Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is closed. It will open again next Wednesday.

#26 2015-07-01 21:16:12

argyle
Trades :   

Re: Gold nugget spot price + what %%%

Altima wrote:

Cool. Appreciate you sharing on gold nuggets. Been wanting to buy one but I just can't justify the premium to my significant other.

Hi Altima.

If you keep track on an Aus  eBay search - gold specimen - you'll find a really nice piece of quartz and gold. Especially if seller states it was found in the Castlemaine district, Victoria. While most areas of the Victorian Goldfields produce nice specimens, Castlemaine in my mind produce the nicest.
Lovely Specimens, to my eye anyway, are much better to look at than nuggets (nuggets can get boring to look at over time, except large ones haha) and are much cheaper to buy.  Postage cheap to Canada too as small parcel .

The following user says thank you for this post: Altima

#27 2015-07-01 21:42:24

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker
Trades :   62 

argyle wrote:

Only a fool buys ordinary nuggets,  regardless of subgram, at 10% above spot.Who are you selling to? Detectorists that ho home telling their wives they found it?

It isn't "my pricing formula ", merely the market. Sometimes we get great value on a good piece, most times I have to sell, and selling at an even 'spot price' is simply not how the buying market works.

However, those that fiddle/invest can forge their own market, I'm not interested in what others do for a living or side income. I Dig it.

You're the one doing the digging, but you have no interest in getting correct current market value to cover your labor and expenses.

Small high grade (tested) nuggets imo are a good way for people to buy gold. From a buyers perspective, at spot plus 10% the premiums are at the lower end of retail/resale prices for other forms of fractional gold. People have paid me higher than spot price in private sales because they know exactly what they are getting and can afford the small outlay.

Small nuggets are much more liquid than larger pieces and have better potential for future resale. 1oz and larger pieces have to compete with refined coins and bars that retail at much lower premiums than fractional sizes.

This is the market I buy and sell in, if I mostly found larger nuggs I might think differently. tongue

Disclosure:  Sheep are silly baaaaastards. 

#28 2015-07-02 00:03:56

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Some high grade butter gold...

2939_dscf7067.jpg

Its a term used to describe the color of extra high purity alluvial nuggets. The buttery tinge is because there is no copper or iron present, only a fart or two of silver.

Last edited by Eureka Moments (2015-07-02 00:04:55)

The following 5 users say thank you for this post: Aurora et luna, Gazza79, mmm....shiney!, scrooged, Skyrocket

#29 2015-07-02 19:12:11

argyle
Trades :   

There is no such thing as 'high grade butter gold'.....

I've met pretenders like you many times over the past 40 years EM.... None of which have any idea of 'correct market value' on any given piece. Don't talk gibberish to me again.

#30 2015-07-02 23:45:15

Gazza79
Silver Stacker
Trades :   59 

5 grams of "I cant belive its not butter" nuggets from the Golden Triangle big_smile (98+ Purity)

DwVTGxF.jpg

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: mmm....shiney!, scrooged

#31 2015-07-02 23:47:42

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

argyle wrote:

I've met pretenders like you many times over the past 40 years EM.... None of which have any idea of 'correct market value' on any given piece. Don't talk gibberish to me again.

Every time I sell nuggets or specimens I offer a refund to anybody who has second thoughts or thinks they have overpaid after receiving their goods. I am yet to issue a refund, the only question ive been asked is "Got any more?". Pretty much all my sales have been by auction and I set no reserve, the bidders/buyers decide the final price. All fair and transparent.

The original reference to high grade butter gold in this thread was made by Aurora et luna. How about calling him a pretender?

Last edited by Eureka Moments (2015-07-03 00:45:55)

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: House, Skyrocket

#32 2015-07-03 01:52:46

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Here's an upcoming auction of nuggets from Castlemaine and Bendigo...

http://www.powerfmballarat.com.au/news/ … -auctioned

98% sounds pretty high grade to me. Looks high grade in the pic too, got that "stuff that comes out of cows titties after its been churned" hue about it.

#33 2015-07-03 02:12:56

Aurora et luna
Verified
Trades :   622 
Website

I am not the originator of the description "high quality butter yellow".
However happy to wear it if someone wants to nail it to my moniker. smile
Also have never XRF a nugget with that butter yellow appearance and found it to be of low purity.
Just because someone claims that  a " butter shade usually means a lower content " doesn't mean his assumptions is correct.

The following 3 users say thank you for this post: scrooged, Eureka Moments, DSK

#34 2015-07-03 04:20:04

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

^^^ I only pointed it out because have proper credibility from your extensive business experience. You would have learned to pick high purity by color before xrf existed.

My opinions and experiences are from detecting, selling and/or trading as a hobby. I have an old cousin well into his 70s, long time prospector. When I mentioned a place I had been looking he said they called the alluvial nuggets from there butter gold. Also have several mates who currently detect and weve all used the phrase.

Butternut is the nugget color to beware of imo.

