Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is open.

#1 2014-04-02 02:29:39

House
Moderator/ Legend
From: Stack City
Registered: 2012-04-30
Posts: 9,635
Trades :   232 

7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

How many ring true for you?

"I'm talking 'bout, step out your door, make some moves, and get-some-shit-done, kind of skills! Some, move out your mama's house, quit your job — say "turkle the world" — and then actually go do it, kind of skills".

The kind of skills you develop in the real world, outside the bubble of your parents protection or the ideological indoctrination that has overwhelmed our entire educational system.

Skills that can be had by anyone willing to pay the price to get them. Skills that are quickly becoming extinct.

I'm talking about skills that cannot be taught in a classroom or in a textbook. Skills you can only learn by doing; by learning how to fly after jumping off the cliff.

Skills that can only be developed when you find your true self. When you put yourself on the line or otherwise expose yourself to the possibility of failure.

The skills you can only develop when you are willing to risk it all in order to do that one amazing thing.

Skills that up until now, you thought you had.

"Basically, what I am trying to tell you is that, in this game called life, you don't stand a chance…

1. Because You Have Not Failed Enough
Because you are comfortable in your mediocrity; because you choose not to try.

Because it is easier to talk about learning that new (programming?) language as opposed to actually learning it.

Because you think everything is too hard or too complicated so you will just "sit this one out", or maybe you'll, "do-it-tomorrow"!

Because you hate your job but won't get a new one; because it is easy to reject rejection.

Because while you're sitting around failing to try, I  am out there trying to fail, challenging myself, learning new things and failing as fast as possible.

Because as I fail, I learn, and then adjust my course to make sure my path is always forward. Like the process of annealing steel, I've been through the fire and pounded into shape. The shape of a sword with polished edges and a razor sharp blade that will cut you in half if you are not equally hardened.

2. Because You Care What Others Think About You
Because you have to fit in.

Because you believe that being different is only cool if you're different in the same way that other people are different.

Because you are afraid to embrace your true self for fear of how the world will see you. You think that because you judge others, this means that those people must, in-turn, be judging you.

Because you care more about the stuff you have as opposed to the things you've done.

Because while you're out spending your money on new outfits, new cars, overpriced meals or nights at the bar, I'll be investing in myself. And while you try to fit in with the world I'll make the world fit in with me.

Because I will recklessly abandon all insecurities and expose my true self to the world. I will become immune to the impact of your opinion and stand naked in a crowd of ideas; comfortable in knowing that while you married the mundane I explored the exceptional.

3. Because You Think You Are Smarter Than You Are
Because you did what everyone else did; you studied what they studied and read what they read.

Because you learned what you had to learn in order to pass their tests and you think that makes you smart.

Because you think learning is only something people do in schools.

Because while you were away at college, I was studying life; because instead of learning about the world in a classroom I went out and learned it by living.

Because I know more than any piece of paper you could ever frame from a university. Because smart is not what you learn, it's how you live.

Because I might not have a degree but I challenge you to find a topic that I can't talk to you about cohesively.

Because I could pass your tests if I had to, but you couldn't stand for a single second in the face of the tests that life has thrown me. Tests that are not graded on a bell curve or by percentages; tests that are graded by one simple stipulation: survival!

4. Because You Don't Read
Because you read the things you are required to read or nothing at all.

Because you think history is boring and philosophy is stupid.

Because you would rather sit and watch "E!" or "MTV" instead of exploring something new, instead of diving head first, into the brain of another man in an attempt to better understand the world around you.

Because you refuse to acknowledge that all the power in the world comes from the words of those that lived before us. That anything you desire can be had by searching through the multitude of words that are available to us now more abundantly than ever before.

Because you are probably not reading this article even though you know you should.

Because the people that are reading this already know these things.

Because you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

5. Because You Lack Curiosity
Because you get your news from copy-cat members of the state-controlled media.

Because you are unwilling to ask this simple question… "What if it's all a lie?", and accept the possibility that maybe it is; that just maybe, the methods of mass media are under direct orders to: keep you distracted.

Because you call me a know-it-all but refuse to call yourself a know-nothing-at-all.

Because I thirst for knowledge, regardless the topic.

Because while you're busy playing Candy Crush, or Megalopolis, I am reading about string theory and quantum mechanics.

Because while you waste your time with Tosh.o I am learning how to edit video, build websites and design mobile apps.

Because if we were to go heads-up in a debate, I would crush you. I would make it a point to defeat my own argument; from every imaginable angle;  in order to understand everything you might be able to use against me.

Because I would dedicate myself to understanding both sides of the argument so thoroughly that I could argue your side for you and win; even after having just handed you a defeat in the same debate.

6. Because You Don't Ask Enough Questions
Because you do not question authority.

Because you don't question yourself.

Because you don't understand the power of properly placed questioning in life, respectful disagreements and standing up for what you know to be right in the face of someone telling you otherwise. Unable to question reality; stuck in a self imposed survival strategy within a matrix-style monotony.

Because I know that you will give me all the information I need to destroy you by letting you talk.

Because I study human behaviors and you ignore everyone but yourself.

Because I watch how you say the things you say just as closely as I listen to what you say; and you say way too much!

Because control comes, not from spewing your ignorance like some incurable case of logorrhea, but from properly structuring the context of your questions.

Because I study the premise of your argument and destroy it from the ground level before you even get a chance to establish your ideas.

7. Because You Can't Handle The Truth
Because you refuse to admit that you don't even know the things you don't know.

Because there isn't an article online that would make up for all the time you have wasted in life.

Because even if I told you everything could be different tomorrow you would wait until then to begin doing anything about it.

Because even when you think I'm not, I'm aware of my surroundings.

Because you think that since I have not acknowledged you, it means that I have not seen you.

Because, you walk around with your head up your ass, oblivious to the world around you. Blissfully ignorant of the reality that sits so close to your face that if you stuck your tongue out, just once, you would taste it and realize how delicious the truth actually is.

Because you would become an instant addict. Unable to pull yourself from the teat of truth. Finally able to understand your lack of understanding, and then you would see; then you would know that the only thing holding you back from doing something truly amazing, is you.

Raymmar


WBI- 41.16

"There's no point in paying a mortgage on an asset that is going to fall by 40 per cent or so in the next few years". Steve Keen, 2008.
Stacker FAQ'S. New threads welcome- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … faq-s.html

Offline

The following 15 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, Rick4691, Agnostic, boneyard, Scyb, utopia24, The Fisher King, Lord_Dudley, Ceallach, frybuys, GBN, baja, smk762, Arsenal, billybob888

#2 2014-04-02 02:48:13

Rick4691
Silver Stacker
From: Geraldton WA
Registered: 2013-09-29
Posts: 561
Trades :   45 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

very deep House, can I have some of what your on? lol

Offline

#3 2014-04-02 02:50:42

whinfell
Silver Stacker
From: Australia
Registered: 2012-03-22
Posts: 3,325
Trades :   45 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

What are they selling? hmm

Offline

#4 2014-04-02 03:03:38

yurana
Silver Stacker
From: australia
Registered: 2012-10-10
Posts: 348
Trades :   72 
Website

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

yurana wrote:

That is gold house
Off to climb mt Everest tommorrow


sorry today


"NO FEAR" It has cost me dearly but it has  been fun.

Offline

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: House, BullionDollarMan, DanielM

#5 2014-04-02 03:07:34

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
From: 昆士蘭
Registered: 2010-11-15
Posts: 15,941
Trades :   102 
Website

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

Thanks House, I bought a couple of copies of Jack Delosa's "Unprofessional" for my kids. I'm a couple of chapters into it before I send it away, similar message so far. smile


The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.
"The Woolgrower's Companion", 1906.

Online

#6 2014-04-02 04:49:26

House
Moderator/ Legend
From: Stack City
Registered: 2012-04-30
Posts: 9,635
Trades :   232 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

lara4691 wrote:

very deep House, can I have some of what your on? lol

Ha! Watched Jobs and it got me all tingly... That and some Glenlivet 18yo big_smile

whinfell wrote:

What are they selling? hmm

The opportunity to motivate and improve yourself, for free smile It's some random guy from a blog but some wise words indeed.

mmm....shiney! wrote:

Thanks House, I bought a couple of copies of Jack Delosa's "Unprofessional" for my kids. I'm a couple of chapters into it before I send it away, similar message so far. smile

Lucky kids! How is it so far? Only found out about Jack a few days ago but he's already reminding me a lot of Jamie McIntyre. Sill, signed up for the "Entrepreneurs' Unconvention" in Syd in Sept so looking forward to that.


WBI- 41.16

"There's no point in paying a mortgage on an asset that is going to fall by 40 per cent or so in the next few years". Steve Keen, 2008.
Stacker FAQ'S. New threads welcome- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … faq-s.html

Offline

#7 2014-04-02 05:04:57

trew
Silver Stacker
From: Melbern
Registered: 2011-08-24
Posts: 3,958
Trades :   

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

8. Because you spend all your time on Internet forums.

Online

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: petey, Carl0

#8 2014-04-02 06:13:45

10ozhound
Member
From: Crows Nest
Registered: 2013-05-03
Posts: 476
Trades :   26 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

Lol.
1 & 2 check, yep that's me all over.
3 just insults anyone who can agree with points one and two, therefore rendering the remainder of the text worth nothing more than a skim read which berates the reader in the headings alone.

But you now what.

turtle that shit, I am waaaay smarter than I actually think I am.


The closer you look, the less you'll see.

Offline

#9 2014-04-02 06:50:43

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
From: 昆士蘭
Registered: 2010-11-15
Posts: 15,941
Trades :   102 
Website

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

House wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:

Thanks House, I bought a couple of copies of Jack Delosa's "Unprofessional" for my kids. I'm a couple of chapters into it before I send it away, similar message so far. smile

Lucky kids! How is it so far? Only found out about Jack a few days ago but he's already reminding me a lot of Jamie McIntyre. Sill, signed up for the "Entrepreneurs' Unconvention" in Syd in Sept so looking forward to that.

Only a couple of chapters in so so far nothing astounding.

2 things I have picked up is use the media to do the advertising for you and network with like minded businesses that will promote your product for you.

So I've set up a Facebook page (I don't do facebook personally so this is a big move), I'm updating it daily whereas our webpage doesn't get touched for weeks.

We will invite the owners of the local accommodation facilities (motels and caravan parks) to a free dinner, if we offer them say a $40 dinner as a thank you, in reality it'll probably only cost us $26.

PS: I'm too old for that convention. lol

Edit to add: but I did register my kids for a free ticket. wink

Last edited by mmm....shiney! (2014-04-02 06:54:16)


The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.
"The Woolgrower's Companion", 1906.

Online

#10 2014-04-02 06:54:40

goanna
Silver Stacker
From: Australia
Registered: 2013-03-30
Posts: 568
Trades :   21 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

7. Because You Can't Handle The Truth

And so says Jack Nicholson.

Offline

#11 2014-04-02 15:21:43

boneyard
Silver Stacker
From: 55G 528505 5257160 TASSIE
Registered: 2009-07-10
Posts: 6,119
Website

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

mmm....shiney! wrote:
House wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:

Thanks House, I bought a couple of copies of Jack Delosa's "Unprofessional" for my kids. I'm a couple of chapters into it before I send it away, similar message so far. smile

Lucky kids! How is it so far? Only found out about Jack a few days ago but he's already reminding me a lot of Jamie McIntyre. Sill, signed up for the "Entrepreneurs' Unconvention" in Syd in Sept so looking forward to that.

Only a couple of chapters in so so far nothing astounding.

2 things I have picked up is use the media to do the advertising for you and network with like minded businesses that will promote your product for you.

So I've set up a Facebook page (I don't do facebook personally so this is a big move), I'm updating it daily whereas our webpage doesn't get touched for weeks.

We will invite the owners of the local accommodation facilities (motels and caravan parks) to a free dinner, if we offer them say a $40 dinner as a thank you, in reality it'll probably only cost us $26.

PS: I'm too old for that convention. lol

Edit to add: but I did register my kids for a free ticket. wink


Link?

your tab link to website is guns, security etc.

where is the facebook food stuff?


"We should know where we're going, so we know when we get there..."

Offline

The following user says thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!

#12 2014-04-02 18:11:47

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
From: 昆士蘭
Registered: 2010-11-15
Posts: 15,941
Trades :   102 
Website

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

^ I'm trying to retain at least some anonymity boney old boy.  smile


The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.
"The Woolgrower's Companion", 1906.

Online

#13 2014-04-05 09:09:23

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
From: 昆士蘭
Registered: 2010-11-15
Posts: 15,941
Trades :   102 
Website

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

Ruslan Kogan:

Ruslan Kogan was born to Russian Jewish parents,[23][24] and moved with his sister Svetlana and parents to Australia in 1989.[25]

He grew up in the Elsternwick commission flats, and started his first business at the age of 10 by finding lost golf balls, cleaning them and selling them for $0.50/each[25] to golfers at Elsternwick Golf Course on Saturday mornings.[26]

He was interested in technology from an early age, building his first computer at the age of nine.[27] He has started approximately 20 businesses since the age of 10, with Kogan Technologies his most recent and most successful venture.[28]

^ That's from wikipedia, and from another source:

Ruslan Kogan's unconventional path to a $315 million fortune

RUSLAN Kogan is the founder of Kogan Technologies and was ranked number four on the BRW Young Rich List 2013 with a $315 million fortune. Here, he writes for news.com.au about what it takes to be an entrepreneur and how he got his idea off the ground.

I BELIEVE an entrepreneur is an inventor and athlete in one.

They are an inventor because they need to see the marketplace like nobody before them has seen it and invent a product or service that enhances people's lives.

They are also an athlete, because once they have come up with the invention, they need to work their arse off in order to turn it into reality, no matter what obstacles the business environment throws at them.

Ever since the The Social Network came out, I have seen 'entrepreneurs' pop up everywhere with one simple goal — to find a venture capitalist to back them.

I even get people emailing me and adding me on LinkedIn with the self proclaimed title 'entrepreneur' — seriously?

It's great that the movie has promoted entrepreneurship, but many people need to realise that things are much tougher in real life than in movies. I didn't watch Spiderman and decide to try become a superhero.

And this seems to be a common thread among all successful young entrepreneurs, Delosa echoes the same view:

Kogan says: Before starting Kogan, I had to ignore the advice of my mum ("Why are you quitting this great paying job to become a TV salesman?"), supposed business experts ("No-one will ever buy TVs online without seeing it first!"), and friends ("This is not going to work! People won't buy anything other than books or CDs online").

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business … 6875408557


The woolgrower's target shall be the good thriving of his flock and its pastures, and so of himself and those whose livelihoods depend on his enterprise.
"The Woolgrower's Companion", 1906.

Online

The following user says thank you for this post: House

#14 2014-04-05 19:22:40

petey
Silver Stacker
Registered: 2010-05-18
Posts: 1,149

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

I highly recommend reading Harry Browne's "How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World".

Certainly makes you realise that the reasons why you aren't doing what you want to do are excuses, not legitimate reasons.

Offline

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Clawhammer, Golden Retriever

#15 2015-08-19 01:22:24

House
Moderator/ Legend
From: Stack City
Registered: 2012-04-30
Posts: 9,635
Trades :   232 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

Some midweek motivation big_smile

And if that's too tame


WBI- 41.16

"There's no point in paying a mortgage on an asset that is going to fall by 40 per cent or so in the next few years". Steve Keen, 2008.
Stacker FAQ'S. New threads welcome- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … faq-s.html

Offline

#16 2015-08-19 03:00:06

Skyrocket
Silver Stacker
From: Melbourne
Registered: 2014-07-20
Posts: 4,862
Trades :   36 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

7. Because You Can't Handle The Truth


I think this goes with a few of the threads I posted. wink

Offline

#17 2015-08-19 03:20:46

Clawhammer
Silver Stacker
From: Gone Fishin'
Registered: 2010-02-26
Posts: 9,506
Trades :   

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

Most people die at age 25, but aren't buried until 75

Benjamin Franklin


Specialisation is for insects

Offline

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: Arsenal, Golden Retriever, petey

#18 2015-11-12 04:12:02

House
Moderator/ Legend
From: Stack City
Registered: 2012-04-30
Posts: 9,635
Trades :   232 

Re: 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

Met with a bunch of middle-aged retired investors last night and one of them suggested listening to The Slight Edge by Geoff Olsen, pretty thought provoking about forming the small habits for success.

Rates very highly on Amazon and only $5 for the Kindle version.

Audio version is free here.

Bit fluffy as usual but an excitable guy breaks it down succinctly


WBI- 41.16

"There's no point in paying a mortgage on an asset that is going to fall by 40 per cent or so in the next few years". Steve Keen, 2008.
Stacker FAQ'S. New threads welcome- http://forums.silverstackers.com/topic- … faq-s.html

Offline

The following 4 users say thank you for this post: silverbait, ultimacash, PM, Agnostic

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB