Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is temporarily disabled due to a spam attack.
  • Index
  • » Sovereigns
  • » Info needed about the cheapest grading for numis Sovereigns within Aus

#1 2016-09-03 05:06:49

lucy43
Trades :   154 

Info needed about the cheapest grading for numis Sovereigns within Aus

Hi,
      I'm planning to grade a few numis Australian Sovereigns and a five pound gold sovereign,heard about NGC.Any other way to get them graded and slabbed?Or a certificate or valuation from a recognised coin dealer is enough to fetch a good price if I want to sell them on Ebay?Any ideas will be much appreciated and I hope the replies will be useful to many Sovereign collectors here.Thanks very much in advance.

The weak can never forgive,
Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.
                                        Mahatma Gandhi.

The following user says thank you for this post: bubblebobble2

#2 2016-09-07 04:32:25

bubblebobble2
Trades :   62 

Re: Info needed about the cheapest grading for numis Sovereigns within Aus

I think these are the only certified & recognised companies NGC & PCGS.. OZ has one called APGS which is not as well regarded as those 2... I think serial has had some experience with APGS...but I'm not quite sure

The following user says thank you for this post: lucy43

#3 2016-09-07 04:44:51

serial
Silver Stacker
Trades :   191 

apcgs is a local coin/jewellery dealer who also runs his own coin grading service. has a terrible reputation within the wider respected numismatic community and will add zero value to a coin as his word is not trusted by those in the know. his slabs are cleverly designed to give the appearance of respected coin grading company pcgs (the "a" in the apcgs holograms seems to disappear in pictures at the correct angle) and he has been known to over/under grade coins, slab problem (cleaned/polished) coins as problem free and even slab fake coins (1923 half pennies etc)
avoid like the plague!!
PCGS and ngc (and to some extent anacs) have good reputations and are trusted internationally, I have a preference for pcgs as I feel they are more consistent, have a more secure product and a better reputation for correctly grading a coin. I consider ngc on average over graded 1 point (from experience in crossing the,) and not as harsh on cleaned/problem coins.
PCGS pictures are the best as well, ngc pics are useless for confirming the coin as it is just a picture of the slabbed coin and is thus easily faked.
PCGS is more expensive to use

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: spannermonkey, lucy43, westminstrel

#4 2016-09-07 07:56:33

Ronnie 666
Silver Stacker
Trades :   175 

Problem with NGC is that they do not insure the return postage outside the USA. PCGS does insure your coins and although it cost more and takes longer, I would go with PCGS on all Australia coins and world gold.

"The Two Most Common Elements in the Universe Are Hydrogen and Stupidity" Frank Zappa

• Index
  • » Sovereigns
  • » Info needed about the cheapest grading for numis Sovereigns within Aus

Board footer