 1980's to 1990's as their mintage and surviving population is lower.    Buy them graded (NGC & PCGS) or from the best sellers raw.   As bullion breaks out panda prices should jump.  The more people collect bullion, the more they will want to move up to the next level.  You do not want to watch the market go up w/ empty panda pockets.  Higher future demand and lower future supply. Panda prices will become crazy.  Buy them now! .....................

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: Lightsview, yennus, Thor122

#59 2012-08-29 01:08:59

mowirr
Trades :   

pandamonium wrote:

My prediction is the panda will be the world's #1 demand coin.   If possible, now is a good time to purchase the early years 1980's to 1990's as their mintage and surviving population is lower.    Buy them graded (NGC & PCGS) or from the best sellers raw.   As bullion breaks out panda prices should jump.  The more people collect bullion, the more they will want to move up to the next level.  You do not want to watch the market go up w/ empty panda pockets.  Higher future demand and lower future supply. Panda prices will become crazy.  Buy them now! .....................

I'm slowly getting infected by this Pandavirus. When I first started to buy bullion I only bought the cheapest BU I could get my hands on, i.e. Maples, Noahs Arks and Philharmonics. After my first 500Oz I started to appreciate the beautiful coins coming out from some of the Mints. First it was Kookas, then came Lunars followed by RCM Wildlife series, Takus and last but not least Pandas. I feel many stackers follow this evolution.

For the near future I will keep stacking some re-minted Kookas but also starting to collect Pandas. Pandas are beautiful, intriguing and a great way to waste some time. :)

#60 2012-08-29 01:27:48

mowirr
Trades :   

pandamonium wrote:

I'm slowly getting infected by this Pandavirus. When I first started to buy bullion I only bought the cheapest BU I could get my hands on, i.e. Maples, Noahs Arks and Philharmonics. After my first 500Oz I started to appreciate the beautiful coins coming out from some of the Mints. First it was Kookas, then came Lunar IIs followed by RCM Wildlife series, Britannias, Takus and last but not least Pandas. I feel many stackers follow this evolution.

For the near future I will keep stacking some re-minted Kookas but also starting to collect Pandas. Pandas are beautiful, intriguing and a great way to waste some time. :)

The following user says thank you for this post: jc888888888

#61 2012-08-31 16:41:04

pandamonium
Trades :   

Bullion is breaking out a bit.  This will change panda prices too.  I started buying bullion, then (4) 9 maples, junk silver, others.  Finally got hooked on silver pandas and started collecting 1 1/2 yrs ago.  Did the research,  sold most of my stuff and bought some good coins.  I like the 3.3 oz, 5 oz, and 12 oz silvers now.   The nearly year long down prices for pandas is over.  Expect lower supply too.  An Administrator, for CCF, Chinese Coin Forum, has a ebay sale ending on Sunday.  Here is one of the most wanted 5 oz  ebay # 130757517683     That should link you to his sale, one of many.   Prices are not dropping.  Consider buying soon...................

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Thor122, yennus

#62 2012-10-10 19:51:56

SydneySilver
Trades :   25 

Wonderful thread! Thank you very much!
I think my next purchase will be some pandas.

#63 2012-10-25 23:51:00

gcsun
Trade awaiting resolution
Trades :   14 

Any tips for determining whether a panda is fake or real?

#64 2012-10-26 01:09:39

Austacker
Trades :   56 
Website

The one thing everyone is forgetting is that all anyone here is doing is presenting data and information. You all need to make your own decisions on the source, trust and viability. If you just rely on a word or A person or clip or whatever then, that is your choice.

I say "even" IF someone does have an agenda, so what who doesn't. It then comes back to your decision. If you decide to go in blind that is your choice. If you decide after all of your research still not to go in that again is fine as well. I don't recall anyone holding a gun to someone's head and saying you must buy this.

I must say that to single out an individual who has offered up information for FREE, researched and backed up. With a quality product to match was not right, nor was it justified. However I don't believe the intention was that way, well I hope not. If you have any doubt about the quality just have a look at the quantity returns of OMP bears returning a MS69/MS70 grades purchased from this forum from a few sellers. Plus I have never, ever, ever had one push from this person to buy a product, not once. Just further information, details and definitely no pressure.

That to me says no one has an agenda. You purchase when you are happy to purchase. If you felt your dealings with this person was different and you were pressured and misled. You should take that up, however I am not sure if you have ever purchased anything from him either ? If you don't want Panda's as he said, he has a lot of ASE's to move at a good price. Give it a go good service and a great guy. Not dissing or wanting to bring up old mud BTW. 

I have made my decision, wrong, right or stupid who knows. I will tell you how it goes in a few years. However this was my decision based on information I have. I have no one to blame or point the finger at, bar me. However if it goes half as good as planned I know I will have a few key people to thank.

Keep the information flowing for all to make their own decisions. Oops Sorry I may have an agenda to sell my rare panda's now big_smile

#65 2012-10-26 01:24:43

yennus
Silver Stacker
Trades :   431 
Website

gcsun wrote:

Ask in this section: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … andas.html

#66 2014-04-11 12:22:20

chrissilver
Silver Stacker
Trades :   
Website

Thanks for this thread. Very interesting. I have been stacking more in favour of the kooks as they have lower mintages, but I do see that previous year Pandas, even with their ridiculously high mintage are doing quite well.

