Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will open again next Wednesday.

#1 2016-12-30 00:08:43

mmissinglink
Trades :   19 

2017 American Liberty Gold Coin design Unveiled

In some ways, we are not that different

#2 2016-12-30 00:23:16

serial
Silver Stacker
Trades :   205 

Re: 2017 American Liberty Gold Coin design Unveiled

save people clicking on link
7864_2017-american-liberty-hr-obverse-design-candidates-hr-o-08.png

On January 12, 2017, the Mint will hold its first big event of the new year: the unveiling of the 2017 American Liberty 225th Anniversary Gold Coin design. So far, the view has been limited to the line art of the final design (shown above). An unofficial photo of a test strike has circulated online, but no official photographs of the coin have been released.

The design, which was recommended in March 2016 by the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee, depicts a left-facing bust of an African American woman wearing a coronet of stars, with the word LIBERTY above, the national motto below, and the dual dates 1792 and 2017. The 24-karat gold coin will be struck in high relief, and the edge will be lettered with the inscription ✭ 225TH ANNIVERSARY ✭. Companion silver medals will also be struck (the very popular 2016 American Liberty silver medals were a quick sell-out).

The January 12 unveiling ceremony will be open to the media but not the general public. Taking place at 1 p.m. Eastern Time, in the Cash Room at the Department of the Treasury in Washington, D.C, it will be overseen by Treasury secretary Jacob Lew, deputy Treasury secretary Sarah Bloom Raskin, and United States Mint principal deputy director Rhett Jeppson.  The unveiling ceremony will kick off a year-long series of events in celebration of the Mint's 225th anniversary, which takes place on April 2, 2017

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: borbely1, SpacePete, mmissinglink

#3 2016-12-30 13:21:11

trozau
Trades :   

Too much PC nonsense.

trozau (troy ounce gold)
gold - the barbarous relic!

#4 2017-01-11 15:31:49

Niccoin
Trades :   

Oh ! That looks amazing!! Want to purchase it this year! Gorgeous design, I like US Mint finally went with this gorgeous African-American woman portrait! As I heard its only the 2nd launch of this $100 American Liberty Gold coin, and I believe 225th US Mint anniversary would definitely add value to this coin over the years! Very impressive.

The following user says thank you for this post: kutylin

#5 2017-01-14 05:39:00

kutylin
Trades :   

The following user says thank you for this post: KeepOnTrying!

#6 2017-01-15 04:12:50

kutylin
Trades :   

Plus US Mint released a cool video Making of gold America Liberty 2017 coin wink

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Trident, mmissinglink

#7 2017-01-15 17:11:10

mmissinglink

Sadly, some people in this forum and on other blogs have decided that because an African American woman is depicted, that for this reason alone, it's a terrible coin (and these ignorant fools believe that the design is motivated only by political pressure rather than it being a reflection of the spirit of our nations' people....which include countless numbers of people of African heritage or lineage over the centuries since the humble beginnings of the United States and even the earlier colonies)....that disparaging, intolerant, and prejudiced attitude certainly comes across as racist.....  http://www.coinnews.net/2017/01/12/amer … /#comments

Racists won't be buying this coin.

Last edited by mmissinglink (2017-01-15 17:12:31)

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: Ipv6Ready, Currawong, SpacePete

#8 2017-01-15 17:21:30

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Trades :   122 
Website

This is a gorgeous design. I hope we can find some in Australia when it becomes available .

___

Last edited by SpacePete (2017-01-15 17:38:36)

Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

#9 2017-01-15 17:29:45

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

mmissinglink wrote:

"Racists won't be buying this coin."

Those are the same people who are likely to get furiously angry if anyone suggests Jesus was probably not a white American and could even have been Jewish.

People who write angry articles, like the following one below: ------->

"Christians have been duped by the unholiest hoax in all history, by so-called Jews. This is considered their most effective weapon."

"This 'big lie' technique is brainwashing United States Christians into believing that Jesus Christ was "King of the Jews", in the sense that so-called 'Jews' today call themselves 'Jews'. This reference was first made in English translations of the Old and New Testaments, centuries before the so-called Jews highjacked the word 'Jew' in the 18th century A.D. to palm themselves off on the Christian world as having a kinship with Jesus Christ. This alleged kinship comes from the myth of their common ancestry with the so-called 'Jews' of the Holy Land in the Old Testament history, a fiction based on fable."

https://www.biblebelievers.org.au/jesusjew.htm

The following user says thank you for this post: mmissinglink

#10 2017-01-15 17:40:44

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

When will these be available? I understand there will be a matching silver version?

