Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is archived. Please visit the new forums at www.silverstackers.com. Password reset may be required!

#1 2015-11-23 05:25:55

serial
Silver Stacker
From: wa
Registered: 2012-08-19
Posts: 3,382
Trades :   218 

Opal and diamond ring

I got this the other day and the missus doesn't like it! mad
what do you guys think? it had flashes of red in the opal and is set in 18ct gold. what do you opal experts think something like this is worth?
7864_pb220349.jpg
7864_pb220352.jpg
7864_pb220353.jpg

Offline

#2 2015-11-23 05:42:54

Skyrocket
Silver Stacker
From: Melbourne
Registered: 2014-07-20
Posts: 4,901
Trades :   36 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

serial wrote:

I got this the other day and the missus doesn't like it! mad
what do you guys think?


Did you get it for your missus or your stack?

No idea what it is worth but I like how it all looks.

If I had a missus, and got that for her and she said she didn't like it, I'd think she was ungrateful.  hmm

Offline

#3 2015-11-23 06:08:41

spannermonkey
Silver Stacker
From: Vic or pissed
Registered: 2010-06-04
Posts: 14,656
Trades :   228 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

Looks like a doublet to me ,still a nice stone & ring
Would have been forth over $10k just for the Opal if it was a solid


EXIT STAGE LEFT

Offline

#4 2015-11-23 06:19:02

silversearcher
Silver Stacker
From: Australia
Registered: 2012-11-06
Posts: 687
Trades :   13 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

Any black patch from the underside of the ring. If so it's a doublet.

Offline

#5 2015-11-23 08:28:57

serial
Silver Stacker
From: wa
Registered: 2012-08-19
Posts: 3,382
Trades :   218 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

I got it in a job lot at an deceased estate auction. Other items were nice but I thought the missus would like this ring (as I do) so I got this lot. Turns out she doesn't like rings like this sad
I just researched doublet opal and now know what that means (thanks BTW) how can I tell if it is a solid or doublet? Non destructively?

Offline

#6 2015-11-23 09:05:13

1for1
Member
From: NSW, Australia
Registered: 2011-05-02
Posts: 3,965
Trades :   276 
Website

Re: Opal and diamond ring

Looks like a triplet to me


FAV STOCK FGR - | Digi Comm Mktg | Metals  #1for1

Offline

#7 2015-11-23 09:30:17

serial
Silver Stacker
From: wa
Registered: 2012-08-19
Posts: 3,382
Trades :   218 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

1for1 wrote:

Looks like a triplet to me

wht do you say that? I read
"An opal triplet is similar to a doublet, but has a third layer, a domed cap of clear quartz or plastic on the top. The cap takes a high polish and acts as a protective layer for the opal. The top layer also acts as a magnifier, to emphasize the play of color of the opal beneath, which is often of lower quality. Triplet opals therefore have a more artificial appearance, and are not classed as precious opal. "
and don't see any evidence of a domed layer on top of an opal

Offline

#8 2015-11-24 06:59:26

ShinyStuff
Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2011-04-29
Posts: 608
Trades :   

Re: Opal and diamond ring

Also, looks a little like a Gilson opal to me.... I know it is hard with picture... but I would say 90% triplet, 10% man-made opal... when I see it I would know for sure in a second... but on here it is definitely an option.

Plus, the settling just doesn't look like it is 18K gold.  It looks a bit clumsy to me.  But could be totally wrong.

Hope you enjoy it as it looks nice still.

Shiny

Offline

#9 2015-11-28 21:10:34

brisbanecoin
Silver Stacker
From: Australia
Registered: 2011-02-24
Posts: 724
Trades :   125 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

silversearcher wrote:

Any black patch from the underside of the ring. If so it's a doublet.


Hard to tell if its a doublet just by the underside as natural black opal can just show black from the underside. 

To confirm it is a doublet or triplet you would either need to see if from the side, which your one side shot does appear to be a clear separation however the colour appears to run through the top.  Hard to tell if its natural or reflecting from the shot. 

Another way is if you had access to a good diamond tester as a quartz should show as a 7 and an opal would only be 5.5

Most good jewellers would be able to tell with a loupe looking at in person though pretty quickly (looking at the edge of the colour for natural vs. synthetic or if its solid compared to a doublet)

Also with nothing to scale it against, its hard to tell how big the opal is so very hard to give a rough value without knowing approximate ct weight.

Best of luck!

Last edited by brisbanecoin (2015-11-28 21:11:32)

Offline

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: serial, 1for1

#10 2015-11-29 07:06:47

ShinyStuff
Member
From: Australia
Registered: 2011-04-29
Posts: 608
Trades :   

Re: Opal and diamond ring

Any news?  Have you had it checked out yet????

Shiny.

Offline

#11 2016-04-25 23:46:47

DSK
Member
From: Sydney
Registered: 2010-02-24
Posts: 617
Trades :   50 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

you should be able to tell by using a loupe.
just follow any "line" you see on the edge of gem.
and move the ring while looking through the loupe to catch lightatdifferent angles.
You will definitely see "lines", which are actually joins of materials

serial wrote:
1for1 wrote:

Looks like a triplet to me

wht do you say that? I read
"An opal triplet is similar to a doublet, but has a third layer, a domed cap of clear quartz or plastic on the top. The cap takes a high polish and acts as a protective layer for the opal. The top layer also acts as a magnifier, to emphasize the play of color of the opal beneath, which is often of lower quality. Triplet opals therefore have a more artificial appearance, and are not classed as precious opal. "
and don't see any evidence of a domed layer on top of an opal


A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold
Proverbs 22:1

Offline

#12 2016-04-26 00:09:59

Flyinfree
Member
From: PERTH
Registered: 2015-02-05
Posts: 1,011
Trades :   67 

Re: Opal and diamond ring

DSK wrote:

you should be able to tell by using a loupe.
just follow any "line" you see on the edge of gem.
and move the ring while looking through the loupe to catch lightatdifferent angles.
You will definitely see "lines", which are actually joins of materials

serial wrote:
1for1 wrote:

Looks like a triplet to me

wht do you say that? I read
"An opal triplet is similar to a doublet, but has a third layer, a domed cap of clear quartz or plastic on the top. The cap takes a high polish and acts as a protective layer for the opal. The top layer also acts as a magnifier, to emphasize the play of color of the opal beneath, which is often of lower quality. Triplet opals therefore have a more artificial appearance, and are not classed as precious opal. "
and don't see any evidence of a domed layer on top of an opal

Yes, if you got a raw stone but you wouldn't see it if it as been sealed.

Anyway, it was Triplet! :-)

Last edited by Flyinfree (2016-04-26 00:10:49)

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: 1for1

#13 2016-08-09 11:02:21

Luriya
New Member
From: New York City
Registered: 2015-03-31
Posts: 9
Trades :   
Website

Re: Opal and diamond ring

Looks like a very beautiful ring, but it does have that olden-day-type feel to it. I can see why she wouldn't want to wear it. But still, beautiful ring. The colors in the middle are gorgeous.

Last edited by Luriya (2016-08-09 11:03:51)


"If speaking is Silver, then listening is gold " - Turkish Proverb

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB