Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is archived. Please visit the new forums at www.silverstackers.com. Password reset may be required!
  • Index
  • » Gold
  • » This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

#1 2017-02-16 18:02:22

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Registered: 2014-03-01
Posts: 13,437
Trades :   122 
Website

This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

A landlocked nation perched between China and Kazakhstan is embarking on an experiment with little parallel worldwide: shifting savings from cattle to gold.

One of the first post-Soviet republics to adopt a new currency and let it trade freely, Kyrgyzstan's central bank wants every citizen to diversify into gold. Governor Tolkunbek Abdygulov says his "dream" is for every one of the 6 million citizens to own at least 100 grams (3.5 ounces) of the precious metal, the Central Asian country's biggest export.

"Gold can be stored for a long time and, despite the price fluctuations on international markets, it doesn't lose its value for the population as a means of savings," he said in an interview. "I'll try to turn the dream into reality faster."

In the two years that the central bank has offered bars directly to the population, about 140 kilograms of bullion have been sold, Abdygulov, 40, said by phone from the capital, Bishkek.

"We are hopeful that our country's population will learn to diversify its savings into assets that are more liquid and -- more importantly -- capable of retaining their value," he said. In rural areas, cattle is still the asset of choice for investors and savers, according to Abdygulov.

Kyrgyzstan has bucked a trend among central banks, the biggest owners of bullion, by stepping up buying even as its counterparts cut purchases in 2016 to a six-year low. Global combined bar and coin demand fell, according to the World Gold Council.

More: https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/arti … et-fringes


Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

Offline

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: AnubisOne, raven

#2 2017-02-16 18:24:16

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
From: North Sydney
Registered: 2016-01-08
Posts: 2,261
Trades :   39 

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

Having a pumper in government hahahhha, I guess someone has to pay for the private gold mines the official get kick backs from.


WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

Offline

#3 2017-02-16 18:46:07

JulieW
Silver Stacker
From: Australia
Registered: 2010-10-14
Posts: 11,132

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

How cynical we've all become!

Offline

#4 2017-02-16 19:27:11

Roswell Crash Survivor
Silver Stacker
From: Zeta Reticuli
Registered: 2011-04-11
Posts: 1,965
Trades :   32 

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

USGS wrote:

In 2013, the value of gold exports was $582.9 million, which accounted for 36% of total exports.

Source: US Geological Survey Report - http://minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/ … 013-kg.pdf

Prezi wrote:

One of the most famous natural resources of Kyrgyzstan is gold.  There are several places around Kyrgyzstan with gold deposits: Talas Province, the area surrounding the Chatkal River, Makmal, and Kumtor Mine.  Kumtor Mine is by far the most well-known site and is estimated to be the 7th largest gold deposit in the entire world.  Gold is essential to the economy of Kyrgyzstan.  Approximately 10% of Kyrgyzstan's GDP comes from it and gold constitutes 90% of all the mined natural resources of Kyrgyzstan.

Source: Prezi - http://prezi.com/6qwuvs0qxu2n/natural-r … prise-you/

I'm guessing someone in Bishkek doesn't want all the gold just leaving the country as soon as it's out of the ground.

China, another major gold producer, has been promoting private gold ownership in recent years for similar reasons.

Stupidly fast growth in GDP per capita

UN Data wrote:

GDP per capita (current US$)    2014    1267.1    
GDP per capita (current US$)    2010    877.4    
GDP per capita (current US$)    2005    480.9

Source: UN Data - http://data.un.org/CountryProfile.aspx? … Kyrgyzstan

Last edited by Roswell Crash Survivor (2017-02-16 19:32:42)


The Roswell Crash Survivor

Offline

#5 2017-02-16 19:28:58

sammysilver
Silver Stacker
From: Sydney
Registered: 2011-04-07
Posts: 5,488
Trades :   189 
Website

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

$30 billion dollars.


The price we pay for the good life is public servitude.

Offline

#6 2017-02-16 19:53:13

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
From: North Sydney
Registered: 2016-01-08
Posts: 2,261
Trades :   39 

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

Roswell Crash Survivor wrote:

I'm guessing someone in Bishkek doesn't want all the gold just leaving the country as soon as it's out of the ground.

