Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is temporarily disabled due to a spam attack.

#1 2011-06-15 09:11:47

Rubbing Elbows
Trades :   

Buying a 2nd Hand Metal Detector

I'm looking into buying a 2nd hand metal detector that can find me some gold?

Can anyone here give any advice into which model would be most suitable & what price range I would be expected to pay for an affordable detector that can detect gold?

Me & a mate do a bit of hiking through the National & Conservation parks around the Adelaide Hills + the surrounding forests so not sure if you need to buy for a certain soil types etc. We thought it might be a good idea to hunt for a nugget or 2 whilst were out hiking.

#2 2011-06-15 09:14:26

Silver Soul
Silver Stacker
Trades :   64 

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand Metal Detector

You got a budget, for this venture?

Rollup....Rollup...Don't delay....Silver is money....Become a Silver Stacker today.

#3 2011-06-15 09:16:34

Rubbing Elbows
Trades :   

Silver Soul wrote:

You got a budget, for this venture?

Not sure how much I need to spend to get out & have some fun with a chance of finding something.

The following user says thank you for this post: ParanoidAndroid

#4 2011-06-15 09:29:11

goldpelican
Administrator
Trades :   153 
Website

For serious detecting (i.e. with a hope of finding something) look to the Minelab SD2100/2200, or something like a GP3000 - even second hand these will still set you back $1500/$2500, but honestly you need to spend good money on good technology to have a hope of finding something. Nothing more depressing than being out the back of Kalgoorlie somewhere that had trees growing out of the middle of the track to get to, thinking you might finally be onto some virgin soil, and seeing a week old detector hole from another prospector.

Almost every square inch of readily accessible goldfield has had several generations of detectors waved over it, so stick to the current generation technology (pulse induction). Better off buying a second hand unit - way cheaper than laying out several oz for a new one, and they hold their value. Lots of mods can be done to pimp them up to later standards, never underestimate what having spare batteries means, and be prepared to treat it as a hobby that costs money, not makes money.

Also do a training course - education on using this tech as well as just getting helping hints from the pros is invaluable and will save you days of wasted effort.

And always always always fill your holes!

My posts on Silver Stackers are either personal opinion or acting in the capacity of site administrator. Opinions offered do not constitute professional or financial advice.

The following 5 users say thank you for this post: Rubbing Elbows, Philski, Ozboy, auspm, Cind3r

#5 2011-06-15 09:33:10

Rubbing Elbows
Trades :   

goldpelican wrote:

Also do a training course - education on using this tech as well as just getting helping hints from the pros is invaluable and will save you days of wasted effort.

We're going to book in & do this course http://minersdensa.com.au/xcart-shippin … ourse.html & it looks like they hire the equipment to kick on after the course has finished.

I'll fill in the holes & hopefully fill up my pockets big_smile

Last edited by Rubbing Elbows (2011-06-15 09:41:45)

#6 2011-06-15 09:47:58

Silver Soul
Silver Stacker

Mate,
A half decent metal detector will hit ya wallet for $2K  Plus
look@ say a MINELAB SD2200D to start with, each series after that just add $1k. Adjusted to ya budget.

My Aqua pulse head is $3500. With 3 coils add $1500......Expensive gear doesn't ensure success, Like anything! you need to research the subject...Learn where gold sits in gullies, lay of the land is the art of finding gold. Ya can have the best equipment known to man for findin the yella stuff,& still find sweet F all.

Rollup....Rollup...Don't delay....Silver is money....Become a Silver Stacker today.

The following user says thank you for this post: Blame_Game

#7 2011-06-15 10:00:27

Rubbing Elbows
Trades :   

Silver Soul wrote:

Mate,
look@ say a MINELAB SD2200D to start with, each series after that just add $1k. Adjusted to ya budget.

My Aqua pulse head is $3500. With 3 coils add $1500......Expensive gear doesn't ensure success, Like anything! you need to research the subject...Learn where gold sits in gullies, lay of the land is the art of finding gold. Ya can have the best equipment known to man for findin the yella stuff,& still find sweet F all.