#35 2015-07-03 05:20:50

Aurora et luna
Verified
Trades :   622 
Website

^^^ Not an expert but extremely lucky! tongue
Picked up this 124 gram nugget expecting it to XRF between 93-96% fine
XRF shows 99+

6_image.jpg

The following 6 users say thank you for this post: Eureka Moments, mmm....shiney!, scrooged, Gazza79, bordsilver, Skyrocket

#36 2015-07-03 06:39:26

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Trades :   102 
Website

Eureka Moments wrote:

It's a pumpkin EM. roll

big_smile

3<

"Every day is ordinary, until it isn't."

#37 2015-07-03 06:59:26

scrooged
Trades :   52 

Aurora et luna wrote:

^^^ Not an expert but extremely lucky! tongue
Picked up this 124 gram nugget expecting it to XRF between 93-96% fine
XRF shows 99+

http://forums.silverstackers.com/uploads/6_image.jpg

Very nice.
I've only had 3 coffees today so still waking up, but I'd say you have a popcorn buttery nugget with "guts" and zero sign of what I like to call an "petroleum spill". Good get. Expect in the region of spot -15% max.

The following user says thank you for this post: Aurora et luna

#38 2015-07-03 07:19:30

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

mmm....shiney! wrote:
Eureka Moments wrote:

It's a pumpkin EM. roll

big_smile

Yeah, better than a Jap but still not high grade. wink

#39 2015-07-03 08:54:29

mmm....shiney!
Silver Stacker
Trades :   102 
Website

Eureka Moments wrote:
mmm....shiney! wrote:
Eureka Moments wrote:

It's a pumpkin EM. roll

big_smile

Yeah, better than a Jap but still not high grade. wink

Mmmm, up here Japs grow better in the hot weather. Just picked two from the back yard, both over 7kg each. Now if they were made of gold that'd fetch in excess of $350 000 each, but at $1.50/kg we're lucky to get $10.

3<

"Every day is ordinary, until it isn't."

#40 2015-07-07 17:38:33

Eureka Moments
Silver Stacker

Hey argyle, how about showing some real guts and posting in the thread under your "real" username instead of trying to pretend you're someone new.

You think you are some sort of international man of mystery and nobody will ever notice you running different accounts here so you can agree with your own crap and drivel and launch attacks on others who dont.

You're like a poor quality nugget, cheap and full of impurities.

Last edited by Eureka Moments (2015-07-09 09:42:31)

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: Gazza79, Skyrocket

#41 2015-07-10 05:14:53

Skyrocket
Silver Stacker
Trades :   36 

Eureka Moments wrote:

lol

The following user says thank you for this post: DSK

#42 2015-07-15 21:26:18

-j-p-shmorgan
Trades :   

Skyrocket wrote:
Eureka Moments wrote:

lol

lol

#43 2015-07-28 20:18:38

Gazza79
Silver Stacker
Trades :   59 

Got myself a handmade sheoak wood case the other day to keep my butter in big_smile
V7tlQ7K.jpg
Slowly but surely it shall be filled smile

The following user says thank you for this post: noah

#44 2015-10-01 15:34:19

DSK
Trades :   50 

just wait till you need to sell....you will be hammered to accept spot less 5%....
if you get spot, very lucky.....i use to buy prospectors gold at spot, or spot plus....thinking
of the rarity, but got hammered by all....specially on ss.....so i got rid of all nuggets (all over 5grams and up to half and oz)
and will not buy again....

regardless of how we all know that nuggets are rare...they are collectors items due to most being melted....
try and prove what you say....and you will get hammered....i did a trade with a ss that i respect and trade with often.
and he had pages and pages of info backing up his spot less...well this case was spot less 6%...which i found
hard to chew....though this guy was on the money and did me a favour as could have gone lower.

with nuggets, you have many people with many different opinions so there is no certainty as same with 999 bullion.
so if ss people not wanting to pay a dollar over spot for bullion grade bars....why the hell would they pay spot plus 10% for something
not 999 and unsure if nugg is actually solid...?

If you get spot less 5% when sell. you have done well....but expect at least spot less 10% on a good day with more than one bidder.

I had several horrible price discovery moments when i thought my half ouncer was rarer than a diamond.

I only kept one specimen........a rare wire gold piece in the shaped of a smile....and two little dot nuggs for eyes....
been thinking of making it my avartar for ages now.....gotta do it now//

in the bush prospectors only get spot less 20-10% from refiners...even if they are land owners...even if they live
in hargraves, hill end...even if they are repeat customers to refiner...its in there best interest to at least sell some at
a so called premium over 999 bullion, when they know its not the case.

if it was me, i wouldnt say that by my sg testing it would appear to be 22crt....if you are a company you are exposing your self to liability
when its proven to be less...i would have some one else test and give me a paper report stating the scientific qualities..

Joshtammi wrote:

well i suppose thats alright then, I picked up an 18 gram nugget for $950 today. Looks nice. Ill post up a pic soon smile I wouldn't know the purity, intact for all I know its copper plated gold haha:P

I did a specific gravity test and it would appear to be 23k gold or there about with my ancient methods (don't really have 20k for xrf lol)

A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold
Proverbs 22:1

#45 2015-10-01 15:56:58

hankS
Trades :   

Given how easy it is to melt gold and drip some out onto charcoal to make high purity "nuggets" its crazy to pay significantly over spot. But of course if its a nice shape some people will pay extra - thats the difference between collectors and investors.