#11 2017-01-15 19:06:52

trozau
Trades :   

mmissinglink wrote:

And even more non-racists who will NOT be buying this coin.

trozau (troy ounce gold)
gold - the barbarous relic!

#12 2017-01-15 19:09:11

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

trozau wrote:
mmissinglink wrote:

And even more non-racists who will NOT be buying this coin.

But not specifically because of the design.

#13 2017-01-15 20:18:39

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker
Trades :   59 

Not saying a word,lol
But maybe you should all look up the definition of the word racist , though the definition has probably changed with the times, like everything else
I'm a Richmond supporter I like black and gold

#14 2017-01-15 20:28:14

mmissinglink

I'm fully aware of the definition of the word racist/racism. I don't see how it's possible to read some of those bigoted comments and not conclude, solely based on reason and logic, that there clearly appears to be some who hold a racist view.

If it talks and writes like a racist, it's probably a racist.

Racists have existed for centuries. We should not assume that somehow the human race has magically rid itself of racists, just because.

The following user says thank you for this post: SpacePete

#15 2017-01-15 20:30:58

mmissinglink

SpacePete wrote:

When will these be available? I understand there will be a matching silver version?

In a news release, the U.S. Mint announced that the 225th anniversary gold coin will launch on April 6. In addition, the bureau said the coin is:

"The first in a series of 24-karat gold coins that will feature designs which depict an allegorical Liberty in a variety of contemporary forms-including designs representing Asian-Americans, Hispanic-Americans, and Indian-Americans among others-to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States. These 24-karat gold coins will be issued biennially."

The news release also stated that the gold piece will ship in a custom designed, black wood presentation case along with a 225th anniversary booklet and a Certificate of Authenticity.

#16 2017-01-15 20:37:40

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker
Trades :   59 

mmissinglink wrote:

I'm fully aware of the definition of the word racist/racism. I don't see how it's possible to read some of those bigoted comments and not conclude, solely based on reason and logic, that there clearly appears to be some who hold a racist view.

If it talks and writes like a racist, it's probably a racist.

Racists have existed for centuries. We should not assume that somehow the human race has magically rid itself of racists, just because.

Good, could you tell me because I'm stuffed if I know

#17 2017-01-15 22:30:00

Howe
Trades :   

Does anyone know if these coins are labled as round or proof coins?

#18 2017-01-16 01:07:11

mmissinglink

Howe wrote:

Does anyone know if these coins are labled as round or proof coins?

I'm fairly certain they will be in a proof finish. These are legal tender U.S. coins.

radiobirdman wrote:

Good, could you tell me because I'm stuffed if I know

In my own words, a racist is someone who believes that a particular race is inferior to another or to others.

Last edited by mmissinglink (2017-01-16 01:07:36)

#19 2017-01-16 07:44:06

barsenault
Trades :   13 
Website

I'm hoping I'm not racist by saying I don't like the coin.  Not because it is black, pink or purple. I just don't like it. Lol.

www.chinesemedals.com  Here is our website. We do collect, but we also sell what we collect, to folks like you, all over the world.

#20 2017-01-16 10:49:30

dccpa
Trades :   

Typical PC racist image on the obverse. Look at how they modified the typical African American nose. Now look at the photos of Sacagawea coin and Shoshone Indian photos. Notice Sacagawea's forehead slanting backwards in the coin image? Do the foreheads slant backwards on the Shoshone in the photo linked below? No, they don't. I do like the eagle on the reverse, but the PC crap got old a long time ago. 

http://sacagaweadollarguide.com/

http://www.firstpeople.us/photographs2/ … -1878.html

#21 2017-01-16 11:08:29

mmissinglink

barsenault wrote:

I'm hoping I'm not racist by saying I don't like the coin.  Not because it is black, pink or purple. I just don't like it. Lol.

There's nothing racist about not liking the design but when someone takes issue with the race (or features specific to a race) of Liberty for no good reason, then the red flags must be raised.

Last edited by mmissinglink (2017-01-16 11:10:35)

#22 2017-01-16 12:03:10

mmissinglink

It's one thing to assert that an American Liberty coin design is bad because the design or sculpt is executed poorly. It's a totally different thing to assert that an American Liberty coin design is bad because it's politically correct in showing someone who just happens to have a different skin pigmentation or anatomical features not consistent with a caucasian person.