Where's the best place to look for one of these 2nd hand detector's as I'm no expert. Not a big fan of ebay, would rather buy from a dealer that deals in 2nd hand units. Know of any?

Last edited by Rubbing Elbows (2011-06-15 10:00:41)

#8 2011-06-15 10:06:55

goldpelican
Administrator
Trades :   153 
Website

Coiltek in Vic, must be somewhere similar in SA.

My posts on Silver Stackers are either personal opinion or acting in the capacity of site administrator. Opinions offered do not constitute professional or financial advice.

#9 2011-06-15 10:10:49

Silver Soul
Silver Stacker

The link ya provided! http://minersdensa.com.au/xcart-shippin … ourse.html

Generally they have second hand equipment for sale all the time, so many people rush out & buy this stuff...Used once then sold @ half their value, including all the mods if ya lucky, with a few free coils chucked in .........research

#10 2011-06-15 21:34:14

Butch
Silver Stacker
Trades :   17 

goldpelican wrote:

For serious detecting (i.e. with a hope of finding something) look to the Minelab SD2100/2200, or something like a GP3000 - even second hand these will still set you back $1500/$2500, but honestly you need to spend good money on good technology to have a hope of finding something. Nothing more depressing than being out the back of Kalgoorlie somewhere that had trees growing out of the middle of the track to get to, thinking you might finally be onto some virgin soil, and seeing a week old detector hole from another prospector.

Almost every square inch of readily accessible goldfield has had several generations of detectors waved over it, so stick to the current generation technology (pulse induction). Better off buying a second hand unit - way cheaper than laying out several oz for a new one, and they hold their value. Lots of mods can be done to pimp them up to later standards, never underestimate what having spare batteries means, and be prepared to treat it as a hobby that costs money, not makes money.

You can have all the best gear in the world but if your not on gold bearing ground you wont find any.I discovered long ago that need to learn some geo knowledge. If you cant read the ground you wont find gold unless your real jammy.

I am smiling.

#11 2011-06-16 03:52:07

purgatori
Trades :   34 

i got a new gold snoop pro for $250 ive been finding stuff all over the place found my first pre decimal coin yesterday a 1952 half penny , a nice silver ring a few days ago and about $10.57 in coins just about to get my garret pro pointer in the next few days and a few other extras the people ive been talking to say you dont need to spend thousands of dollars on detectors you can get a very good set up for about $500 to $900

#12 2011-06-16 05:38:34

fiatphoney

I have got two sd2200d , both bought second hand - one from bendigo gold $1850 (maybe a bit more with sound enhancer) and one from a miners den $2000.
Both since modded @$550 each extra. The one from bendigo also had a DDcoil  mod switch that allows a DD to be used as a monocoil if the ground settles down for extra depth.
There is also a 'gold button' mod ready to go, (I negotiated the mod as I was getting two done at once) I just haven't made the external plug in button switch yet, it's to ground balance quickly and more easily - hence more frequently.
So there are heaps of mods you can do.  And that's the sort of money you are looking at.
Regulating your power supply using a small lightweight 12v battery is a good way to go as well.
I believe you don't want to go above 7.8v from memory.
Unfortunately they've only had about four hours use in two years.

And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.   Daniel 8:25

#13 2011-06-16 05:46:11

Rubbing Elbows
Trades :   

All really good information so far...thanks guys. After reading some of the posts I think a little more research is needed before making a decision. I'm definitely going to do that introductory course from the 'minersden' & also talk to them about 2nd hand options as well. I remember when I was researching when before buying a camera & also got so many different views & opinions & it seems like this is going to be a similar experience.

Thanks again for all the info smile

#14 2012-01-04 22:21:29

PrettyPrettyShinyShiny
Trades :   31 

Rubbing Elbows wrote:

All really good information so far...thanks guys. After reading some of the posts I think a little more research is needed before making a decision. I'm definitely going to do that introductory course from the 'minersden' & also talk to them about 2nd hand options as well. I remember when I was researching when before buying a camera & also got so many different views & opinions & it seems like this is going to be a similar experience.