China, another major gold producer, has been promoting private gold ownership in recent years for similar reasons.

For Korea, amassing gold has been a time honoured tradition. I'm Korean and even now giving 24k gold rings to babies 1st birthday and other milestone dates is still very big in Korea.

Just how much gold is there in the world that is not accounted for, I would say 100,000s of tons.

Bearing in mind 227 tonnes of gold bullion were donated by the public to help the government pay off its debts. I remember reading in Korean news how astounded IMF was, that Korean had so much unaccounted gold, considering not everyone gave and those that did not everyone gave everything.


WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

Offline

#7 2017-02-16 20:29:33

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Registered: 2014-03-01
Posts: 13,437
Trades :   122 
Website

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

Ipv6Ready wrote:

Just how much gold is there in the world that is not accounted for, I would say 100,000s of tons.

There is approximately 170 thousand tons of above ground gold, give or take several thousand. I highly doubt there are "100,000s of tons" more above ground and not accounted for. You are very good at pulling figures out of your arse roll


Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: Ipv6Ready

#8 2017-02-16 23:49:33

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
From: North Sydney
Registered: 2016-01-08
Posts: 2,261
Trades :   39 

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

SpacePete wrote:
Ipv6Ready wrote:

Just how much gold is there in the world that is not accounted for, I would say 100,000s of tons.

There is approximately 170 thousand tons of above ground gold, give or take several thousand. I highly doubt there are "100,000s of tons" more above ground and not accounted for. You are very good at pulling figures out of your arse roll


Lol did you read what I wrote, also what credence do you give 170,000 ton figure?
Look at world gold council figures and that is just made up, ie maybe few hundred mines in the world even report their figures plus how much gold was dug during the gold rushes? If you were in a gold rush town do you think that prospector reported to officials that they got 50 ounces?


WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

Offline

#9 2017-02-17 02:43:11

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Registered: 2014-03-01
Posts: 13,437
Trades :   122 
Website

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

Ipv6Ready wrote:

...what credence do you give 170,000 ton figure?
Look at world gold council figures and that is just made up, ie maybe few hundred mines in the world even report their figures plus how much gold was dug during the gold rushes? If you were in a gold rush town do you think that prospector reported to officials that they got 50 ounces?

A prospector with 50 ounces of gold is going to sell it eventually.  Admit it, you are pulling numbers out of your arse and are now squirming.


Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

Offline

#10 2017-02-17 03:15:05

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
From: North Sydney
Registered: 2016-01-08
Posts: 2,261
Trades :   39 

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

SpacePete wrote:
Ipv6Ready wrote:

...what credence do you give 170,000 ton figure?
Look at world gold council figures and that is just made up, ie maybe few hundred mines in the world even report their figures plus how much gold was dug during the gold rushes? If you were in a gold rush town do you think that prospector reported to officials that they got 50 ounces?

A prospector with 50 ounces of gold is going to sell it eventually.  Admit it, you are pulling numbers out of your arse and are now squirming.

of course they are going to sell the gold. A prospector is there to make money not die of old age with it.

The point is no one ever recorded. Yes it's a desirable metal but rare really anyone who wants it can get it.
Why would I be squirming? It's an opinion on the numbers that are reported by a marketing organisation like gold council. Ie it's an expression saying there is shit loads gold more than what is reported.

Do you believe what Debeers say about diamonds do you think they are rare?


WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

Offline

#11 2017-02-17 03:33:48

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Registered: 2014-03-01
Posts: 13,437
Trades :   122 
Website

Re: This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

Ipv6Ready wrote:

Do you believe what Debeers say about diamonds do you think they are rare?

Do you understand the difference in rarity?

Diamonds: made from the 6th most common element in the universe and readily manufactured for industrial use.

Gold: produced in supernova nucleosynthesis from the collision of neutron stars.


Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

Offline

  • Index
  • » Gold
  • » This Country Wants Everyone to Have 100 Grams of Gold

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB