• » Bullion Baron: The Great Australian Dream -> Selling Your Own Home

#1 2012-04-18 02:02:05

Bullion Baron
Silver Stacker
Trades :   139 
Website

Bullion Baron: The Great Australian Dream -> Selling Your Own Home

61_bullion_baron_header_ss.gif

Bullion Baron writes... They say that the great Australian dream is to buy your own home. An action which, according to the property spruikers, will put you onto the first step of wealth creation (regardless of when you buy, just get that foot in the door!) or if you ask most baby boomers will set you up with a secure foundation from which to start your family.

Recent property market figures however suggest that the great Australian dream at the moment is the ability to sell your own home (without taking a large price hit). This is a dream which many were unable to realise as the volume of property sales fell to a 15 year low, collapsing in January to around half the number seen in January 2010 or 2011 (so more than just a seasonal drop):

Australian+National+Property+Sales+Volume.gif

The above screenshot was captured from the latest RP Data Market Update, courtesy of MacroBusiness. In the update provided by Tim Lawless (Head of Research at RP Data) he fails to adequately address the huge drop in volume in January and rather concentrates more on the minimal rise that we saw in prices over the month of March (.2% rise over March, flat over the quarter over the 8 capital cities). As pointed out by Leith at MacroBusiness the rise in March is not seasonally adjusted so the insignificant rise is really a flat result...

Read more...

CONTINUED: http://www.bullionbaron.com/2012/04/gre … r-own.html

Thanks to thatguy for the theme/title inspiration smile

Already being discussed here on Silver Stackers also (prior to posting article to blog): http://forums.silverstackers.com/message-339372.html

The following 10 users say thank you for this post: fishball, Yippe-Ki-Ya, Big A.D., Lovey80, switchtronics, madaw1, vishl01, Catseye, thatguy, Dogmatix

#2 2012-04-24 18:03:48

Mr Wizard
Trades :   

Re: Bullion Baron: The Great Australian Dream -> Selling Your Own Home

Excellent post,

To be honest, I've never believed real-estate analysts interpretation of the property market. It is though they have vested interests in supporting the ponzi housing market and they are fearful that if they give unbiased analysis the market will collapse.

#3 2012-04-24 18:24:40

thatguy
Trades :   27 
Website

Let us all be reasonable... property is often the end goal of precious metal stacking.  It certainly is for me, most here know that good timing is better then bricks/mortar OR gold/silver.

I have coveted no man's silver, or gold, or apparel.  Acts 20:33 KJV
Lay up your treasure in heaven where it cannot be debased by printing or stolen by banksters.

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Chilli, Nugget

#4 2012-04-25 01:20:49

Dogmatix
Trades :   53 

thatguy wrote:

Let us all be reasonable... property is often the end goal of precious metal stacking.  It certainly is for me, most here know that good timing is better then bricks/mortar OR gold/silver.

True, but would it be if property prices weren't so high?

I'd argue that a lot of people stack for retirement - and it just so happens that owning property is one of the traditional milestones for retirement.

If you're not stacking as a 'store of wealth', then you're speculating.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think speculators are the ones who cry loudest when things don't go their way. Just like property speculators. I'd say, be careful about going all-in on speculation, particularly if you're in a minority group like stackers are, because populist Govt policies could be your undoing.

#5 2015-10-21 08:37:57

RichardAL
Trades :   15 

Dogmatix wrote:
thatguy wrote:

True, but would it be if property prices weren't so high?

I'd argue that a lot of people stack for retirement - and it just so happens that owning property is one of the traditional milestones for retirement.

If you're not stacking as a 'store of wealth', then you're speculating.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I think speculators are the ones who cry loudest when things don't go their way. Just like property speculators. I'd say, be careful about going all-in on speculation, particularly if you're in a minority group like stackers are, because populist Govt policies could be your undoing.

bump

• Index
  • » Bullion Baron
  • » Bullion Baron: The Great Australian Dream -> Selling Your Own Home

Board footer