Announcement

Forum registration is open.

#1 2016-11-24 22:45:21

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Trades :   102 
Website

Coding

Any recommendations for onliine resources to learn coding that don't involve traditional tertiary education? The person I'm thinking about has prior experience in the area.

Google search came up with this at the top: https://www.codecademy.com/

Looking for feedback from anyone who has first hand experience in learning coding in this way.

The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.
"The Woolgrower's Companion", 1906.

#2 2016-11-24 22:49:23

Jislizard
Silver Stacker
Trades :   57 

Re: Coding

I read 'C for Dummies' didn't help.

Now stacking: World Junk Silver Coins.
Swap your older, worn, dirty fractional silver coins for fiat, .999 rounds or legal tender. 
Individual coins, mixed lots or bulk. 
Not looking for Australian, bent, holed or damaged coins, thanks!

The following user says thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!

#3 2016-11-24 23:14:12

sfstacker
Trades :   

Lynda.com or just Youtube.

#4 2016-11-25 02:27:55

willrocks
Silver Stacker
Trades :   29 

Depends on what they want to accomplish?

"You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

#5 2016-11-25 02:41:17

BuggedOut
Trades :   37 

Language?  Framework?  Methodology?

What's the previous experience?

I've worked professionally in this space for a couple decades and while it changes a lot with quick technological advances, I've found the best way to learn is by doing.  Pick a project, set a goal and then just start writing.  Google up code samples, developer resources and libraries, get on forums and ask specific questions to specific challenges and just keep improving.  Think of a codebase as a bit like pottery.  You start with a lump of clay and gradually shape it and turn it into something elegant.

A good place to start asking questions is :-

http://www.stackoverflow.com

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, Accumulator

#6 2016-11-25 03:46:13

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

willrocks wrote:

To learn to code - I'd assume the basics are all the same. Edit to add: he wants to design an app.

Last edited by mmm....shiney! (2016-11-25 03:48:02)

The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.

#7 2016-11-25 04:03:51

BuggedOut
Trades :   37 

Assuming it's an app for mobile (rather than a web app)

Pick a platform :-

https://clutch.co/app-development/platforms

#8 2016-11-27 16:48:46

willrocks
Silver Stacker

mmm....shiney! wrote:
willrocks wrote:

To learn to code - I'd assume the basics are all the same. Edit to add: he wants to design an app.

Beyond primitive variables and simple control structures it becomes vastly different.

"You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

#9 2016-11-27 16:53:37

Shaddam IV
Silver Stacker

Buy an Arduino, Beaglebone or similar and start making stuff! Cheap, fun and the coding can be as easy or difficult as you choose depending on what cool projects you want to build. There is also a massive internet community for each of these platforms. You would be learning by building and coding actual useful devices.

#10 2016-11-27 17:22:38

Abossy
Silver Stacker
Trades :   63 

Pluralsight for video training....plenty of beginner series in there.

#11 2016-11-29 22:29:14

Shaddam IV
Silver Stacker

Here you go: Alison online education who I am doing some courses with has a free multi-part course on Visual Basic:

https://alison.com/courses/introduction … dium=email

#12 2016-11-29 22:36:37

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

Shaddam IV wrote:

Buy an Arduino, Beaglebone or similar and start making stuff! Cheap, fun and the coding can be as easy or difficult as you choose depending on what cool projects you want to build. There is also a massive internet community for each of these platforms. You would be learning by building and coding actual useful devices.

Bought the Genuino Starter Kit, bought it O/S because it's about $50 cheaper than buying it in Oz. Will see how that goes, I've also passed on the other links too.

The following user says thank you for this post: Shaddam IV

#13 2016-11-29 22:42:39

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Website

That Alison course looks well structured.

#14 2016-11-29 23:05:24

Phil_Stacker
Trades :   12 

mmm....shiney! wrote:

Any recommendations for online resources to learn coding that don't involve traditional tertiary education? The person I'm thinking about has prior experience in the area.

Google search came up with this at the top: https://www.codecademy.com/

Looking for feedback from anyone who has first hand experience in learning coding in this way.

- Find a mentor - someone you can ask dumb questions because google can't answer every dumb question.  There are heaps of people out there who love to help out.
- Be very clear on what you want to achieve.  Programming a microcontroller is not the same as programming a database server. 
- Start simple. Take baby steps.  My first microcontroller project turned an LED on and off.  Now I have a climate control system.
- Try a couple of different things to work out what you like. Different people find different languages more intuitive. I've found visual and artistic people seem to get SQL easier than "rational" accounting/engineering people (who find procedural programming easier).
- Get tertiary text books. Seriously - these books contain the foundations required for coding without the overhead of the course.  You can skip to the bits you want, but you don't know what you don't know, and even skimming these books will give you "uh ha" moments.  You can pick up really cheap books from 2nd hand (abeboooks - book exchanges and Lifeline bookfest)

#15 2016-11-30 12:08:33

Yendor
Trades :   

If you want to build mobile Apps, you need to pick a platform first.  For Apple, you need to learn Objective-C (an Object-Oriented superset of C) or for Android you need Java.

Neither one is a perfect choice for a beginner.  Java is probably easier, but C is probably more useful for learning how to program well.  (At Uni, 75% of your units will be coded in C/C++, the other 25% will be various versions of Java/SQL/Scripts.)  If you want to do embedded later, then languages in the C family will be a lot more useful.  If you want to build web apps later, Java is probably better.

#16 2016-11-30 15:44:26

willrocks
Silver Stacker

Yendor wrote:

If you want to build mobile Apps, you need to pick a platform first.  For Apple, you need to learn Objective-C (an Object-Oriented superset of C) or for Android you need Java.

Neither one is a perfect choice for a beginner.  Java is probably easier, but C is probably more useful for learning how to program well.  (At Uni, 75% of your units will be coded in C/C++, the other 25% will be various versions of Java/SQL/Scripts.)  If you want to do embedded later, then languages in the C family will be a lot more useful.  If you want to build web apps later, Java is probably better.

Apple is more Swift than objective-c. There's also a lot of cross-platform tooling e.g Xamarin ... or you can use HTML + JavaScript.

#17 2016-11-30 18:46:02

Phil_Stacker
Trades :   12 

willrocks wrote:

Apple is more Swift than objective-c. There's also a lot of cross-platform tooling e.g Xamarin ... or you can use HTML + JavaScript.

Snap - I was going to say the same thing. Xamarin is NOT true cross-platform, but it is close.  It is (in my opinion) a more logical "revised/advanced" language than Objective-C.

Board footer