Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

This forum is archived. Please visit the new forums at www.silverstackers.com. Password reset may be required!
  • Index
  • » Banknotes
  • » Printable chipless RFID for Australian polymer banknotes

#1 2016-02-11 03:37:55

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Trades :   122 
Website

Printable chipless RFID for Australian polymer banknotes

A number of research papers mention printable, chipless RFID tags with specific reference to Australian Polymer banknotes.  I wonder if this is something we could realistically see in some future generation of notes?

For example, from one paper:

The tag encodes 23 bits of data between 5 and 10.7 GHz. The chipless tag is comprised of a vertically- polarized UWB disc-loaded monopole receiving tag antenna, a multiresonating circuit and a horizontally-polarized UWB transmitting tag antenna designed using CPW technology. The chipless tag is designed to fit the Australian banknote and its dimensions are 108mm by 64mm. The spirals were etched out with the spiral trace and separation between spiral traces being 0.2 mm. The 50 ohm CPW strip line was designed to be 2.5 mm with the gap separation from the ground plane being 0.15 mm. The spirals were etched in the strip line with a 3 mm separation between adjacent cascaded spirals.

yi8bwSG.png

http://cdn.intechweb.org/pdfs/14423.pdf

Catus amat piscem, sed non vult tingere plantas

#2 2016-02-11 03:43:03

fiatphoney

Re: Printable chipless RFID for Australian polymer banknotes

Is this the ATO homing pigeon note.

And through his policy also he shall cause craft to prosper in his hand; and he shall magnify himself in his heart, and by peace shall destroy many: he shall also stand up against the Prince of princes; but he shall be broken without hand.   Daniel 8:25

#3 2016-02-11 03:43:35

willrocks
Silver Stacker
Trades :   29 

Why bother. It looks like they'll abolish cash before this gets off the ground.

Even if it was implemented. How many would get destroyed by placing in the microwave for 5 seconds?

Last edited by willrocks (2016-02-11 03:45:00)

"You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

#4 2016-02-11 03:44:27

whinfell
Silver Stacker
Trades :   46 

Better check the new $5 note when it's released: http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … e-way.html

#5 2016-02-11 03:50:39

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

willrocks wrote:

Even if it was implemented. How many would get destroyed by placing in the microwave for 5 seconds?

What if the legitimacy (and value) of the note is dependent on accurately reading the RFID and anything else considered a potential forgery?

Check this out:

Dynamic Intelligent Currency Encryption (DICE)

Dynamic Intelligent Currency Encryption (DICE) is a security technology introduced in 2015 by British company EDAQS, which devaluates banknotes remotely that are illegal or have been stolen. The technology is based on identifiable banknotes - that could be an RFID chip or a barcode - and connects to a digital security system to verify the validity of the banknote. The system claims that the banknotes are unforgeable and contribute to solve cash-related problems as well as fight crime and terrorism. In another note, the DICE benefits cover and solve almost all cash-related issues that are seen by governments to be a motivation for the progressive abolition of cash

#6 2016-02-11 03:51:42

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

"...devaluates banknotes remotely that are illegal or have been stolen."

"...observes suspicious activities"

M4cr4RI.jpg

How does DICE work?

DICE consists of a sophisticated composition that connects the advantages of different technologies and incorporates them in an encompassing level of security. The basic procedure is initiated by an identifiable DICE banknote with an RFID-chip or a readable code that checks the validity with the DICE system via the reading device, called DICE cloud, and a centralized registration system. A security unit checks whether the system functions properly, but also manages invalid banknotes and observes suspicious activities. If a DICE banknote falls through the system, the RENODE mechanism initiates the immediate remote devaluation.

For example; at the bank counter each of the customer's banknotes is registered with the DICE system. In the event of a bank robbery, the bank robber may get away as fast as he wants, since the stolen banknotes can be devalued immediately with the push of a button. Thereby, the risk of robbing a bank becomes worthless.Plus, the DICE procedure was designed in a way that even a total blackout of the system would not interfere with cash circulation.

How exactly does artificial intelligence come into play here?
AI relies in the systems behind. They screen and monitor the banknote circulation and process the devaluation requests.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/future-b … -gonsalvez

Last edited by SpacePete (2016-02-11 03:58:34)

#7 2016-02-11 04:03:48

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

fiatphoney wrote:

Is this the ATO homing pigeon note.

In Australia, ATO comes to you.

#8 2016-02-11 04:04:42

willrocks
Silver Stacker

SilverPete wrote:
willrocks wrote:

What if the legitimacy (and value) of the note is dependent on accurately reading the RFID and anything else considered a potential forgery?

So if the fragile rfid circuitry is damaged for any reason it instantly becomes a forgery? I can't see that working out too well. At least with current bank notes you can get replacements, even when badly damaged.

"You can ignore reality, but you cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

#9 2016-02-11 04:09:07

SilverDJ

willrocks wrote:

They won't abolish cash in the foreseeable future. Post all the data of declining cash transaction you want, it's not going to happen.