Thanks again for all the info smile

Hey mate..Any updates on how your prospecting has been going? I'v made a new years resolution.. and it's to spend more time outside. Hiking, camping, trekking etc etc. I'm hopefully going to get my arse into gear and do the 6 foot track in syd/blu mtns region this year. The other thing was to get me a detector! Nothing better than the great outdoors..other than giving yourself the chance to nab a find..be it a tin can or a 2 gram nugget!

I bought the nugget snoop pro (from Jack Lange's company). Heaps of people bagging it, but it's a great entry point to get familiar with the hobby, techniques and its REALLY lightweight so good for covering a lot more ground that's typically highly mineralised. If I find a sweet patch, lock it into the GPS and return another day with an expensive detector to find some bigger stuff, much deeper.

Anyway.. I'm awaiting delivery for it.. then I start planning my adventure.. one day at a time!

Peace

The lunar tiger got out of the cage, man.

#15 2012-01-04 22:32:29

Butch
Silver Stacker
Trades :   17 

Rubbing Elbows wrote:
Silver Soul wrote:

Mate,

Where's the best place to look for one of these 2nd hand detector's as I'm no expert. Not a big fan of ebay, would rather buy from a dealer that deals in 2nd hand units. Know of any?

Minelab are based in Adelaide.

I am smiling.

#16 2012-01-05 00:31:46

silverstar1
Trades :   18 

Yeah I would go for a minelab if you can afford it , I like whites detectors as well. It also depends on if you are just looking for gold nuggets or if you might want to find relics and coins. The gold only detectors are the best for gold but generally too sensitive if there is other trash around whites makes a good all around one the mxt , that has a gold nugget setting but it is not as good as something like a high end minelab gold detector,. The minelab is also nice because it generally goes a little deeper which is good for areas that have been detected before. I would ask yourseldf also how serious you are with it, but personally I would stay away from bounty hunter and the cheap junk models you might as well just buy some gold or silver. also just make sure you have fun with it and dont get frustrated. There is alot of good advise on this forum nice to see other people interested in this. Also like GP said always fill in your holes and dont leave trash ect. , that kind of thing really gives the hobby a bad rap.

#17 2012-01-05 00:55:50

PMcat
Trades :   
Website

Another option is to get a waterproof detector and hit your local beaches, plenty of gold jewelry could be found and you stay nice and cool on a hot summer day, plus the equipment will cost much less. ($600-1200 new)

Sift thu this site to get an idea before you commit to a certain model http://metaldetectorreviews.net/

The following user says thank you for this post: thatguy

#18 2012-01-05 05:00:54

auspm
Banned

I do the park scene for coins, but you get the occasional piece of jewelry.

Beaches are generally much better for gold and jewelry, but not as much for coins (especially older coins).

If you're chasing gold specifically, you might be disappointed.  Hard to break even on your outlay, even if you know what you're doing.

It's illegal to detect in national parks btw.  Big fines if you get caught.

Also check the laws regarding licensing in your state.  In NSW you don't need a licence to fossick, in VIC you do.

Not sure about SA.

I've only been detecting for about 4-5 months so far, but I've already found about 4 times my initial outlay in jewelry and coinage.

I get a lot of copper and a little silver, as well as a fair amount of modern coinage (already nearly $500 in $1 and $2 coins alone).

Good exercise, fresh air and you get paid.  It's a hobby that's a lot like fishing and you learn history as well.

I enjoy it.

A coin/relic detector will set you back only a few hundred.  A top of the line model (Minelabs Etrac) is about $1750.

Much cheaper than a top model gold detector (Minelabs) which is about $6500.

Note there IS a difference between a detector used to hunt only GOLD and those used to hunt coins and relics.

I work only with the coin/relic variety

If you want to go both gold and relics/coins you can go for a cheaper detector with different coil options.  (ie You can swap the bottom coil on your detector depending what sort of detecting you want to do.)

The Minelabs Xterra 705 is around $800-$1000 brand new and will do both very comfortably.  You can get coils that interchange on the unit to do both the park/beach scene and gold.

Only machines I'd consider above the 705 that are the Sov GT & the Etrac (Both Minelabs), but it's all a question of how much you wish to shell out and the style of detector you like to use.

But again, these are detectors that do both with modification, they are not specific gold detectors which are generally a fair amount more for the good models.

If you don't want a Minelabs, the Garret line is good as well (US brand).

I personally own a cheapy minelabs detector as I didn't want to spend much to get my feet wet in the hobby. 

It was the flagship coin/relic hunting machine in the series 6 years ago (Minelabs Xterra 30) and I got it at a bargain price from an Aussie through a detecting forum I'm a member of.

I'll be due for an upgrade this year some time, but even this 'relic' 2nd hand job has done amazingly well for what I paid.

Just don't be one of those idiots that digs holes everywhere and leaves them open.  Being able to dig an inconspicuous plug is an important skill to learn.  You will also need a pinpointer, digging tool and satchel to carry your rubbish away.

Doing a little good research before you get out and swing will save you a lot of grief.  I've had a great time learning and the rewards have been great.

I keep all the gold/silver/copper I dig and add them to my stack.

All the moderns I collect up and periodically I'll cash them all in to buy more silver/gold.

It's not much, but for someone like me on low disposable income every ounce counts and you'd be surprised at how many $1 and $2 coins get dropped every year in suburban parks.

I think I've found about 20 silver coins in the last 4 months as well - they go straight in the stack.

Don't get me wrong, you're very unlikely to get rich doing this.  I just do it for the fun and exercise, but getting a little extra in the piggy bank is always welcome too

(edited for additional info and clarity)

Last edited by auspm (2012-01-05 20:00:29)

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: ozcopper, Eureka Moments, skipau

#19 2012-01-05 05:13:53

Aureus
Silver Stacker

I have had my hands on just about every minelab detector and the one that stands out to me if you're on a budget is the 2200v2, if you want gold that machine was way ahead of it's time.

You probably still have to pay close to $2000 for one but when it's nearest competition costs double that it's a steal. Only problem is finding someone that is willing to sell you one, pretty rare, most pros know how good it is.
You will find gold with one of these, no doubt about it.

Last edited by Aureus (2012-01-05 05:15:05)

An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.

#20 2012-01-05 07:32:22

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker
Trades :   62 

I own a Minelab GPX 4500. Purchased secondhand for $4000. I used to own an SD2200d. It found nice nuggets at good depth but not very many of them. I have found 5 times more gold with the later model, often going over the same ground I did with the older model.

It finds a lot of the tiny nuggets that are still out there. Im talking down to 0.05 grams. I found 4 alluvial nuggets and 4 specimens this afternoon (I live in the Golden Triangle of Victoria). Smallest piece was 0.07 grams, the biggest 0.48 grams. A gold snoop and similar detectors would not have found any of them.

GoldPelican's earlier post summed up the earlier Minelabs but not the GPX models which are much better at dealing with mineralisation and much better at finding small nuggets, which in many areas is all thats mainly left.

There are a lot of things to consider about what type of detector will suit you. How often will you get to use it? Do you live in an area that has goldfields nearby or are you going to travel and camp somewhere? You may be better off hiring a later model machine instead of buying.

I bought my detector through the Trading Post. Ebay can be ok too. Buying a Minelab from a dealer will cost you several hundred dollars more than buying privately. You can also get extra coils or picks, maps and the like which ads value to the deal. You can also onsell extra coils and gear that isnt suitable and reduce your outlay. Wherever you buy from ask lots of questions. If you live within an hour or so ask for a F2F and go and see before you buy. Postage will cost you about $50, may as well spend it on petrol and go have a look if you can.

