Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will reopen on Monday.

#26 2017-01-08 23:45:53

Court Jester
Silver Stacker
Trades :   41 

Re: Makers of Neurofen jailed for 7 years for killing 100

HoldMeTender wrote:
radiobirdman wrote:

The $2 milk is half price because its half water

It's cheap because Coles and Woolies strong-arm their suppliers into accepting artificially low wholesale prices.

I never buy their brand, preferring to pay another dollar for something the farmers can actually make a living on.. and know many people who do the same.

again unless you are buying farmer co op owned milk i.e. NORCO then nothing extra goies to the farmers i.e. you paying $4 for a PAULS milke for example see no extra going to the farmer.  You might get a warm fuzzy feeling but it is not having the effect you are thinking it is.

Last edited by Court Jester (2017-01-08 23:53:49)

<--------------------------------------------------------- SIDEWAYS --------------------------------------------------------->
quote=sammysilver 25/10/13  ----- PMs will drive silver to over $30 by Christmas with the GSR dropping to sub 50. I've overextended myself at sub $24 but will keep buying up to $30 then sell half my stack at Easter at $36 and buy up on the next dip if there is one.
Running Telly of incorrect to correct Predictions by SammySilver -- 7:1 as of 10/08/16

The following 4 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, renovator, House, Skyrocket

#27 2017-01-09 00:57:25

boneyard
Silver Stacker
Website

Despite the recent issues, a carton of Australian fresh milk sells for up to $8 a litre in Chinese supermarkets or online stores, compared to as little as $1 at home.

Pnyrrlo.jpg

More than 50,000 litres of fresh milk a week will be flown by Qantas from Hobart to China if a freight deal between VAN Dairy and the airline gets off the ground.

Subject to government and regulatory approval, the Tasmanian dairy producer's milk will be carried by Boeing 767 to Ningbo and then trucked to cities including China's capital Beijing during the first half of 2017. Qantas plans to run one flight a week but could increase the number depending on demand.

Managing director of VAN Dairy's parent company Moon Lake Investments, Sean Shwe, said there is a "huge demand" for fresh milk in China.

"Establishing this trade bridge is an exciting venture for our dairy company ... and opens the door for access for other Tasmanian producers of fresh, perishables such as seafood, fruit and vegetables," he said.

Australia's oldest dairy farm, VAN Dairy, formerly Van Dieman's Land Farms, was controversially bought by China's Moon Lake Investments in February.

Last edited by boneyard (2017-01-09 01:00:57)

"We should know where we're going, so we know when we get there..."

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: betterlatethannever, Skyrocket

#28 2017-01-09 08:43:08

systematic
Trades :   

boneyard wrote:

Despite the recent issues, a carton of Australian fresh milk sells for up to $8 a litre in Chinese supermarkets or online stores, compared to as little as $1 at home.

http://i.imgur.com/Pnyrrlo.jpg

More than 50,000 litres of fresh milk a week will be flown by Qantas from Hobart to China if a freight deal between VAN Dairy and the airline gets off the ground.

Subject to government and regulatory approval, the Tasmanian dairy producer's milk will be carried by Boeing 767 to Ningbo and then trucked to cities including China's capital Beijing during the first half of 2017. Qantas plans to run one flight a week but could increase the number depending on demand.

Managing director of VAN Dairy's parent company Moon Lake Investments, Sean Shwe, said there is a "huge demand" for fresh milk in China.

"Establishing this trade bridge is an exciting venture for our dairy company ... and opens the door for access for other Tasmanian producers of fresh, perishables such as seafood, fruit and vegetables," he said.

Australia's oldest dairy farm, VAN Dairy, formerly Van Dieman's Land Farms, was controversially bought by China's Moon Lake Investments in February.

Positive proof man made global warming is fake .... fly jumbos all over the world and screw the emissions ...

if everyone is thinking the same, we aren't thinking very much ...

#29 2017-01-09 08:57:35

Ipv6Ready
Silver Stacker
Trades :   39 

That milk is marketed to Chinese equivalent of Aussies who drink Santa Vittoria or high premium water.

Also what Chinese pay for milk doesn't address the fact farmers coop marketing to the sheeple that milk should be more than $1 a litre in Australia.

Only 12% of milk is sold by supermarket giants, according to Diary industries group. Farmer who don't want to sell to Coles and woolies can sell it to their coop that doesn't supply the supermarkets.

That is if the other coop wants their milk lol

Last edited by Ipv6Ready (2017-01-09 09:00:47)

WTB 4 to 6 grams of pure gold. Don't care if it is coin, bar or granules. Near spot, suits anyone who has been tempted to open a certicard or just have some granules to make a ring

#30 2017-01-09 15:56:47

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker
Trades :   59 

Anyone know the input costs per cow running a dairy farm

#31 2017-01-09 17:02:03

bordsilver
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

radiobirdman wrote:

Iceblue should be able to provide details.

There's significant variability between farms and it can change noticeably year to year based on fodder needs/costs or whether irrigation water is available. Over the last three years, a farmgate price of ~50 cents/litre was sufficient to cover the cash costs of production for about 80% of producers with the price being enough to also cover the total costs (i.e. depreciation costs, profits etc) for about half of these producers.

The only good tax is a repealed tax.

#32 2017-01-09 18:46:53

iceblue
Verified
Trades :   226 

bordsilver wrote:
radiobirdman wrote:

Iceblue should be able to provide details.

There's significant variability between farms and it can change noticeably year to year based on fodder needs/costs or whether irrigation water is available. Over the last three years, a farmgate price of ~50 cents/litre was sufficient to cover the cash costs of production for about 80% of producers with the price being enough to also cover the total costs (i.e. depreciation costs, profits etc) for about half of these producers.

Bordy has pretty much summed it up. No two farms have the same costs. So many factors come into play - Has the farm been passed down thru succession? - Normally low debt compared to new farmer that has just borrowed a few million to get in. From where I sit probably the next biggest concern would be LOCATION. Why the hell would anyone dairy farm in a place where you have no water - so you have to pay for it, No grass - you have to pay for feed - the combination results in low yield/production and high costs. Basically grass is the best and cheapest feed you can get with great production so picking a farm with good rain fall and pasture is a good start.
I see the dairy farmers up in the mallee screaming because the milk price has dropped, I see pictures of their dairys - its like the freaking desert and I think wtf?
The milk price historically has always been up and down, so when the milk price is up you put some away - not buy a new $100k 4 wheel drive!
Had the farmers been watching the NZ farm gate price 12 months prior they should have seen this price drop coming.
I dont agree with the Clawback MG and fonterra put in place, should be illegal, fair enough drop the milk price but the way they went about the clawback is just evil.
We see this current drop in milk price a good way to weed out high cost producers and bad operators which will reduce the glut of milk on the market which will eventually bring the price back.
Like with most things, when things are booming people jump on board looking to cash in.
We are a low cost,high producing dairy with a reputation in the industry as being top operators - if operators like us go - then the industry is truly screwed and Australians will be importing milk.

Last edited by iceblue (2017-01-09 18:50:25)

The following 5 users say thank you for this post: radiobirdman, Court Jester, Ipv6Ready, bordsilver, Skyrocket

#33 2017-01-09 18:57:35

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

You know where I live Ice, haven't seen as much hay rolling up last year since the last drought
A lot got caught out buying feed and then seen the price of milk slashed , plenty of suicides around
Not many dairy's left now most gone to beef down my road, gone from 30/40 to 3/5 left

#34 2017-01-09 19:07:29

iceblue
Verified

We have had a bumper silage and hay season, 3 massive pits of silage, 75 rolls of silage sitting on farm with another 100 or so sitting on our lease farm in stony. We have done around 100 bales of hay, and had enough grass in the rotation to get us thru to this week, this week we are starting to feed out - compared to last year feedout started late Nov - was a bad season.
Yep some dairys moved to beef, which I would say is a smart call if your a high cost producer.
The suicides are just a over-reaction, there is always help, there is always alternatives, while today may be gloomy, tomorrow the sun will shine.
There is a class action happening against the clawback and the other way out of the clawback was to change suppliers.

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Ipv6Ready, bordsilver

#35 2017-01-09 19:14:58

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

The local butcher was telling me, they have had there best hay/silage season ever over 1000 bales last year and the year before ,have never seen them buy hay
We had hardly any rain the first 6 months of last year. hardly stopped for the last 6
Make hay while the sun shines they say

#36 2017-01-09 19:22:17

iceblue
Verified

Yep winter 2015 was dry as, poor spring growth which lead into a bad summer. We bought in 5x b-double trucks of oaten hay at a cost of about $15k per truck. Gotta take the good with the bad when living on the land.

#37 2017-01-09 19:30:03

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

The butcher cant be doing to bad, bought all the land around me, payed about a $1000 more an acre more than I offered
Must be some good money to be made  out there

Last edited by radiobirdman (2017-01-09 19:30:33)

#38 2017-01-09 19:36:43

iceblue
Verified

Beef at the moment is getting good prices at market, even choppers are getting $1800~  per head, weaned fresian bull calves are pulling $350.00 per head, heifers around $450-500. But I think it will come off later in the year as the people that have jumped in in the last 2 years start to sell.

The following user says thank you for this post: radiobirdman

#39 2017-01-09 19:45:12

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

Cheap steers are a thing of the past, cant even find any cheap Dexter's, don't like paying more than $500, LOL

#40 2017-01-09 19:56:58

iceblue
Verified

I think it will pull back, buy fresian steers just weaned, they get a bit leggy but if you can hold/carry them for 18 months you will still make a good $. Bit heavier under foot tho, so to make sure your pastures dont pug too much run less head or keep them out of boggy paddocks until the ground firms up after winter and run less head than you would dexters.
Iam doing weaned bulls, steers and heifers dehorned, nlis tagged and vacs so if you want some let me know, will be ready Aug- sept to go into pasture.

The following user says thank you for this post: radiobirdman

#41 2017-01-09 20:01:46

radiobirdman
Silver Stacker

Got 14 on at the moment, running with the sheep
Be gone before it gets to wet, easy money

#42 2017-01-09 20:48:42

Mbutler
Silver Stacker
Trades :   30