#10 2016-02-11 04:09:12

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

willrocks wrote:

So if the fragile rfid circuitry is damaged for any reason it instantly becomes a forgery? I can't see that working out too well. At least with current bank notes you can get replacements, even when badly damaged.

Who says it's fragile in normal use? (barring zapping it with a microwave)  You'd assume it would only be utilized if it was resilient to damage, otherwise it would be a nightmare of angry citizens returning notes.

#11 2016-02-11 04:21:03

willrocks
Silver Stacker

SilverPete wrote:
willrocks wrote:

Who says it's fragile in normal use? (barring zapping it with a microwave)  You'd assume it would only be utilized if it was resilient to damage, otherwise it would be a nightmare of angry citizens returning notes.

I've used and seen many damaged notes (torn) still in circulation. I doubt a RFID circuit could survive being torn in half.

Damage could occur from:

Static electricity
Physical damage
Electromagnetic
Moisture
Sunlight

#12 2016-02-11 04:25:29

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

willrocks wrote:
SilverPete wrote:
willrocks wrote:

I've used and seen many damaged notes (torn) still in circulation. I doubt a RFID circuit could survive being torn in half.

Damage could occur from:

Static electricity
Physical damage
Electromagnetic
Moisture
Sunlight

Very good environmental robustness is a supposed feature of chipless RFID. They are large and encode relatively few bits of information so would have significant redundancy for error correction.

#13 2016-02-11 04:29:12

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

Survivability and usability in adverse environmental conditions are certainly a focus.  For example, from a patent on a chipless RFID:

The reading of data from RFID tags can be adversely affected by environmental parameters, such as extremes in temperature (and especially high temperatures) and also magnetic fields. This can be a significant shortcoming for certain applications of RFID technology. It is an aspect of the present invention to provide a passive, chipless RFID tag that is low cost, and or of reduced size, and/or applicable to a large range of substrates, and/or having improve data capacity, and/or the ability to reliably function in the presence of magnetic fields, and/or the ability to reliably function within a broad range of temperatures.

http://www.google.com/patents/WO2013096995A1?cl=en

#14 2016-02-11 04:31:53

willrocks
Silver Stacker

SilverPete wrote:

Survivability and usability in adverse environmental conditions are certainly a focus.  For example, from a patent on a chipless RFID:

The reading of data from RFID tags can be adversely affected by environmental parameters, such as extremes in temperature (and especially high temperatures) and also magnetic fields. This can be a significant shortcoming for certain applications of RFID technology. It is an aspect of the present invention to provide a passive, chipless RFID tag that is low cost, and or of reduced size, and/or applicable to a large range of substrates, and/or having improve data capacity, and/or the ability to reliably function in the presence of magnetic fields, and/or the ability to reliably function within a broad range of temperatures.

So they're stuffed after they've been through the washing machine and dryer. Too bad if you microwave your clothes or put them in the oven. lol

Last edited by willrocks (2016-02-11 04:33:50)

#15 2016-02-11 04:33:30

serial
Silver Stacker
Trades :   218 

I was at a bank today getting a largish sum of cash out. the lady at the counter seemed insulted when I counted it in front of her as the "machine" that dispensed the cash said it was the right amount. I told her I don't trust machines with my money and ensured I had the right amount. With this tech workers at banks will get more and more reliant on tech to do their jobs and consequently more bank errors will be made when tech malfunctions. Now who do you think will benefit most from this?

The following user says thank you for this post: sammysilver

#16 2016-02-11 04:38:19

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

willrocks wrote:
SilverPete wrote:

So they're stuffed after they've been through the washing machine and dryer. Too bad if you microwave your clothes or put them in the oven. lol

Ok, sure, people who microwave their clothes and put them in the oven may have an issue. But I think they may have bigger issues to worry about in that case.

Washing machines are fine however:  "...the presented tag can be used in water contained environment without evident degradation in the reading performance. "
http://kth.diva-portal.org/smash/get/di … TEXT01.pdf

#17 2016-02-11 04:42:54

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Website

Anyway, the debate of the feasibility of this tech is just academic and, as willrocks said, we'll very likely go cashless anyway making this a pointless exercise.

#18 2016-02-11 05:26:31

SydneySilver
Trades :   27 

I'd be impressed if the RFID could survive near the presence of a large-ish rare-earth magnet

#19 2016-02-11 05:26:38

bron suchecki
Silver Stacker
Website

13_dice.jpg

FYI, the banknotes the dealer holds are now devalued, so the dealers could get stiffed with this tech.

Last edited by bron suchecki (2016-02-11 05:29:15)

Disclosure: I work for the Perth Mint. What I say is done in a personal capacity and is not endorsed by the Mint.

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: SpacePete, whinfell, SydneySilver

#20 2016-02-11 05:55:42

bron suchecki
Silver Stacker
Website

Diagram not the best, i meant that yes it is worth buying gold as that can't be "devaluated"

Disclosure: I work for the Perth Mint. What I say is done in a personal capacity and is not endorsed by the Mint.

• Index
  • » Banknotes
  • » Printable chipless RFID for Australian polymer banknotes

Board footer