Minelab's Aust. headquarters are in Adelaide SA and they do all servicing of their detectors. You can send the control box to them and they will service it for you, costs around $100 plus parts and postage. Some later models can still be under warranty and they will service for free. However they will not service any machine that has been modified.

Disclosure:  Even Barnabas Gan has changed his tune!. Last years legend called gold to be $950/oz by this years end on Jan 28 2016 but now expects $1400. 

The following user says thank you for this post: Philski

#21 2012-01-05 19:50:04

wilkes
Trades :   11 

I am itching to get into prospecting/detecting, this is really good info.

#22 2012-01-05 22:00:33

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

auspm wrote:

Note there IS a difference between a detector used to hunt only GOLD and those used to hunt coins and relics.

Spot on. There are also many differences in why people go out detecting and how they go about it.

As auspm has stated, you can have a good time chasing coins, relics and jewellery from parks and beaches for a relatively small outlay, with a chance of finding enough to cover your initial costs. Assuming you are looking in the right places you have a good chance of finding stuff every outing. This is generally not as physically taxing as hunting for gold due to flat terrain and easy to dig sand/soil. Old houses sites can be good places to look (provided you have the landholder's permission). Try and find where the clothesline was...many old coins and things can be found.

Gold detecting can be done in a few different ways, depending on where you are and what equipment you are using. Many operaters use large coils to maximise depth and seek large nuggets. This can pay off because if a nugget is found it may be a multi-ounce piece. This method is generally employed in areas that have open and flat terrain, such as WA.

Where I live using large coils is not very productive as the terrain is mainly hills and gullies and dense undergrowth which makes it hard to swing a large coil. You need to be a bit of a mountain goat to get around here and this is one reason why I use a small coil (Coiltek 6"). Very lightweight and it gets into lots of nooks and crannys the larger coils cant. Small coils are much more sensetive to small gold and a lot of places I go small nuggets are the norm. People in my area also use large coils but I liken it to fishing for whiting with a marlin rig.

I find nuggets on virtually every outing. Small, but I get a buzz out of every piece.

Disclosure:  Even Barnabas Gan has changed his tune!. Last years legend called gold to be $950/oz by this years end on Jan 28 2016 but now expects $1400. 

The following user says thank you for this post: thatguy

#23 2012-01-05 22:04:55

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

http://mapshare2.dse.vic.gov.au/MapShar … ite=geovic

This is from the Victorian DPI and is a great reference for research about where to go prospecting.

#24 2012-01-06 00:05:00

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Detecting, for me, is a wonderful hobby. The great outdoors and a chance to maybe find something of big value can be very alluring. But there are some pitfalls as well. Everyone should consider these things before deciding what they want to invest in.

TIME
How much time do you have available or are you willing to put into it? This includes researching and travelling as well as actual prospecting. Can you go on day trips or do you want to go on camping trips/ holidays for extended periods? Spending more than a few hundred dollars on a detector may not be the best idea if you dont get to use it much. Detecting can be likened to Golf. Most people can hit a golf ball, but to get and maintain a decent handicap requires a lot of practice.

EXPECTATIONS
What do you expect to get out of this? There are many stories of people finding big Gold on their first outing. I hope it happens (or already has) to any members here. For me it took 6 months before I found my first nugget. I did find old coins and relics though which kept me interested. One problem I had I wasnt looking in the right places for Gold (lack of knowledge and research). My first piece weighed 0.34 grams. It took me another 6 months to find 10 more pieces including my first weighing over a gram (4.27 grams). Itwasnt until I learned a fair bit that finds became consistent and rewarding.

How many holes are you willing to dig? Many of the nuggets I dig are amongst large amounts of rubbish. This is because many people are not willing to dig holes (which can be hard yakka in quartz, clay and ironstone) only to dig up and old nail, bullet, piece of crap etc. Generally I dig everything. Using a small coil means most targets are shallow and only take a minute or so to locate. Taking the rubbish away works (in the right places) but can be frustrating and time consuming. Minelab PI detectors have a discriminate function but it cant be trusted so nobody uses it.

You need some dedication and patience. This is important especially if you are going to involve your partner or kids who may a much different boredom or frustration threshold.

MONEY
The prices of merits of various detectors have been covered here already. But there is more cash to be outlaid before, and during, your time in the Goldfields.

You need a pick. Bunnings will do for around $15. A proper one (like a WALCO) are $70 and upwards and worth it if you dig a lot. Coils are worth $200-$500 new (not essential but much lighterthan standard issue IMO). Spare batteries if going out for extended times. Maps, research material, outdoor clothing and footwear, it all adds up. Dont forget your miners right or any other permits. It varies state to state. If you will be camping then there are all the costs like food etc to factor in.

Fuel is a big impost. Im lucky to live within 20km of some goldfields but for many fuel will be a big cost. My biggest expenses at the moment are petrol and insect repellent (Coles brand, identical to aerogard but heaps cheaper).
Which leads to...

THE GREAT OUTDOORS

It can be a wonderful thing to be out in the bush, finding some Gold and "feeling the serenity"....until you realise that youre standing on an ants nest and they are not sharing your feelings of contentment and happiness. The Bush has many insects and animals that can be a problem. In my part of Victoria its Bullants, jumping Jacks, mosquitos, march flies, scorpians, centipedes that are the biggest hassles. Snakes can be a worry but I find that the rustling of my coil gives them notice of my presence and they usually dont attack...different if you stand on one though. Oh, and make sure you dont hit a Roo or a wombat on the road. Early morning and dusk usually the worst times. I couldnt imagine what critters would be around in other states but theyre probably bigger and better than here.

There is also the weather. It can be darn hot in the summer and we get winter snow as well. I am crazy enough to have found Gold when it has been snowing as well as on 40 deg. days. Are you keen or crazy enough to go out hunting in all conditions or just the good days. This can be a reason why people dont get to go out as much as they would like or plan to.

I wish anybody who goes out and has a go the very best of luck. Despite what I have written there is a great amount of enjoyment to be had in this great Country of ours hunting for Gold, so if your keen go for it!

The following 6 users say thank you for this post: thatguy, Austacker, auspm, Silverbullet08, markcoinoz, silvertorrent

#25 2012-01-16 03:33:17

Austacker
Trades :   56 
Website

Great thread guys, a lot of useful information. I was wondering if anyone can give some advice. I am really keen to start having a go at this, for various reasons. I plan to mainly go for coins etc... at this stage. I want to be able to bring the family along on a few outings. I am also thinking that the beach, rivers and other areas here in Perth could be productive. How often I would do this I am not sure. The ability to be able to take anywhere though is pretty appealing.

I normally try to work on the "Buy once, buy well" motto, I think if you are going to do something try to do the best you can. Thinking so far I am only really left with the Garret AT Pro, I have watched a few youtube vids and it seems to be a pretty good detector. I can get locally for about $780

or do I get a  Minelab X-Terra 705 ? This is a bot dearer and doesn't have the full waterproof capabilities of the AT Pro but does come with a waterproofs coils ?

OR

Do I just get a cheaper starter unit like either the - Minelab Xtera 305 $395, Garrett Ace 350 $434, or even one of the little Treasure Snoops for $279. My only dilemma with going this cheaper route, is if I decide to go further and do some exploration trips, which my mate and I are already mapping out. Then I feel the entry level are a bit of a waste of time as they will not be good enough if someone has gone over the ground before.

When we do our trip I am looking at getting a S/H Minelab GPX something... I am hopeful that all of the treasure found will help reduce some of the cost. I reckon it would be handy to have a waterproof detector and one that is good enough as a backup as well, or even a loan for a friend or kid etc...

I don't mind spending the money, but I don't want to just spend for the sake of spending either. At this point I thing the AT Pro is my choice, comments thoughts, please let me know.

So I suppose if anyone has one in Perth they want to do a metal trade ? let me know smile

The following user says thank you for this post: Philski

Board footer