"The colour of gold, is gold. Thats why its called gold" - Blackadder II

The following user says thank you for this post: DSK

#46 2015-10-01 16:30:33

DSK

.....i needed to sell a nugget only in Jan 2015.....
it was the best offer and it was not spot....main thing...that several people started saying "facts"
which i could not go against as i did not have a machine to test...and yes, thanks to xxx-namexxx even tho i didnt not get close to what i thought..
i still had to pay rego and needed cash...and xxx-name-xxx made the best offer which i accepted.he did what any buyer does...he negotiated on my price.
he put his money where his mouth is. and accepted.

so you will not get spot when you need to sell. unless you have it refined, made into a bar stamp 999 from a well know bullion co
unless you can 100% prove its solid and very pure....

Rule of thumb i learnt....that east gold highest.....when you start moving west the purity goes down....thats globally...
go west from perth to usa...and usa gold less pure.

2015-01-21 01:56:31
xxx-name-xxx)

Website
Hey mate,
(xxxxname of ss memberxxxxx)decided to have a go cause apparently my comment was misleading in that ALL nuggets are at least xx carat. IMO I still think he's wrong and he would be hard pressed to find any nugget in Australia under 18ct but who knows I could be wrong as well. Ive just never seen or heard of anything under 18ct in W.A and nuggets here are less pure than QLD/VIC nuggets.
Anyways to the point, ill offer $775 for it anyways if you get no other takers and still need to sell.
Cheers

I BLANKED OUT NAMES OF SS MEMBER WHO LOW BALLED ME AND THE NAME OF THE SS MEMBER HE REFERS TO: as this was
a private message and i have not asked permission to let this be common knowledge. I do not wish to harm any ones reputation.
i copied and pasted from my in box to show that in my experience on ss.....that regardless of what you get told....when you sell you will be
low balled...I hope the mm member who has posted comments realise that they low balled and now saying opposite.just for karma sake

Last edited by DSK (2015-10-01 17:10:05)

A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold

#47 2015-10-01 16:53:41

DSK

Correct, you can not justify premium over spot 999 bullion for something not pure and cant be said if solid.

Before people start going on about sg.....sg is a range, and when done on something so small as grams....you will not notice other impurities
like if you were testing some thing much larger...i use to sg all the time when i studied gem stone at the GAA in sydney...
even then, its very hard to get 100% accuracy....like any prudent scientist, investor, DO NOT RELY on one test...you will fail.

have seen over and over on ss that people all over the country perform sg test and such a such reading gives me this...and now i tell
people its pretty much a fact.....
and ebayyyy...people stop using ebay as a pricing source...or if do say ebay less 15% to cover fees and chargers,,,,if not very misleading....

You may as well go and work for N.A.S.A and tell the world there is water flowing on mars...by theory, though you have a rover 50km
away from so called water....now cmon...if you want to back it up...show test two, three...ect...so in case of N.A.S.A send the bloody rover to check
it out....in case of gold....dont believe i did a sg test and its this....how was test done...did they use a gem lab? what was
the temp of the water? was there a glass covering so to make a vacuum type of seal....if no to any, test is wrong..
Just like if you get a thermometer to test the weather, you have to do it in a certain way, and not just say...well this thermometer says the temp is 69 behind
closed doors....and 96 in the shed.

argyle wrote:
Altima wrote:

Cool. Appreciate you sharing on gold nuggets. Been wanting to buy one but I just can't justify the premium to my significant other.

Hi Altima.

If you keep track on an Aus  eBay search - gold specimen - you'll find a really nice piece of quartz and gold. Especially if seller states it was found in the Castlemaine district, Victoria. While most areas of the Victorian Goldfields produce nice specimens, Castlemaine in my mind produce the nicest.
Lovely Specimens, to my eye anyway, are much better to look at than nuggets (nuggets can get boring to look at over time, except large ones haha) and are much cheaper to buy.  Postage cheap to Canada too as small parcel .

#48 2015-10-01 17:40:27

DSK

Hi Argle,

Silver stacker community is built on respect....

Follow the golden rule and the rule that common law is founded on.

Treat others the way you wish to be treated.

this source talks frequently of the term........butter gold...term gives a picture of high quality.

But with your 40 years experience....I urge you to contact HNAI with your opinions and also tell HNAI
on a public online forum that they are talking gibberish and that they are pretenders...I urge you.
and see what such an entity would do being slandered in the way you have slandered a member of this community.

In case you havent heard of the The World's #1 Numismatic Dealer & Auctioneer please let them know of your opinion

http://coins.ha.com/

In this auction.....butter gold comes up a lot......
HNAI Heritage Auctions US Coin Auction Catalog #1127

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=n7 … er&f=false

You are able to back track very easily on ss by retracting sweeping statements and apologies.

Note; i was a securities pricing analyst and asset pricing analyst for major australian fund mangers and major global
custodian banks. Try telling me i talk gibberish and see how far i take your slander.

argyle wrote:

Board footer