Case in point: there are many different Barack Obama coins/rounds that have been produced over the years, some with a design poorly executed (the image bears little likeness to Obama), some with a design well made (the image bears a good amount of likeness to Obama). There's nothing wrong with stating a coin is bad because of a poor design. But if your position is that a coin is bad because the individual that's depicted isn't caucasian or that because a black person is depicted on an American Liberty coin then this must mean the only reason for that choice is political correctness, then red flags must be raised.

There's some people who think Obama's a bad president because he's black....to them, probably all coins depicting Obama are bad because of his race.  roll

Anyway, for the rest of is, the following 3 coins/rounds seem inarguably to be poor designs. There's nothing racist in asserting that one doesn't like these coins because of the poor design:

8838_barack_obama_coin_-_poor_3.jpg

8838_barack_obama_coin_-_poor_1.jpg

8838_barack_obama_coin_-_poor_2.jpg

The following 3 designs seem to be good designs (Obama's likeness is captured fairly accurately):

8838_barack_obama_coin_-_okay_3.jpg

8838_barack_obama_coin_-_okay_2.jpg

8838_barack_obama_coin_-_okay_1.jpg

Last edited by mmissinglink (2017-01-16 12:49:36)

The following user says thank you for this post: SpacePete

#23 2017-01-17 12:59:36

Jim4silver
Trades :   

The way the term "racist" is bandied about today is pretty disgusting.  Anyone who says anything negative about any issue that involves something that is based on or centers around folks who are non white is called a racist.  Just like people called Obama's critics racist, even Obama used the race card to say why people didn't like his ideas because of his race.  I supported Obama in election 1, but because I saw what he was about and didn't like most of his policies (continued war in mid east that expanded under him, letting in rampant illegals, anti guns, later on obamacare etc), I guess I am a racist per the common theme used by lefty libs today?

The fact that the US Mint has said it will feature exclusively non white females (portrayed as lady liberty) on a particular coin can be a turn off in and of itself for some based on the clear politics behind it, irrespective of the coin's design.  That doesn't mean those people are RACISTS.  Just because someone isn't a lefty lib doesn't mean that person is racist.  I am sure the lefty libs will not say that putting only non whites on a coin is racist though, which it clearly is, since the choice of who to put on the coin is based on race or heritage and in this case excludes caucasion people intentionally.  Isn't that racist?

Here is a line from the below article:  "Later coins will portray Liberty as Asian-American, Hispanic-American, Indian-American, and more".  Reverse racism is still racism.

If the US Mint says "we're going to make a coin and put a black female on it", and someone says, "I'm not buying that coin if a black is on it", that person can safely be called a racist.  However, if the US Mint says, "we're going to make a series of coins and use ladies liberty of heritages and races other than caucasion", and someone says, "I'm not buying it because the idea behind it is anti American since it is discriminatory and racist (or too PC, etc)", that does NOT mean said person is a racist.  That person simply is reacting towards progressive political views behind the coin's creation.  Note:  the mint never said they're not using caucasions specifically, but did name races/heritages that are all non white for future coins.  So I believe the inference is just. 

PS  I think the design on the coin is nice but it reminds me a bit of first spouse coins which I don't really like all that much. 

http://fortune.com/2017/01/13/us-mint-l … erty-coin/ 

Just my opinion.

Jim

Last edited by Jim4silver (2017-01-17 13:57:13)

#24 2017-01-18 01:05:31

mmissinglink

Another coin journal reporting on the unveiling of the 2017 Amer. Liberty gold coin:   http://news.coinupdate.com/mint-unveils … gold-coin/

As for racist remarks, there certainly appear to be some made by some people who have commented in various online venues - in spite of the fact that many Left Wingers do in fact use the term inappropriately. But to throw red herrings out by denouncing Obama is really a terrible defense for some of the racist-sounding comments that are out there in at least 1 of the links I provided (that I've read).

That a coin series will depict all white men is not necessarily indicative of a racist attitude in the same way that a coin series that depicts all non-white women isn't indicative of a racist attitude. It's the comments made by some that I see as coming across as racist.

Jim, set aside this current coin controversy.......do you think that racist attitudes can't be held by some people who buy precious metals or coins?

#25 2017-01-18 01:17:39

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

A lot of convoluted attempts to deny a blatantly racist dynamic in this argument. This design is the very opposite of politically correct... it doesn't take a safe, non-offensive path, but instead the design can be considered quite brave and mould-breaking.  If people get offended and are frothing at the mouth then it is guaranteed a place in history as one of the great artistic coin designs. No wishy washy pandering to redneck racists here.

I congratulate them! Well done.

Board footer