Silver Stackers logo

Silver Stackers

Discussion forum for those
who love to stack precious metals

You are not logged in.

Announcement

Forum registration is temporarily disabled due to a spam attack.

#1 2014-11-14 22:58:30

ozcopper
Administrator
Website

Gold rush: treasure map matches gold seams with public land in NSW

In gold-digging days of yore, the whereabouts of buried riches was a secret kept firmly to oneself. But Doug Stone is breaking with tradition.

The author and prospector has spent the past four years marking out rivers, gullies, trails and old mines where anyone with a pan or pick might strike it rich – or at least cover their petrol costs.

It has resulted in the Gold Atlas of New South Wales – a modern day treasure map that matches known gold seams with accessible public land, which will be launched by Resources Minister Anthony Roberts on Monday.
Prospects: Colin Adams with nuggets found at Ophir using a metal detector.

Prospects: Colin Adams with nuggets found at Ophir using a metal detector. Photo: Phill Murray

"There is very little information available on the gold fields of NSW and a lot of people don't know where to go," Mr Stone said, adding buried gold was still abundant.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gold-rush-tre … z3J6OxU2xA

The following 7 users say thank you for this post: SpacePete, wrcmad, Holdfast, Ghost Story, Burg0, 1for1, ParanoidAndroid

#2 2014-11-14 23:22:16

JulieW
Silver Stacker

Re: Gold rush: treasure map matches gold seams with public land in NSW

It always takes one to spoil it for the rest

smile

#3 2014-11-14 23:28:37

SpacePete
Silver Stacker
Trades :   119 
Website

JulieW wrote:

It always takes one to spoil it for the rest

smile

haha... I admit I immediately went searching for the book smile

The author, Doug Stone, already has many prospecting books published.

It is published by Outdoor Press. The sites selling the book list the regions and old gold fields covered by the maps if you're curious: http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/inde … lia-1.html

Last edited by SpacePete (2014-11-14 23:28:54)

The law's duty is to protect the innocent, not to make them prove their innocence.

The following user says thank you for this post: Ghost Story

#4 2015-02-02 06:01:33

Burg0

Stumbled across a pamphlet at a nearby tourist information centre and noticed it had a website. Clearly not of the same calibre as your book OC but a great start for newbies and their families.

http://goldtrails.com.au

ozcopper wrote:

In gold-digging days of yore, the whereabouts of buried riches was a secret kept firmly to oneself. But Doug Stone is breaking with tradition.

The author and prospector has spent the past four years marking out rivers, gullies, trails and old mines where anyone with a pan or pick might strike it rich – or at least cover their petrol costs.

It has resulted in the Gold Atlas of New South Wales – a modern day treasure map that matches known gold seams with accessible public land, which will be launched by Resources Minister Anthony Roberts on Monday.
Prospects: Colin Adams with nuggets found at Ophir using a metal detector.

Prospects: Colin Adams with nuggets found at Ophir using a metal detector. Photo: Phill Murray

"There is very little information available on the gold fields of NSW and a lot of people don't know where to go," Mr Stone said, adding buried gold was still abundant.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/gold-rush-tre … z3J6OxU2xA

The following 2 users say thank you for this post: ozcopper, 1for1

#5 2015-10-01 16:02:46

DSK
Trades :   50 

easy....i do it when i go bush holiday.....for fossicking for sapphires.

first pint point an area.....read every blog ever mentioning mineral and locallity.

look for the creeks, landmarks mentioned in bloggs, or gubermint
http://www.resourcesandenergy.nsw.gov.a … historical

get a topo map......get a very detailed map....actually more maps the better....i have several good ones and
i layer that on top of a nsw mineral map...even copy any hand drawn map you find on blogg,website, gubbermint website.
you will find hand detail maps on historic finds reported to the gubbermint..read and understand this.
when you go out with mate.....you pull these out (you already studied it....) they will not believe you..but you
should be able to find exact location

learn to read maps.....learn to know what symbols are.....Eg......a triangle shows where a survey station is..
they are always on the highest peak in any area...they are always in a line of sight...i learnt this studying surveying.
learn how to read without words.

go bushwalking as often as possible....read the topo of the land, imagine how water moves in floods, over time the creek moves and can be
20 meters or so where it was hundred years ago....

main thing is know tracer elements...you find them, you will find your target.
look for a gravel type of wash....you will hit paydirt. havent been out like this in a long time/
ie, for corrundums, spinel is your tracer....for gold...always always look for dirty quartz....not the clean
white one...move on, find quarts with dark dirty streaks,,,,thats your tracer...follow where it possible moved from.

i too should right a book and sell this know ledge with using public available info...but why do that when you should be able to find..
a bit like those people doing seminars and selling trading reports...

thats my two cents

A GOOD name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold
Proverbs 22:1

Board footer