So now I think it is time to start stacking some pandas as well smile As soon as I have saved up some monies I am going to start filling up some air-tit tubes with lovely Pandas smile

I am not going to stop stacking Perth Mint coins. And the majority of my stack will still be Perth Mint. But I think it's wise to add a few Pandas in there too. smile

Pandas are also some of the most beautiful coins in my opinion. Which will always help demand in the future.

From the other forum: www.thesilverforum.com

#67 2014-12-31 01:49:09

AnnieSOhara
Trades :   

According to me panda is a good investment, pandas are also having the ups and downs like other investment. From last two years I have seen that it is best and profitable to invest in panda coins.

#68 2015-05-12 23:15:37

hihosilveraway
Trades :   

I avoided buying silver pandas due to the counterfeits out there. Bought a double sealed 2010 panda in FL at a coin shop only to find out it's a damned good counterfeit.  Only found out by doing research on panda-feits.  But now I am keeping it alongside a genuine 2010 silver panda, to show to coin shop dealers...no one can tell the difference even with eye magnifiers.  What got me started 18 months ago buying silver pandas were some strokes of luck: a 1990 small date at an antique mall for $40, a 1989 at a coin shop in Pittsburgh for $60, a 1991 large date at a local coin shop for $60 and a 2000 frosted panda at another coin shop for $50.  I also got a 1993 three-coin set (mint, proof, and copper panda) for $200 at an jewelry store in my neighborhood, probably an estate sale item.  At any rate, I decided at that point to get these pandas certified by NGC.  Fortunately, my local coin shop dealer offers to ship to NGC for about $18 per silver panda.  The amazing thing was that all these pandas came back MS69 except for the 1993 proof at MS68 and the red copper panda at MS66.  After that, I decided to try for a complete set of mint pandas 1989-2015, all certified by NGC.  I am just about finished, but it has cost me.  Found a couple of MS70s at a coin show, one MS69 at a local coin dealer, and the rest on eBay.  I am of the opinion that these certified pandas will not go down in value, and having at least one coin from every year helps the investment.  My question to the forum is this: should I spring really big bucks for the 1987 and 1983-85, or wait for some serendipitous sale from an estate or very very nice seller, at which point I will click the proverbial silver slippers (see the book version of Wizard of Oz or YouTube videos on this topic)...

#69 2015-06-15 11:02:58

KeepOnTrying!
Trades :   

hihosilveraway wrote:

I avoided buying silver pandas due to the counterfeits out there. Bought a double sealed 2010 panda in FL at a coin shop only to find out it's a damned good counterfeit.  Only found out by doing research on panda-feits.  But now I am keeping it alongside a genuine 2010 silver panda, to show to coin shop dealers...no one can tell the difference even with eye magnifiers.  What got me started 18 months ago buying silver pandas were some strokes of luck: a 1990 small date at an antique mall for $40, a 1989 at a coin shop in Pittsburgh for $60, a 1991 large date at a local coin shop for $60 and a 2000 frosted panda at another coin shop for $50.  I also got a 1993 three-coin set (mint, proof, and copper panda) for $200 at an jewelry store in my neighborhood, probably an estate sale item.  At any rate, I decided at that point to get these pandas certified by NGC.  Fortunately, my local coin shop dealer offers to ship to NGC for about $18 per silver panda.  The amazing thing was that all these pandas came back MS69 except for the 1993 proof at MS68 and the red copper panda at MS66.  After that, I decided to try for a complete set of mint pandas 1989-2015, all certified by NGC.  I am just about finished, but it has cost me.  Found a couple of MS70s at a coin show, one MS69 at a local coin dealer, and the rest on eBay.  I am of the opinion that these certified pandas will not go down in value, and having at least one coin from every year helps the investment.  My question to the forum is this: should I spring really big bucks for the 1987 and 1983-85, or wait for some serendipitous sale from an estate or very very nice seller, at which point I will click the proverbial silver slippers (see the book version of Wizard of Oz or YouTube videos on this topic)...

Great job with what you have achieved so far! I am not as lucky as you; two local coin fairs I visited did not have any MCC!!!

The answer to your question depends on how deep your pocket is. There are a few graded and ungraded 1983-1985 sets on eBay (last time I checked). PF68s are fine and PF69s will cost more but are worth the cost. There is going to be a time when those coins will disappear completely from the market, as new well heeled collectors hit the market.

Some people say that you do not need the first three years' coins in a set but I believe that having the complete set from 1983 onwards magnifies the value of your set.

Regarding your comment, one of the first things about fakes is that they tend to be cheap! Buying NGC and PCGS certified and slabbed coins is probably the best way of acquiring especially early year pandas. Also buy from reputable eBay sellers. eBay has a no quibbles return policy. More sophisticated collectors (not me!) have sensitive weighing scales, calipers, computer microscopes and other tools of the trades they use in examining thier newly purchased coins.

Goodluck!

KeepOnTrying and never give up!

#70 2015-06-15 11:08:15

KeepOnTrying!
Trades :   

gcsun wrote:

Also see my comments in Post#69 below. Thanks.

KeepOnTrying and never give up!

Board footer